What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

• Epson RD1 family - all models

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Leica M8 / 8u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica M8.2

• Leica M9

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M9-P

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leica MM

• Leica M-E

• Leica M240 family

• Leica M-P

• Leica M60

• Leica M10

• Leica M10-P

• Leica M10-Monochrom

• Leica M10-R

• Pixii

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Leica M11

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M11 Monochrome

• Total voters

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:37 PM
Poll originally started by Raid.

This is a new version with more voting options.

2/21/21 5 New Cameras added to Poll

Votes have been reset to zero.

5/2/2023

Votes can be changed to another choice if you now prefer another camera.

M11 added, poll reset to zero

Stephen

Last edited:
In that case, mine would be the new M240 M-P. I've used it in the Leica showroom and someday I'll summon the courage to pull the trigger!

M9 (M-E)
Because I tested it against the M240 with the same lens, in the same lighting, with the same subject back to back, and preferred the results of the CCD sensor.

M8 because that's the one I own and shoot with and while I do see myself getting a newer model I'm in no rush to do so anytime soon. So Yes I will like be one of those people still shooting with the M8 when the 10 year anniversary comes around in 2016 and even after that.

The M8. I mostly shoot black and white and appreciate the extra infrared sensitivity of the M8's sensor. I also find the file size of its pictures more manageable than newer cameras'.

Well, I've only used a M8 and M9, but would imagine I'd like the M240 the best since I prefer high ISO sensors and work mostly in color.

After owning R-D1, M9 and now M240 - the M240 wins in all but one aspects: the R-D1 is just the coolest digital camera with the most "analog" handling ever. But for everything else, the M240 wins.

I had the M8.2 and hated it.
I have the M240 now and like it more then my Canon 6d.

Though, I still like my M7 the most.

I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.

I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.

The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G

Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.

The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. That makes a lot of sense to me and highlights some of the benefits of 240. Now maybe I need to wait for the M240 to come down in price and not the M9? :)

Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.

Your comments about your M9 really resonated with me and my experience with my M8. I know people may be quick to bash Leicas as antiquated, costly, better options out there for price, etc. But for me shooting with a rangefinder works really well for me, my photography has improved, and most importantly my LOVE of photography and getting out there shooting has increased immensely. Its totally changed the hobby for me in a great way. They are lovely cameras.

I voted M9. Having never tried the 240 or MM.

I had an R-D1 that was nice, but ended up selling it when Epson stopped supporting them.
Still have an M8 that I've really liked, but I like my new M9 more.

Back