What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

• Epson RD1 family - all models

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Leica M8 / 8u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica M8.2

• Leica M9

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M9-P

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leica MM

• Leica M-E

• Leica M240 family

• Leica M-P

• Leica M60

• Leica M10

• Leica M10-P

• Leica M10-Monochrom

• Leica M10-R

• Pixii

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Leica M11

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M11 Monochrome

• Total voters
I have the M262 and M246, love them equally but neither appears in the poll, so I didn’t vote. Maybe they are lumped into the M240 bucket. That could skew the results.

My favorite Leica digital camera is the M10. It used to be the M9. Before that, it was the M8.

My favorite Leica digital camera is the M10. It used to be the M9. Before that, it was the M8.

Makes sense in a mathematical sort of way. You must lean Progressive.

My progression is Vario X to M240. So that's my fave.

Makes sense in a mathematical sort of way. You must lean Progressive.

My progression is Vario X to M240. So that's my fave.

The M240 seemed a Regressive step to me. I did not care for the haptics in use and skipped it altogether. Couldn't care less about video.

In fact, the M6 remained my favorite even after I got the MM v.1.
M10P is now top of the pecking order, though.

I have owned the M8.2 and M9M both briefly because I decided to stick with film full time. The M9M had the sensor corrosion and I sold it after the replacement. The M8.2 was the color back up on trips to the M7 and didn’t get much use but I liked the colors from it though for the “serious” stuff it was all film. So now having sold my film gear I have an M10M and if Leica keep up with the Monochrome models I will keep shooting them. I did buy a used M8.2 online just now because the sensor is something special and some scenes do look better in color, and also the M8 sensor can do a nice convincing monochrome conversion.

I have an M-P 240. Wish I could have the 262 inside if the M-P body (brass) but nonetheless I have turned off video and live view, so I am getting the same thing. The battery life is why I stick with the 240 as it is so much better than the M10. Pop on a 50mm 'cron and I am ready to rock!

51195252191_aa0ca7a3e7.jpg

I have an M-P 240. Wish I could have the 262 inside if the M-P body (brass) but nonetheless I have turned off video and live view, so I am getting the same thing. The battery life is why I stick with the 240 as it is so much better than the M10. Pop on a 50mm 'cron and I am ready to rock!

Battery life in my 240 is great.

I originally voted for the M-P (before I owned my M10-P). The M-P 240 has the sapphire crystal glass back and, IMHO, shoots every bit as well as the M10-P. The M10-P only has the advantage of size (thickness) and [lighter] weight - and a very quiet shutter, if that's important to you. But - as others have said - the M-P 240 has the better battery.

The M-P 240's video function is worthless if you expect to get any decent sound, so IMHO that gains you very little extra over the M10-P.

My "upgrade" to the M10-P was very timely as it was prior to two price increases, the application of German tariffs to the US, and I got maximum value from the M-P 240.

Given what I know now, I'd probably do it again - but only to get the "latest" - but not because I believe the M10-P is necessarily a "better" camera overall compared to the M-P 240.

18549359-orig.jpg

18568100-orig.jpg

My M262 is the only digital M that I've shot with, but it suits me just fine. I appreciate the simplicity of the stripped down function - it has none of the unnecessary extras such as video that the M240, etc, have. If I was looking for something to change then I guess I'd want the body to be the same thickness as a film M body, but the fact that the M262 is the same weight as my M6 means I don't really notice the extra thickness. I even prefer the silver wear on the plated alloy top plate. Oh, and I'd prefer not to need to stick black tape over the red dot.

It'll have to be my M-E Typ 220, since that's the only one I own. Just not fond of the flush viewfinder and rangefinder glass - I keep getting fingerprints on them when I carry the camera, not a problem I have with my M3 when carried in a similar manner.

I have an M8.2, an M9 and a couple of M240's. They are all alright and work about the same. The same lens can be used on any of them. I like the CCD sensor M8.2 and M9 best and shoot mostly the M9. When I shoot the A7M III it is like the old Agfachrome/Kodachrome comparison. Shoot an old chateau with Kodachrome and it looks freshly painted. Shoot it with Agfacrhome and it looks more like real. So it is with the Sony vs the Leica. And of the Leicas I prefer the CCD sensor. Maybe because I am a dumb-ass, maybe because I am stubborn, maybe because I am a Luddite but I still think the color is better on the CCD's. And while I can go full manual on the Sony I do not. I use it as a really good point and shoot. It does great. When my masochistic side surfaces it is drag out a Leica and try my best. But at the end-up it is not the pen which makes the writer.

Been a while since I looked at this thread. I'd have to say the M-D 262 was my favorite of the ones I've owned, so far, at this point in time. I don't have any at present; I presume I'll have another digital RF at some point. :)

G

Back