What's your favorite Nikon RF camera?

• Total voters

NIKON KIU

Did you say Nippon Kogaku
Local time
5:33 AM
OK, here is a Poll :)

Which Nikon RF do you like most? I left the extra box for nuts like me :eek:

Please note, this is a public Poll(your identity will be revealed),you can choose more than one answer...so get your votes in.

Kiu

Last edited:
I like my chrome S3 very much, but to be fair, it is the only Nikon rangefinder I've ever used, so I have no way to compare it to the others.
I'm very pragmatic about all my photogear, SLR or rangefinder, and consider it to be nothing more than tools for taking images, and will modify or customize a piece of equipment if that will make taking pictures easier or better.
However, I do have one affectation which is that I'm not fond of chrome cameras, and truly if I could somehow change it (without the use of Krylon Spraypaint cans), my S3 would be black.

Kiu,
Why did you leave out a button for the SPX?
I really love mine, but of course, without the button, couldn't vote for it.

Last edited:
I voted for the S3M mostly because of the sheer audacity of the thing.

But if the question had read, "Which Nikon rangefinder camera would you like to have and use?" I'd probably have voted for the S3 2002 special edition.

If I somehow actually were to get hold of an S3M, I'd probably be intimidated from using it out of fear of trashing a museum-worthy rarity. The S3 SE is expensive and uncommon (and I'm sure most owners are keeping it in the box and handling it with gloves to preserve its collector value) but to me it would seem more like a camera that should be used.

I lean toward the S3 SE over the original S3 simply because I hear the newer lens is better, and over the SP 2005 because I use a 50mm lens more than a 35. But, as my dad says when faced with similar hypothetical choices and when my mom isn't listening, "I wouldn't kick any of 'em out of bed."

S3-2000 in chrome. Why? Because someday that's the one I'll buy... :bang:

William

I think that Nikon S2 has the most well-balanced appearance, beautiful design.
So My vote goes to my S2 :)

but.... I can't forget switchable frame lines of Nikon SP!! :bang:

S3-2000. The robustness and simplisity will last three or four lifetimes! Now if we can just get a few more off the shelves and on to the streets.

B2 (;->

In terms of shooting convenience I'd like to pick everything from the S2 onwards, but I'll limit my choice to two - SP 2005 and S2 (black dial of course!). :D

I normally prefer chrome over black cameras, but the SP 2005 does look VERY good ;)

Jon

the all chrome S2 with the chrome 50/1.4
available, affordable, durable.
with a 1:1 view finder, simple and uncluttered.
it never got better than this.

xayraa33 said:

What he said.:)

The only change I'd make would be the shutter speed selector and the quieter 'click' of the later S's.

xayraa33 said:

I agree with Mike about the shutter-speed selector.

An S2 was the only Nikon RF I've ever actually owned (I'd still like to own one of the later ones, but cost is an issue.) The viewfinder struck me as being on the dim side, and the non-rotating end on the rewind crank annoyed me a bit, but those were minor quibbles. The main thing I seriously disliked about it was the old-fashioned lift-and-turn shutter speed dial, which rotates as the shutter fires.

This type of dial (which also afflicts Barnack Leicas and pre-VI-series Canons) makes it really challenging to change speeds without looking, or with the camera up to your eye, or if it's too dark to see the markings -- a real drawback for an available-darkness shooter like myself. Of course Nikon got this sorted on the SP, S3, and S4, with their modern click-type shutter speed dials -- so for me, these rank higher as usable cameras.

I guess this is as good a time/place as any for this news item: it's with my infinite thanks to Mr. Bingham, that i will 'legally' be able to cast my vote in this poll very, very soon.. it can be safely assumed that my answer will be S2. ;););)

Seriously, i'm just beyond excited about this.. it's all i can do to keep from dancin'!

--c--

Back