where do you buy film?

I answered this a couple years ago, but things have changed since then. Before I said I get it from Freestyle because I was using tons of Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X). Well, that film is no longer available and I have stopped shooting 35mm. I use 120 film for most of my work now, and I get it from B&H. Used to buy locally but the camera store here stopped selling 120 BW film :(

I stock up on film at Hunts in Melrose Mass. Once a month I go by their main store. They have a satellite store in Manchester NH that is much closer, but the selection is not as good.

NZ prices for film are horrific so I don't even look now. Just waiting now for some 220 Potra for my SWC and Fuji 200 for my F6 to arrive from BH. Their service is awesome and UPS here into NZ is around $US50 and I get it in 3 days.

Just bought 50 rolls of 120 Delta 100 from HARMAN Direct (Ilford). They had a 20% discount and free delivery for the last 4 days . £3.95 a roll, delivered.

3 months ago, I asked them to list 100 sheets of 5x4 (4x25 boxes) at the volume price as it was missing from their range, whereas other 5x4 films were already at bulk prices. They obliged and I bought 100 sheets. Ilford are very considerate.

Gary

When in the local camera store, Glazers Camera in Seattle, I will often pick up a few rolls to give them some business. But have bought bulk from Freestyle & B&H as the prices for film has risen.

I have a local thrift shop that gathers returns from local retailers. After film was phased off many selves and returned to the distributors I have been able to purchase it @ .25 per roll. Some is OOD, some "drug store", color, black&white film. Most 24 exp. a little 36 exp. at 25 cents I check- -- they don't! Still need to watch my shots as processing is still a pricey expense on my budget but makes a nice hobby just the same. Anyway when I arrive home with a "new" supply I tend to get the "hairy eyeball" from my sweet bride. Something about freezer space.

B&H, shipping over $99 is free to Canada with Purolator. I find the prices at B&H are pretty decent, and ordering online is easy. I've pretty much given up on my local camera stores, they don't carry much film anymore and their service is mediocre. It's too bad because I'd like to support my local retailer but there's not much incentive to do so.

Aussie dollar is sooo piss weak now that I don't think there is many choices for us other than to swallow the bitter pill and pat a premium for films.
Used to get mine from B & H and Freestyle.

Aussie dollar is sooo piss weak now that I don't think there is many choices for us other than to swallow the bitter pill and pat a premium for films.
Used to get mine from B & H and Freestyle.

Indeed. I've been pondering who to replace B&H with now that the AUD is at 0.73c (although apparently it's been getting better over the last week)...

Any suggestions for Australian retailers? I think my stockpile might last until xmas.

With film prices having gone up recently, I'd like to revive this old thread.

Looks like FP4 is now $5.99 a roll, that's a Dollar more than I used to pay a few months ago. Seems like B&H still has the lowest prices if you factor in free expedited shipping for orders over $50.-

Where do you buy your film?

I Get Ilford And Kodak From Garland Camera And Repair In Garland, Tx. (suburban Dallas) Or Order From Freestyle.

What an interesting thread:
Interesting to see the weird variation in film prices worldwide that don't seem to follow any process (cause) I can think of.

Interesting how many of us want desperately to buy from the local camera store (and some can), but pricing makes that an untenable source. I too used to buy film (at a higher price than online sources) from the local camera store. It went out of business anyway. The last source of film in my town is the university book store, which is actually not a book store but a merchandising outlet for the sports machine. They used to stock film at good prices for students. Today, they sell Arista 200/24 for $9USD per roll. Not exactly oriented toward students in my mind. Well, some of the students can clearly afford that and more, but I would expect most to be near starvation, as I was during my undergrad years.

Short answer to the OP: I buy most film online (freestyle) and a few remaining camera shops in Portland OR when I visit the big city. Silvermax ends up being similar in price either online or in the Portland camera shops, especially after shipping is considered.

I'm still buying the Agfa 200 or Fuji C200 in 24 exposures for a pound in Poundland. For our friends overseas, who might be in the UK this summer; visitors to York might/should find a branch near the Minster. It had film the last time I was there...

Regards, David

BIC Camera and Yodobashi (for Fujifilms and whlist in Japan) and Maco Direct and FotoImpex (Adox) in Germany (for everything else). UK is too expensive to buy Ilford. :(

Back