Which AF lens for a new to me A7II?

madNbad

Well-known
Local time
2:56 PM
After using the A5100 a a scanning camera for months and getting good results, I decided to try moving up to a full frame camera. Last year, I traded some Nikon gear for a A6000 for my wife, she used it a few times but mostly it sat so last weekend I decided to box it up and send it off to KEH. Originally, the A5100 was going to stay on the copy stand but it was tossed into the box as well. The thought was, get a A7, full frame not too expensive and would make a fine scanning camera. When I started looking at the KEH site, they had a A7II listed. Having enough experience with older Sony software, the idea of a newer body that could do tethered capture was appealing. After pretty much settling on the A7II, I started doing some comparison shopping. The story at this point is there is a brand new A7II in route for not much more money than the used one on the KEH site. My question to the forum members is: this is a very capable camera and I would like to use it for more than just scanning. I have both a Nikon F and a Leica M to E mount adapter to use the manual focus lenses but I would like to have autofocus lens available, either a 35 or a 50. Zooms are more versatile and a lot heavier, so they are on the low end of the choice scale. Most of the time the M4 is used with a 35 Ultron ASPH so a AF 35 would be my first choice.. Just asking to see what the other members like.

I recommend the Sony 24-105 f4 lens.
Not a lot of weight but a whole lot of lens.
I have both the A7ii and iii, I use it on both.

55/1.8 has always performed well for me. You can judge this recommendation by searching the gallery for ILCE-7 or ILCE-7 II plus FE 55/1.8 under my username.

There are more recent FE lenses, but others will have talk about them...

I have the Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA. I like it for its size. I think it’s a good lens, but generally have been used to more vintage looks. I don’t have the 55 F1.8 but have been very impressed by photographs taken with it that I’ve seen on flickr. (Currently I use m-mount or ltm 50s with converters, especially the ZM50mm). More recently I bought the Sony 85mm F1.8 and I really like it a lot.

I recommend the Sony 24-105 f4 lens.
Not a lot of weight but a whole lot of lens.
I have both the A7ii and iii, I use it on both.

I have read enough reviews of this lens and so far it's my first choice if I decide to go with a zoom. Thanks for the vote.

55/1.8 has always performed well for me. You can judge this recommendation by searching the gallery for ILCE-7 or ILCE-7 II plus FE 55/1.8 under my username.

There are more recent FE lenses, but others will have talk about them...

I haven't been much of a 50 user until the last few years. The painted Nikkormat FT2, which was traded away and the current FS both had the 50 2.0 Nikkor H which is becoming a favorite. The size and weight of the Sony 55 1.8 is very appealing.

The A7 (and subsequent Kolari-modded A7 / II was how I mounted Zeiss M lenses on a digital body for a few years (particularly the ZM 35/2.8 Biogon and 50/2 Planar), while continuing to shoot M4/M5/M7 bodies for film.

I bought the 55/1.8 in 2016, and added an RX1 for 35/2 shooting, and used this kit more than anything...film Ms on the shelf...other film bodies on the shelf...

In 2017 my retirement splurge was an M-D 262, which accelerated the selling and trading of film cameras. In 2019, trades got me an M246; this April, I traded both plus disused lenses, MF and LF gear for an M10 Monochrom. Where my remaining M lenses live.

Circling back to the pertinent topic, my A7K2 can now be completely about AF, so the 55/1.8 is its primary lens, though I also pack the FE 85/1.8 (and can borrow my wife Linn’s 24-70 zoom).

Hope that abbreviated story of evolving preferences, form factors and functions is useful or at least amusing.

Thanks, Robert. The Sony will mostly be on the copy stand as my primary interest is still film but it would be a nice addition for my aging eyes to have the camera do most of the work for me. The Sony 55 1.8 will probably be the one.

I understand. I have my cataract evaluation Tuesday. Surgery on both eyes likely sooner than later. My right eye in its current state would be an excellent tool for Claude Monet.

I'm fortunate to own some really phenomenal lenses, but the 35/2.8 Zeiss (SEL35F28Z) remains a favorite of mine due to it's small size and very good overall performance. A swell pick for APS-C bodies too where it becomes a "50mm" lens.

While Sony offers some outstanding (and expensive) lenses these days, there are some bargains in the lineup too, and I'd argue that the humble 28-70 kit zoom SEL2870 is well worth a look for less than $200, and it's much lighter than the premium zooms too.

Back