Which Contax G body?

gelatine silver print (planar 45mm f2) contax g1

Erik.

50793422666_d7ed5ea28b_b.jpg

Definitely G2. It's much more of a camera. Besides it takes 21 Biogon, which G1 doesn't. Oh, yes I had both, but now use G2 exclusively. As a matter of fact have 2 G2 bodies, just in case. After all they don't make them anymore.

Definitely G2. It's much more of a camera. Besides it takes 21 Biogon, which G1 doesn't. Oh, yes I had both, but now use G2 exclusively. As a matter of fact have 2 G2 bodies, just in case. After all they don't make them anymore.

FWIW - You can use both the 35 and the 21 on G1 cameras if they have a green sticker in the film chamber.

Could you tell us more about this adaptor.
This is an adapter -WIDEPAN- to mount the Hologon on an M-Leica. It was available for $150 or so at Kanto in Tokyo if I remember well. There was a good instruction for how to mount the lens on the adapter with the four screws in the beauty ring. A nice rear cap was included too. It is very easy to do the conversion yourself, but you have to take the utmost care not to damage the four screwheads. So use a well fitting screwdriver.

I don't know how it works on digital M-Leicas.

Erik.

This is an adapter -WIDEPAN- to mount the Hologon on an M-Leica. It was available for $150 or so at Kanto in Tokyo if I remember well. There was a good instruction for how to mount the lens on the adapter with the four screws in the beauty ring. A nice rear cap was included too. It is very easy to do the conversion yourself, but you have to take the utmost care not to damage the four screwheads. So use a well fitting screwdriver.

I don't know how it works on digital M-Leicas.

Erik.
I paid about $500 to DAG for the conversion. It is 6 bit coded. I wanted Don to do such work. I bought the lens specifically for the Leica.

The Hologon does not give good results with digital FF cameras based on trying out my 16/8 on the M242 and M9. The 33% crop in the M8 gives 21mm view images with very little color smearing.

This lens gives excellent results with my M3. Someone here told me that his M3 does not allow for a Hologon to be used with it. No clue why not. Maybe his lens was used with some adapter or his M3 is different from my M3.

I paid about $500 to DAG for the conversion. It is 6 bit coded. I wanted Don to do such work. I bought the lens specifically for the Leica.

The Hologon does not give good results with digital FF cameras based on trying out my 16/8 on the M242 and M9. The 33% crop in the M8 gives 21mm view images with very little color smearing.

This lens gives excellent results with my M3. Someone here told me that his M3 does not allow for a Hologon to be used with it. No clue why not. Maybe his lens was used with some adapter or his M3 is different from my M3.

Yes, I forgot this point. For use on an M-camera with a frame selector the frame selector must be removed or the lever of the Hologon must be filed off (partly). That is why I bought a Leica MDa. Has no frame selector, is made for use on microscopes. I got one very cheap from Leicashop Vienna.

Maybe you have an early M3 without frame selector.

I am not really using the lens, although I've made some nice pictures with it. It is a beautiful lens, incredible good.

Erik.

I meant the M240 and not M242 above.

My M3 has serial number slightly below 1000000.
It is not an old model M3.

Yes, I forgot this point. For use on an M-camera with a frame selector the frame selector must be removed or the lever of the Hologon must be filed off (partly). That is why I bought a Leica MDa. Has no frame selector, is made for use on microscopes. I got one very cheap from Leicashop Vienna.

Maybe you have an early M3 without frame selector.

I am not really using the lens, although I've made some nice pictures with it. It is a beautiful lens, incredible good.

Erik.

You use only film cameras, so you get the best results with the Hologon. You also get best results with any lens, Erik.

It was a good idea to get a Leica MD. This lens does not have or need any RF focus.

M3-Hologon-X3.jpg

The M3 has the frame selector or pre-view lever. Could DAG have modified the lens mount to take care of this issue?

The M3 has the frame selector or pre-view lever. Could DAG have modified the lens mount to take care of this issue?

He can have filed a part of the rear of the focusing lever of the Hologon. If so, this can be seen. The rear of the lever should then be brass.

If not, DAG is a true magician.

Very nice M3, btw!

Erik.

There is brass shown at the back of the lens, as you have said.

My M3 came to me thirty years ago Like New, with the receipt from Leica. It was the back-up camera of a man here in Pensacola. He bought two new M3 cameras while in Germany, and he only used the other M3 while he exercised my M3 without film twice a year to keep it working smoothly.

I've owned both. The G1 IMO is the better camera due to its somewhat smaller size and price. Both perform about the same. Remember to buy the Green label G1 since it has much needed modifications and to get it done to a non-label G1 may be difficult today due to the shortage of Contax mechanics and parts.

Back