Which SLR for travel ? Help my decision

I purchase protective lens filter, generic cap and keeping original at home. I put cap only for storage.
Once temperature is bellow zero, you need to use ziplock bag after entering from cold to warm.
You could avoid condensation without ziplock if you put camera under top coat, closer to your body in advance time , before entering inside.
Best is to have two cameras. One for outside, another for inside.
If you are in and out constantly.

I purchase protective lens filter, generic cap and keeping original at home. I put cap only for storage.
Once temperature is bellow zero, you need to use ziplock bag after entering from cold to warm.
You could avoid condensation without ziplock if you put camera under top coat, closer to your body in advance time , before entering inside.
Best is to have two cameras. One for outside, another for inside.
If you are in and out constantly.

Agree 100% with these recommendations. I'd also favor the Pentax because of its lack of battery dependency, though the OM2 is a great camera, newer and with more sophisticated metering. The SMC Takumar is one of the top 50/1.4s, I think.

The temperatures are mild winter conditions. I'd suggest that a camera in an ever-ready case, in a backpack doesn't take many photos. Have a great trip.

Hi
Temperatures were around 0°C in Prague, and now in Krakow it is snowing and temperature are around minus 1°C. Camera is in the backpack (no intention to take so many pictures) or under a warm waterproof overcoat. No gloves needed (hands in pockets) .Batteries are still doing fine so far.
Very nice days
Thank you for all your advice
Joao

Is the mirror sticking a common problem in the OM-2 or is it just because he ran the poor thing into the ground? Also, I didn’t know Koudelka used OMs. I haven’t been able to find much online about the equipment he’s used besides the oft-repeated "Exacta and 25mm lens for G***ies and Invasion!, Leica M and 35/50 for Exiles and customized Leica S2 for Wall.” I have Exiles and it’s clear did not just use a 35/50 for it. Some pictures are clearly shot with something wider, others with something longer. The pictures in the book were the result of several decades of work and it’s entirely plausible that he used cameras beyond just a Leica M. But this is the first evidence I’ve seen of his SLRs.

Is the mirror sticking a common problem in the OM-2 or is it just because he ran the poor thing into the ground? Also, I didn’t know Koudelka used OMs. I haven’t been able to find much online about the equipment he’s used besides the oft-repeated "Exacta and 25mm lens for G***ies and Invasion!, Leica M and 35/50 for Exiles and customized Leica S2 for Wall.” I have Exiles and it’s clear did not just use a 35/50 for it. Some pictures are clearly shot with something wider, others with something longer. The pictures in the book were the result of several decades of work and it’s entirely plausible that he used cameras beyond just a Leica M. But this is the first evidence I’ve seen of his SLRs.

I am not sure what is wiritten there but usually the mirror stays up on the OM2 when you run out of battery. Pushing the lever to the "check-Reset" position, releases the mirror again.

This was a fun little thread to read through. Koudelka's OM is beautifully worn. The OM's are my favourite SLR to use but I have to admit that I prefer the takumar 50mm f1.4 over the zuiko.

I am not sure what is wiritten there but usually the mirror stays up on the OM2 when you run out of battery. Pushing the lever to the "check-Reset" position, releases the mirror again.

Unfortunately, the sticker obscures some of it so this is all I can see:
Quelquefois la miroir ne… la position initiale

Apres position RESET OK

Sometimes the mirror doesn’t… the original position.

After RESET OK

The word being covered by the sticker begins with the letter R so I inferred that it was retourne pas (Which would make it say Sometimes the mirror doesn’t return to the original position after RESET OK).

Unfortunately, the sticker obscures some of it so this is all I can see:
Quelquefois la miroir ne… la position initiale

Apres position RESET OK

Sometimes the mirror doesn’t… the original position.

After RESET OK

The word being covered by the sticker begins with the letter R so I inferred that it was retourne pas (Which would make it say Sometimes the mirror doesn’t return to the original position after RESET OK).

Sounds like a sticker describing a problem for a technician. Maybe it was sent for CLA.

My dad had a dog who went into an angry frenzy every time he saw a man wearing a hat. I think some TSA agents function on that same level of irrationality.

Many rescue dogs cower from certain types or sizes of men due to past abuse. Your dad's dog probably had the reason of a hatted man behaving badly towards him once; TSA agents have no such excuse.

A lot of OM's had the dead battery and up mirror when sold as spares or repairs and so were dirt cheap...

Once again it shows the value of the RTFM ritual.

Regards, David

A lot of OM's had the dead battery and up mirror when sold as spares or repairs and so were dirt cheap...

Once again it shows the value of the RTFM ritual.

Regards, David

True, I bought a OM2n without batteries, with Zuiko 1,8 50mm lens, sold as faulty , for 10 euro. My son keeps using it without problems.

Joao

Back