Which Sony variant - 'scanning' use only?

coogee

Well-known
Local time
8:07 PM
I don't currently have a digital camera but I would like something to 'scan' 120 film, darkroom prints and occasionally 35mm film (if my Pakon 135 scanner isn't in the mood)

I have used a Sony a7r in the past for this purpose – with M mount adapter/extension tubes and using my enlarger as a copy stand – it worked fine.
I don’t have that camera anymore. I don’t want a digital camera for other use – I just don’t use it, it’s just a more versatile scanner for me.
I have only M/LTM interchangeable lenses so has to work with those. I might grab a cheap macro lens down the track I guess.

So - 24MP+, reasonable sensor, reasonable interface, adaptable to 50/90mm in M mount, second-hand, cheap as possible.

Sony a7 something? Even a Sony a7r? Or a Sony APS-C type – A6000?
Another brand?
Anyone have any suggestions? Does APS-C make a practical difference?
I’m totally lost in the sea of digital cameras these days.

The output is generally only web shares or occasional 5x7 prints.
I don’t want a flatbed scanner either, I find the digital copy stand set-up much easier.

Thanks.

The output is generally only web shares or occasional 5x7 prints.

Full frame would be total overkill then. For these sizes, any, even older, APS-C models will be perfectly fine.
Select for price and convenience, beside an articulating screen, an AF macro would make your life easier, so see for which system out can fimnd one cheapest.

AF macro lens is really really nice to use. It nails focus at the grain level in an instant.
I would say get a camera that is 24mp - because you never know when you want a large print even though you may not think so - and they are cheap used or even new.

Just make sure you get once that focuses 1:1 so you can fill your frame.

I would use a Sony A7II, A7R - or whatever gives you 1:1 with your current lenses.
Buy used.

Original A7 is a pretty great deal,

Although you might consider something like a Nikon D7000 with the DX 40/2.8 Macro or something a little lighter say a D5300 which is 24mp and has a articulating screen.

Thanks all, I will investigate the suggested models a bit more.
I'm thinking 24MP might present a sweet spot but I'll see how 16MP stacks up cost-wise.
I like the idea of a little flexibility in framing so 1:1 sizes become less of an issue (and my 120 negatives are 1:1 ratio not 4:3 anyway)

I use a Sony NEX-5T (16MP APS-C) on a Leica BEOON with a EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 enlarging lens to digitize my negatives. 35mm negatives are cropped slightly because my setup won't quite focus down to 1:1. 120 negatives are captured in two or more frames and merged in Lightroom.

Most of the photos in my Flickr photostream are digitized with this setup. You can judge for yourself whether that's sufficient for web shares.

The A6000 would be right in the sweet spot for camera-scan of 120 or 35mm film. Sony has an inexpensive APS macro lens that's quite good. Or, any legacy manual focus macro lens.

For camera-scan you don't need in-body image stabilization, lack of this makes the A6000 particularly economical right now.

Back