White Stuff buildup inside the camera - M8

taffy

Well-known
Local time
6:10 PM
Hi can someone tell me what this white residue is and how it might have gotten there? Also want to know how to clean it off; I don't think Leica still services M8s anymore. Thanks a lot. Seems to not be affecting images yet.

Taffy

52235905053_aa2f61c470_b.jpg

52236173554_6e5e71084c_b.jpg

Well one thing it is not is mold. Looks like what happens when a battery has leaked and it’s attacked the parent metal.
Could it be something attacking the material from within it, then to the outside ?
I think on Monday morning I would be sending the top image over to Leica and asking them the question.
The reputation of Leica not servicing its modern cameras anymore is disgraceful. My M3 and M6 can be relied upon but these new models that they keep spitting out, well I will never buy one, especially those full of electrical gadgets……

Looks like some form of oxidation. Perhaps aluminum oxidation?

Without claiming any knowledge of Leica digital cameras whatsoever, it looks to me like it's corrosion.

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried a small cotton swab and alcohol and was able to remove the white deposits.

The part seems to be a softer, almost rubber material so it cleaned off quite easily. I can't say for certain if it is rubber but I've seen back rubber things get some powdery white stuff on them before as they age. It's a good thing they don't affect image quality because this new Ultron 28ii is breathing new life into this old camera :)

52237772729_42c80ff562_b.jpg

Is it possible that the white stuff was some of the mold release compound that is sprayed on a mold to help the molded part come out easily. Rubber parts often develop this white stuff later in life from the mold release compound. Joe.

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried a small cotton swab and alcohol and was able to remove the white deposits.

The part seems to be a softer, almost rubber material so it cleaned off quite easily. I can't say for certain if it is rubber but I've seen back rubber things get some powdery white stuff on them before as they age. It's a good thing they don't affect image quality because this new Ultron 28ii is breathing new life into this old camera :)

52237772729_42c80ff562_b.jpg

The part looks like a cover for something beneath. Some plastics/rubber compounds don‘t age very well - since you were able to remove it I wouldn‘t worry. Have fun with your M8!

Back