who is shooting with a sony rx1?

I shoot with an RX1r as the only remaining digital complement to my film cameras (Leica M and FM3a) and lenses. As for the RX1r - I'm very content with the 35mm perspective and think the IQ is fabulous.

I have been using the RX1R alongside the Leica M8 for about a year and a half now. It is the only compact camera that provides consistently as good or better image quality than the M8. The leaf shutter is also useful for some applications. It's only an average camera in my opinion, but the lens and sensor remain state of the art.

why?

is it part of an arsenal or your only camera?

Part of arsenal. For 35mm pov it is difficult or impossible to beat for image quality, at least for me, and it's FF in a tiny solid package. I rented a Leica M-E with a 35 Summicron for a week and spent a week taking "identical" shots with both cameras. OOC results were similar, preferences probably down to personal taste more than anything, CCD vs.CMOS and all that, but the Sony RAW files were much more robust and it was possible to get a lot more out of them if one was so inclined to spend time in post. Have got a D800E as well, and it won't give me better results than the RX1 either. It's just a sweet, solidly built camera, which actually made the M-E feel a bit cheap in comparison, which surprised me. No haters please, other opinions are exactly that.
That said, I've got the optional EVF, but the focusing experience is much nicer on the Leica and the Nikon. But, the Sony EVF is as good as any, and yes, I actually do think I've tried them all:)
OVFs on my Leicaflex and Contax RX still put every digital viewfinder, EVF or OVF, in the shade, but, I digress.
Anyway, the RX1 is perhaps the only camera I own which is definitely on the "I will never sell this one" list. It's not perfect, but it is very special.
Going to Zion and Bryce tomorrow and the RX1 and a medium format film rig are all I'm taking. Leicaflex maybe. But if it were just one, it would be the Sony.

Is my only digital at the moment because MM is away getting a new sensor. Is a pocket rocket in my mind, I use it mainly for long exposure on a tripod, riding around on my bike or tramping. Lens is sensational, not sure why people complain about menus because once it is setup you only really need to use function menu. Get them for a decent price these 2nd hand as well. You have always wanted one Joe.

yes, i have wanted one from the beginning...if only money were not such a constricting factor...i think its a near perfect camera.

I picked up a used one a year ago, and it's great I had been using a Ricoh GXR with the M-module for my M lenses. Now all I use is the RX-1 it can't do everything but close enough for me...
wbill

I've had an RX1 for a few months. I bought it to complement my Fuji X system and it's done pretty well at that. I tricked it out with the same crap that I have on the Fuji's; arca style grip, vented hood, Gordy's strap, and I find that it's just as comfortable for an elderly person to handle as the Fuji's are. I use it in the full manual exposure mode and it gives me a very accurate WYSIWYG view.

By the way, if you want one, keep an eye on cowboom.com. I bought mine brand new for $1400 with a US warranty and no charge shipping. If they put the RX1R on sale I'll buy it too.

I've had a Sony RX-1 for a couple of years. At first, I thought it was the best digital camera I owned. Now, it's part of my tool kit, along with a Fuji X-T1. At this point, I use the Sony when I need a 35 mm lens. Sometimes, I think it's the easiest camera to use that I've ever owned.

I've had a Sony RX-1 for a couple of years. At first, I thought it was the best digital camera I owned. Now, it's part of my tool kit, along with a Fuji X-T1. At this point, I use the Sony when I need a 35 mm lens. Sometimes, I think it's the easiest camera to use that I've ever owned.

where in alberta are you?
i'm in edm.

Rx1r

Rx1r

I found my RX1R used recently with finder at a great price and as one who has always loved fixed lens(35mm) compacts, had to try it.

I have not been using my X100S recently (but definitely plan to in the future) I have been using the Sony along with my XE2. When I see files out of the RX1, it reminds me of shooting Rolleiflex next to the Leica years back. There is that added tonal scale that makes the files sing. It can be achieved at times with smaller neg/sensor but takes a hell of a lot more work and in some conditions cannot be achieved. The dynamic range of the Sony is really good.

I find the EVF for me is useful but for walking around, I try to work around it too for simplicity and while manual focusing is not the same experience as the M camera, it works well and I get on fine with it.

I did do a test in the field one day with the X100, XE2 and the RX1 and that day, I felt disconnected from the X100, probably because I had not been using it. When I returned home, the best file of the shootout came from the X100S.

So conditions in my opinion can neutralize the difference. I also believe that forced to use one camera only is the best way to maximize performance, meaning if I had just focused on what I was after that day with the RX1, I'd have produced a better file of the scene than I did going back and forth.

David

Lcd

Lcd

How is the LCD screen on a bright sunny day?

I have not been up on bright ski slopes with my Sony but have not had any issue with LCD screen yet. When manually focusing, it magnifies detail on the screen very nicely so it makes manual focusing easy to do. For me, the autofocus has also worked effectively when I have used it.

prior to the rx1 my favorite camera was the x100. that camera weened me off dslr's (had been happily shooting a 5d with zeiss contax lenses) and onto rangefinders. i thought i'd never sell the x. because i love zeiss i tried the rx1 (with grip and evf both of which for me were mandatory to provide the best user experience). honestly i was blown away. the resolution is stunning, the microcontrast near perfect. there are enough mps to render 100% crops with ease thus yielding what is defacto at least a 35-70 zoom. and the lowlight performance is stellar, not to be believed imo, two stops better than the x100. and ergonomically, it is solid, pro-feeling and makes the x100 feel like a toy. the lens is not only a zeiss cult classic 'renderer', but it has girth and heft that makes holding it easy, focusing wonderful. the only thing i sometimes find a little lacking is the color in certain light needs boosting, and i still am really drawn to the fuji b&w rendering. but then i love the 35mm fl. were i only allowed one camera or one cam/lens combo it would undoubtedly be a 35.

having said all that, i so enjoy the entire shooting process of my epson rd1, and i am so enamored by the filmlike files i get out of it, the color 'pop', the awesome b&w tones, that the rx1 has lost its place as my 'go to' camera. tbh, i'm now wondering if i should keep the rx1, as good as it is, if its not my 'go to' rig. again, were i limited to one cam, it would probably be the rx1 because of its fabulous results and unmatched versatility at my personal preferreed fl. but i'm not, so at the end of the day, its not just about all that, at least for me.
tony

Hi, back alley,
I live in downtown Edm! By any chance, are you a member of the local Monochrome Guild?
Big Ursus

i live in the north end...
not a member of the guild, they are film only and i stopped using film years ago...i know gordon from the guild though and usually attend their yearly exhibit on the south side.

"not a member of the guild, they are film only and i stopped using film years ago"

I had to give up film and printing in the 80s, but I previously had exhibitions of my B&W work, and I've still got stuff to show at the Guild, so I joined. Besides, they're good folks.

they seem friendly enough...i could shoot some film and have it processed/scanned at a lab i guess...wouldn't be me printing it though.

Back