Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Investment Bank

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other Investors - please explain

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Nikon will pull out of this on its own

Votes: 95 55.6%

• Total voters
Nikon, in its corporate hierarchy, seems extremely conservative, or they are constrained by agreements with other camera companies (?) (Friday Club business).

Years back, as a NPS member and friend to both the Pro and Consumer camera divisions, I was asked for my "vision" on what the "next" P Coolpix camera should be. What I sent to Nikon was my want for a camera that could best be described as a Fuji X100 series camera. I was thanked for my time and told that there wasn't a market for such a camera. This was just a couple of years before the X100 was announced.

I didn't believe what I was told. Given the close relationship between Fujifilm and Nikon, I thought Agreements Had Been Made as to who would enter which markets.

Note:

The Fuji S5 Pro, built by Nikon.

Primes in a great number in the APS C format from Fuji, just a couple from Nikon, though the market for them is obvious..?

No FX camera from Fuji, A Nikon stronghold.

A larger than FX format camera from Fuji, with Primes. Nikon stays away from this market.

I haven't any inside info, just observations.

But, I have seen.. Cannon's Pro division questioning their Pro users for requested features for next generation cameras AND, those requested features appear in the new cameras. Nikon asks questions of their Pro users too but, the requested features don't appear.

It seems, those in the decision making room at Nikon are an echo chamber and, maybe have cut deals with others in the market?

snip
Founded on July 25, 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha (日本光学工業株式会社 "Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd."), the company was renamed to Nikon Corporation, after its cameras, in 1988. Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi group of companies (keiretsu).[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon

Snip
The CEO's of these companies - called the 'Friday Club' (Mitsubishi Kinyokai) - are meeting every second Friday of every month for exchanging the latest (business) news. It is clear that this frequent exchange of information is strengthening mutual confidence.

Snip
"and - finally - Nikon Corporation"
http://www.nicovandijk.net/mitsubishi.htm

Interesting thoughts I nave had, there is a logic behind. Thanks.
Interesting to reflect how agreements and strategies of different companies can influence practical technical choices.

If only Nikon had made a smaller size DF....

The Nikon digital cameras I've used have a "My Menu" tab that allows the user to add to and sort whatever options they want there. I have several options in My Menu that I want quick access to. I hardly ever search through the cascading menu structure anymore.

Same here. I usually leave "My Menu" only to reformat the card.

Nikon menus are easy. Canon menus are fairly easy. Others I've used are a nightmare--Olympus, for instance. I had not used a Nikon since the F3 when I bought a used D800 some time ago. Without an owner's manual, I intuitively understood the menu system. The little on-screen helpers were there in case.

We seem to forget that Nikon, the company, makes a lot of money. Just not as much as they or the investors would like. They really aren't losing money but in today's accounting practices not making as much money as one's investors expect is now considered a loss.

Nikon, in its corporate hierarchy, seems extremely conservative
A trait found in many Japanese businesses: conservative and risk-averse. Today, in SE Asia the swashbucklers and risk takers are mostly from Taiwan and South Korea. Cheers, OtL

Back