Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Investment Bank

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other Investors - please explain

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Nikon will pull out of this on its own

Votes: 95 55.6%

• Total voters
Who uses the lenses doesn't change their properties, as if by some great marketing magic.

What I say is that Nikon has produced lenses forever with no consideration of their aesthetic properties beyond sharpness and contrast. Maybe they figured out the bokeh thing might sell them a 58mm lens recently, ok. The 50mm 1.4 AF-S was good imo, except for the green sludge in the bokeh. I was referring to the ai-s and af-d 1.8's but 1st pic is exactly what I mean by olive oil colored, second ok. Third the woman's skintone, particularly at her hairline is looking lobster colored. I think both these pics would look better, and have color that was easier to deal with, had you taken them with the 50mm f1.4 AF-S.

I think both these pics would look better, and have color that was easier to deal with, had you taken them with the 50mm f1.4 AF-S.

By 50mm f1.4 AF-S do you mean the recent G version? Is there a good comparison of how it has improved on the D version? Thanks!

I think the 1.4 G is good.

Should have clarified. The 1.8G is definitely an upgrade on the 1.8D which really is doing lens cap duty given the price. I was hard pressed to see a big upgrade on the 1.4G over the 1.4D though. Still I am sure the IQ is better, even if the build quality seems to have regressed.

Thanks for those links!

The main reason I bought the 1.4G is that I was using an F100 at the time, and the 1.8 AF-D I had made such crazy chattering noises on my face from the AF. The AF-S motor was pretty sweet.

Yeah it appears the silent wave motor is silent. That is definitely a plus. I think back to my last foray into dSLR land and the 50/1.8D and can't recall if I cared for the AF noise. Mostly because I had no appreciation for quiet operation!

Ok, dude. Your portraits are lovely, whatever the case.

:)

:dance:

Awww... :eek::D

The main reason I bought the 1.4G is that I was using an F100 at the time, and the 1.8 AF-D I had made such crazy chattering noises on my face from the AF. The AF-S motor was pretty sweet.

I use the 1.8G on my F100 and it works perfectly. Very quiet, focuses quickly and surely. I liked it so much I bought a second that I can use on my F6 or D750 at the same time.
Buy these things used - they are available at about $100-$125. Which is what Zeiss charges for a lens hood!! Imagine that, a whole AF lens (with lens hood!) for the price of a lens hood.

Speaking of the 58 1.4G, the problem I have with it is the price. The 1.8G is $220 new while the 1.4 is $1600. Sure the 1.4 is a little faster, and has a bit more glass. But the build quality is essentially the same - plastic. And the QC is the same with many people having to return lenses until they get one that focuses properly.
Nikon supposedly said that the 58 1.4 has a huge mark up just because they want it to appear to be a premium product. And premium products are expensive.

Nikon supposedly said that the 58 1.4 has a huge mark up just because they want it to appear to be a premium product. And premium products are expensive.

At that price point, the Voigtlander 58/1.4 in F mount is likely a better bet. If you don't need AF.

Some news about Nikon's own plans for the future (link):
"The difference from our past strategies is that we will offer not only products, but also ideas and solutions as well," says Ushida. "Nikon will be reborn as a solution company providing superior technologies and ideas, holding 'light' as our core competency."

Personally am having doubts would this work for Nikon, hope they keep products in main focus.

Back