Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Investment Bank

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other Investors - please explain

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Nikon will pull out of this on its own

Votes: 95 55.6%

• Total voters
"Healthy sales of mirrorless cameras propelled Canon to a 22% operating profit gain in a segment that had been on an uninterrupted decline."

C'mon Nikon...

I think the market is way crazy now, and there is enough to make good pictures already. Am I the only one thinking that it's becoming more and more a crazy technical specs race? Historically the job as a professional photographer is never been so uncertain and difficult from what we experience here. The market is boring, products are all similar except slight "faster, better" 1000 fps eye catching useless features, in my opinion and even tough trends for sure exists, only a different interface and shooting experience/communication/ education can make the game interesting. In this scenario Nikon is not the only one in trouble, every brand will face this, sales talk globally.
Fujifilm being the only different player, in my opinion...there's just too much useless need to buy but not for the right reasons or real need. What is really needed today in cameras? what's the purpose of photography?
But I may be just a blind dinosaur, of course.

I think the market is way crazy now, and there is enough to make good pictures already. Am I the only one thinking that it's becoming more and more a crazy technical specs race? Historically the job as a professional photographer is never been so uncertain and difficult from what we experience here. The market is boring, products are all similar except slight "faster, better" 1000 fps eye catching useless features, in my opinion and even tough trends for sure exists, only a different interface and shooting experience/communication/ education can make the game interesting. In this scenario Nikon is not the only one in trouble, every brand will face this, sales talk globally.
Fujifilm being the only different player, in my opinion...there's just too much useless need to buy but not for the right reasons or real need. What is really needed today in cameras? what's the purpose of photography?

Nikon, in its corporate hierarchy, seems extremely conservative, or they are constrained by agreements with other camera companies (?) (Friday Club business).

Years back, as a NPS member and friend to both the Pro and Consumer camera divisions, I was asked for my "vision" on what the "next" P Coolpix camera should be. What I sent to Nikon was my want for a camera that could best be described as a Fuji X100 series camera. I was thanked for my time and told that there wasn't a market for such a camera. This was just a couple of years before the X100 was announced.

I didn't believe what I was told. Given the close relationship between Fujifilm and Nikon, I thought Agreements Had Been Made as to who would enter which markets.

Note:

The Fuji S5 Pro, built by Nikon.

Primes in a great number in the APS C format from Fuji, just a couple from Nikon, though the market for them is obvious..?

No FX camera from Fuji, A Nikon stronghold.

A larger than FX format camera from Fuji, with Primes. Nikon stays away from this market.

I haven't any inside info, just observations.

But, I have seen.. Cannon's Pro division questioning their Pro users for requested features for next generation cameras AND, those requested features appear in the new cameras. Nikon asks questions of their Pro users too but, the requested features don't appear.

It seems, those in the decision making room at Nikon are an echo chamber and, maybe have cut deals with others in the market?

snip
Founded on July 25, 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha (日本光学工業株式会社 "Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd."), the company was renamed to Nikon Corporation, after its cameras, in 1988. Nikon is a member of the Mitsubishi group of companies (keiretsu).[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon

Snip
The CEO's of these companies - called the 'Friday Club' (Mitsubishi Kinyokai) - are meeting every second Friday of every month for exchanging the latest (business) news. It is clear that this frequent exchange of information is strengthening mutual confidence.

Snip
"and - finally - Nikon Corporation"
http://www.nicovandijk.net/mitsubishi.htm

I think the market is way crazy now, and there is enough to make good pictures already.....The market is boring, products are all similar except slight "faster, better" ...there's just too much useless need to buy but not for the right reasons or real need. What is really needed today in cameras? what's the purpose of photography?

Maybe as you say, the market is boring and would account for the resurgent interest in analog photography.

I didn't believe what I was told. Given the close relationship between Fujifilm and Nikon, I thought Agreements Had Been Made as to who would enter which markets.

Some years ago, the head offices of Nikon and Fujifilm were in the same building.

Some years ago, the head offices of Nikon and Fujifilm were in the same building.

Hi Jon;

Good to hear from you.

I knew they were on very friendly terms but, I had no idea of the close proximity of the key players.

Years ago, many questioned Time and Newsweek having almost identical covers on critical issues. The editorial people and art directors from both publications drank at the same NYC bar. It was a happy family, often lubricated with alcohol.

best, pkr

What is really needed today in cameras? what's the purpose of photography?

From a manufacturer's stand point, they need to sell more... they always need to sell more. From a personal standpoint, the purpose of photography for me is mental health and self fulfillment. ;)

From a manufacturer's stand point, they need to sell more... they always need to sell more. From a personal standpoint, the purpose of photography for me is mental health and self fulfillment. ;)

Totally agree, so it' just a suicide thing, it can't stand.
They probably have their plans and market decisions but building a movements is in my opinion better than sell always more and more identical products in the long term. Better to invest in repairs, education...and different interfaces in tools.

We'll see. I would be sad to see a brand like that collapse, but I admit I have zero interest in what they are selling now. I really think that Fuji is the only one making something interesting both in cameras and communication...then again I am a 99% film shooter and so I'm just good with what I have.

Back in the late 70’s I had a Canon FTbn, I kept waiting for a new model from them. Then the Canon AE1 arrived and shook the whole photographic world that I remember. Not much later but a year or two possibly, they put out the A1. Then they started bringing out new models rather more rapidly.
What I am saying is there was CONTROLLED SUPPLY of new models back then. When I look at the amount of cameras Nikon has birthed in the digital era, quite frankly it’s ridiculous and if they are going under it serves them right. Now Leica seems to have fallen under the same spell. Mechanical cameras must have been harder to introduce but as the electronics played a major part in camera interiors, manufacturing new models went through the roof, just like Henry Ford, they were popping new models out constantly.
So an old mans opinion here. The Stone Age did not end because they ran out of stones. What seems to have died from what I have been told is THE PRINT, the general public just want electronic images, unlike in the old days we wanted to hold the print in our hands or frame it on a wall.

Nikon was asked by some, to allow blocks of little used/never used menu options to be shut off in their pro cameras. This would allow quicker changes in often used items (color temp, AF, etc).

It seemed a simple thing but, is/was ignored. Many cameras still have over 100 menu items. As you know, some that are frequently adjusted are buried behind several layers of cascaded screens. I think. these software options are designed by people who never use the cameras they design or, have never observed the BS involved in the field when a quick change is necessary.

Nobody listens to the Nikon customer, Canon welcomes Pros jumping the Nikon ship.

This would allow quicker changes in often used items (color temp, AF, etc).

It seemed a simple thing but, is/was ignored. Many cameras still have over 100 menu items. As you know, some that are frequently adjusted are buried behind several layers of cascaded screens. I think. these software options are designed by people who never use the cameras they design or, have never observed the BS involved in the field when a quick change is necessary.

If you've ever used an electronic medical record system, you realize the same design philosophy prevails.

Nikon was asked by some, to allow blocks of little used/never used menu options to be shut off in their pro cameras. This would allow quicker changes in often used items (color temp, AF, etc).

Nobody listens to the Nikon customer, Canon welcomes Pros jumping the Nikon ship.

that's everywhere electronic is involved, Canon menus are no different.

Nobody listens to the Nikon customer

The Nikon digital cameras I've used have a "My Menu" tab that allows the user to add to and sort whatever options they want there. I have several options in My Menu that I want quick access to. I hardly ever search through the cascading menu structure anymore.

If they build what people want and innovate same way, they have taken steps to survive.

Go back to We are Nikon and WE know best attitude, then toast.

Back