Why did you decide NOT to buy a digital Leica M?

Why did you decide NOT to buy a digital Leica M?

• Total voters
Where are you getting these numbers from? I haven't seen them listed in any of the literature from Leica or tests I've seen.

I don't "measure" by perception, I look to see if I can perceive a difference. Audio sensitivity by ear to distinguish two sharp sounds happening together or apart is about 1/1000 second (1ms) according to the audio engineering experts I've talked to. Visual perception is trickier, but I've found I can distinguish when two shutters start to move if they differ by about a half mm, which for M shutters is in the couple of ms range. It's just a rough look.

When I measure shutter lag, I instrument the shutter release to establish start time and record a trace moving at a known speed on an oscilliscope.... or other similar thing like a marked record player turntable.. This has proven accurate to about 0.5 ms resolution. Haven't done that with the M10s yet. :)

But again, I just don't see, feel, or hear much difference between my M10s and the M4-2 in terms of shutter lag modulo the use of Live View/EVF. They're close enough, for my needs, to be the same thing.

I have no experience with an M11, haven't even seen one in the box as yet.

G
The figures were given to me when I asked Leica staff in Wetzlar.

Last edited:
To answer the original question, I didn't not buy a digital Leica but I also didn't not buy a complimentary camera to fill the deficiencies of the Leica. !!

Back