Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.

Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.

• I wanted a digital Leica RF camera

Votes: 150 65.5%
  • The overall quality of the camera

Votes: 35 15.3%
  • There ws no other option

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Other reasons ... Explain

Votes: 32 14.0%

• Total voters

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
12:07 PM
Since I am bored here, I am starting a counter thread ....
Why did you buy a digital Leica M (M8, M9, ...)?

For a few reasons:

Was impressed by the M240.
Good sensor, decent ISO range, good live view, ability to use even more lens systems then one could imagine. Hmm, what else, all of the reasons I hated the M8.2 were not present in the M240.
I good deal came my way, and I had the money for it (very very rare), though it still wasn't cheap to say the least.

I liked the Epson R-D1 better than anything I had used before. I wanted a similar camera with a smaller crop (and more pixels), and M8 was the option I could afford. Years later, not much has changed.

Because it seemed to be the logical thing to do at the time.

I loved my film M's. I loved my M and LTM lenses. Why not?

I wanted a digital RF and I've bought M8 twice. I sold it twice because it died twice in my hands (serious shutter problems). Later I was dreaming about M9 or Monochrom as more reliable cameras, but now I know it was only a dream. :D

When Leica created the Monochrom it seemed that Leica had me in mind. I was a B&W only shooter so buying a digital with a color sensor was not in the picture for me. Leica in a way kinda made me a dream camera that did not offer features I did not need. The only improvements I would want is a bigger buffer and the bigger screen of the M-240. If Leica makes a MM-240 I will surely buy one, and I will also keep my MM. I don not want video capabilities.

I also bought the Monochrom to become more Leica-centric and concentrated on getting more ASPH glass. Also I bought more film M-bodies that could share the glass.

Before I was a B&W film only die-hard, but a Leica body with a monochrome sensor took away my last compelling reason to avoid digital. It been almost two years and I can say that my Monochrom has made me into a better photographer. Likely the best money I ever spent.

Cal

I had the RD1 early on and loved it but, the files were a bit too lightweight when I was doing hired portraits and model port. shoots (I did many from '08-'11).

The M8 stepped in.
The M8 gave me a bit more resolution and files I could use for work.
It was not perfect but perfectly usable! A really great camera during that "era" of digital photgraphy.
Mirror-less cameras with nice apsc sensors were just not quite yet to be born. The M8 offered a real option to DSLR's.
I was able to see past it's flaws as it was Leicas first DRF and a nice compact option to my 5Dii's.
The Fuji cameras now fill in were the M8 used to sit in my workflow.
Sometimes I think I may get another just to use for fun.
Then I think better of it now. My fun cameras are my film cameras. :)

I bought one because I wanted it. I don't use it as much I'd like to, however. Too many no light assignments. Despite the camera's flaws, I thoroughly enjoy using it.

I really wanted full frame. I was using Canon full frame for my work. Loved the quality but hated the size. Leica was expensive but the M9 was beautifully small and felt more like a film camera then any other digital I had ever worked with. So, I saved some money, sold the majority of my Canon kit, and bought the M9. I have never regretted it and now I have the Monochrom as well.

M240 After M9

M240 After M9

1)M240 screen resolution allows me to quickly check rangefinder focus and check for front/back focusing on lenses. Biggest reason to switch from M9
2) Hate the lack of contrast in an EVF, having optical finder helps my composition for shadow areas.
3) M240 still more crowd friendly than Canon FF DSLR, my former working camera system. Smaller is better for me.
4) very quiet shutter, although mirrorless is as good but DSLR can be very annoying in some venues.
5) Use of M-mount lenses shared with my M6 0.85.
6) Ease of telephoto use > 135mm
7)Still evaluating image quality of Fuji X lenses vs. Leica M, but so far very pleased with both. Fuji zoom good, but not as good as leica primes.

I also have a Fuji XE-1 which I like very much. I may go for an X-pro 2 when they come out. I actually sold my M9 thinking to convert to X system, but the EVF and bag of M lenses brought me back. I think I'll stay with Fuji and Leica for different reasons

I see in B&W at this point in time. It's how I see all of my personal work and have for some time now. When Leica introduced the MM I put my name on a list and waited. I also picked up a 35 Lux FLE.

I had a darkroom but a divorce some years ago and downsizing I gave up my darkroom and my commercial clients moved me to digital some years back so it was a no brainer for me.

I still love film but I also enjoy the creative freedom I have with digital. I mean to be able to get medium format quality at 1600 and 3200 ISO and to be able to shoot at 320 on one frame and to be able to shoot at 10,000 ISO on the next is incredible.

Yeah it was pricey but no more than the top of the line Canon digital or Nikon digital. And if I hadn't have bought it I wouldn't have spent the past 2 years and 30,000+ exposures creating with it.

I got a lot more camera than I bargained for. A great quote by Ralph Gibson about the only digital camera he has owned or liked. The MM: "This camera will do anything I am capable of doing. I will never get to the end of what this instrument can perform".-Ralph Gibson

I have no problems with someone not wanting to shoot digital. I still love film but without a darkroom and with the way I see and work this is the perfect tool for me now. Since there is no color the sharpness has been compared to d800 which has twice the MPs.

I will shoot with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired. No reason for me to upgrade.

Never cared for Fuji. Tried one for a while before I went with the MM. EVF just doesn't do it for me and the way I work and see.

After shooting both the M6 and the M8 I decided that for small format photography I prefer digital over 35mm film. Will I get an FF digital M yes someday down the road but for now I have my eyes set on getting a real field camera such as a Wista 4x5 to replace my Crown Graphic plus a couple of more lens say a 90mm and a 210mm to go along with the 127mm and 270mm lens that I currently have.

I bought a used M8.2, fell in love with the rangefinder it and sold it and bought a used M9 about four months latter.

Prior to this I had used a film SLR for years, a small point and shoot digital, and a GF1 prior to buying the M8.2.

Having bought the digital M it moved me to purchase an MP .72 and M6TTL .85 to continue the rangefinder experience.

Reaching a point in my life where I had some disposable income also helped with making the decision. I believe it was a luxury purchase when I made the purchase of the M8.2 and came to believe I wish I had made the move to a rangefinder style camera years/decades before I did.

I bought an M8.2 used to get the "Leica Experience". I was disapointed in the image quality beyond the lowest ISO setting and sold it. After seeing the things that an M9 was capable of producing, I managed to get one new. Loved it but felt restricted in that I had sold my DSLR to get the Leica. Sold the Leica to get another DSLR and missed it terribly. Saved and bought another M9 used and have been happy since. There's something in the CCD files that I don't see in the CMOS files. A crispness and detail. Now I have to save for more Leica lenses. There's always something......

I am amazed by the level of commitment I hear around here. I cannot personally imagine saving for any camera.

You've got to be kidding.

Many people save up the money to buy the things they want. When I was first getting into photography, I wanted a Nikon F. It took a year of savings to have enough that my uncle helped me to buy the camera with a 50mm lens. It took another half a year to save up for another lens. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I pay cash for everything short of real estate. If I don't have the money, and I want something, I start saving for it. If I still want it when I have the money, I buy it. Simple as that.

Saving up and buying with cash is how to escape the stupidity and waste of the credit universe.

G

Back