Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.

Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.

• I wanted a digital Leica RF camera

Votes: 150 65.5%
  • The overall quality of the camera

Votes: 35 15.3%
  • There ws no other option

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Other reasons ... Explain

Votes: 32 14.0%

• Total voters
Raid yes, I'm one not 100% convinced of the previous model and for that price I need to be convinced it works for me. After I played with the M10 in Wetzlar I changed my mind.
Still some doubts about the after sales service but the camera is so similar in use to my M7 and doesn't need long scanning sessions that I think yes, it can be my camera!
robert

Just because it is Leica. Here is nothing else like Leica. Film and digital. Nobody else makes camera as nice as Leica makes them. In 2016 I received money as the gift for buying camera. I have money enough for high end DSLR or nice Fuji with load of lens, but I went and purchased new M-E. In 2017 after realizing what M-E is so precious I jumped on M8 as well. Because it became affordable.

My precious!

Raid yes, I'm one not 100% convinced of the previous model and for that price I need to be convinced it works for me. After I played with the M10 in Wetzlar I changed my mind.
Still some doubts about the after sales service but the camera is so similar in use to my M7 and doesn't need long scanning sessions that I think yes, it can be my camera!
robert

If you get the M10 before we meet this year, that would be great. Then I could see how the M10 looks like in person.

I was having trouble keeping color paper and chemistry on hand. The low temp RA4 kits were getting hard you source reliably, and paper supply was erratic. I started inkjet printing and thought the digital route would give me a simpler workflow. I've not really looked back. I still shoot some color film here and there, but nowhere near the frequency I used to.

I bought a M240 about a month ago, haven't taken it outside the house yet as whenever I get the photography urge I grab my Barnack iiif instead. It is smaller and lighter, and I don't mind the lack of a meter.

In the early 1970s, the first Leica I used was an M1 on a microscope.

My favorite 35mm film rangefinder has been a Leica M6. I have also used Contax, Canon, Argus, Minolta, and Fuji rangefinders.

In 2012, I compiled a list of size, weight, and performance features that I wanted my ideal digital rangefinder to have. When the Leica M10 met 28 of my 37 desired features, I decided it was time to buy the Leica M10 because it was as close as I would get to my ideal.

At the time when the M8 was announced, I was heavily invested in Leica M, so a digital M made sense. Aside from Epson's RD1, I don't recall there being any compact large sensor cameras on the market: I think Sigma's DP1 and the first-generation Micro 4/3rds cameras came afterwards.

Really enjoyed the M8 and M9 when I had them! Selling them was another matter: Never before have I seen so many would-be buyers who fretted over well, pretty much everything.

I got the M240 because I love shooting with my film Leicas ( IIIg, M2, M6) and I wanted that same ‘feel’ in the digital world that I wasn’t getting with my then current Canon and Olympus digitals. Not long after I got the 240 the digitals were sold.

I can use all of my M and LTM lenses on the 240 and I especially like that if I come up with a vintage LTM lens I can instantly see how it will look by popping it on the 240.

When I’m shooting with the 240 I’m usually treating it like a film camera ( ISO at 400 or below, manual shutter speed and aperture) and I’m very impressed with the results.

My son ordered a M8 ,told me about it, and while it was in transit I got one for my self.

Got to keep up with the kids you know.

m9P came later.

p

Came back to digital M after an extended break from it.

I'm trying to simplify and reduce my photo (and other) gear, and decided to trade-in bunch of stuff to almost break even with a decent condition M Type 240 with Leica Store warranty. I'm keeping one film M, one digital M, 35/2 and 50/1.4 Pre-ASPH lenses for basically all of my daily photography while OM-D kit will cover underwater, film scanning, video and technical photos.

We'll see if it sticks.

I was all in with a Leica M system - multiple lenses and 3 film bodies, but was finding the logistics of getting my pictures to digital (where they needed to be) was getting more complicated and expensive. I tried a Ricoh GXR as an interim measure but it was so painful to use that I found myself leaving the camera at home, so I decided to trade in the kit I rarely used and get a digital body. I'm now down to four lenses, my M6 and an M262, and I'm enjoying shooting pictures again. I'm still a little rusty but gradually getting back up to speed.

I was fed up with carrying my D810 and lenses from 14mm to 500mm and did not like the black and white conversions from the nikon, so since I had a Leica M6 and M4-P and lenses from 15mm to 50mm it seemed obvious that a digital M might be worth trying. The M10 was too expensive, the M8 and M9's too crude, crap screens, horrible shutter sound, Monochrom too pricey, then I found an M240 just under US$3000 and could not resist.
I've semi retired and don't need the long lenses any more.
I thought I'd use the M240 for black and white conversions which I must say seem much better than the D810, but I instantly fell for the colour files which are exactly what I always wanted but have never found elsewhere in digital, having tried Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, Canon and disliked them all.
So now for me its the Leica film M's for tri-x and the M240 for colour, all in one bag. The Nikon and it's lenses will be going on Ebay but I must admit I will wait to see what Nikon mirrorless gets released before I sell, just in case they don't screw it up.

http://filmisadelight.com

I had/have lots of Leica lenses, so it made sense to me to try out a Leica digital M camera. You kept the RF in place, and the results look fine to me.

Sure I had a good reason for deciding the get a digital Leica but now that I've been using on for about 5-6 years I have no plans on stopping. Sure the M9 I'm using is almost 9 years old but it meets all my needs. Right now I don't see replacing for another 3-5 years if not longer.

Have owned film Leica's since 1975. There has always been one on hand since the Leica CL way back when. I still own film M's but wanted the convince of digital for certain uses. I picked up an M9 about five years ago and traveled through Europe for 90 days with it but never bonded. Sold it two years ago and picked up the MP240 about six months ago. It gives a lot more capability then the M9 so no plans to move to M10.

Why I Bought a Leica M

Why I Bought a Leica M

Was a G.I. in Germany 1961. The M3 seemed like a well built camera with a reputation as the finest 35MM camera around used by all the best shooters at the time.

The Air Force PX in Wiesbaden was asking $250 (about 2 months G.I. salary.) I took the M3 with a 50mm Dual Range Summicron, 35mm Summaron f 2.8; and a 135mm Elmar f 4.0

I have been owner of many other cameras since then but the M3 is still my film companion. I shoot B&W T-Max 400, develop in a small tank, then scan.

My son won't let me sell the camera so I guess it'll be in the family for a while longer.

Richard M, NYC

Back