Why did you get an SL ? Why not an M10?

I have not yet tried using a SONY camera, but I doubt it that I will get a SONY A7 simply because it may not excite me to use such a camera. I know that this sounds "bad", but I want to stay with a Leica camera.

It's not bad at all... it's better to be happy when photographing.

A year on ...

I remain quite happy with the CL. My Ms are gone, my SL before it. The CL suits me for my daily walk around .. that and the little Panasonic GX9 I got recently and on which I use my teensy Olympus Body Cap Lenses (15mm f/8, 9mm f/8 Fisheye) most of the time. The GX9 suits my bicycling nicely, the CL is my usual pick for more serious hand held work.

Of course, I also acquired the Hasselblad 907x that I ordered in Summer 2019 this past March. On a level of absolute capability, it goes past any digital camera I've had before, and it is also a peach to shoot with (like all my Hasselblads have been). But it is largish and heavy-ish for casual walking about: I tend to use it in a more deliberate frame of mind.

If I had to unwind back to 2015 and do it all over again, with the lenses now available, I'd buy an SL2, a couple of new lenses, adapt my R lens kit to it, sell off all the M gear, keep the GX9, and stick with the Hasselblads as I have now. I'd always keep my Polaroids... :D

G

I had a lot of vintage SLR lenses including R, Contax C/Y, Konica, Contarex, Nikon and wanted to continue using them so a mirrorless like the SL2 with the superior EVF was a good idea. A good idea in theory at least. Rather than a photographer I became a lens tester with all these adapters and shots of mundane stuff to A/B test. Meanwhile for actual shooting I reach for an M9. So after some meditation I realized I was looking back too much in the past and it was burdening my current and future gear decisions. I only lost a little money trading the SL2, got rid of most of the legacy lenses save a few good ones like the Konica 58/1.2, and top ROM R lenses and got an M10M like I should have done in the beginning. The 020 Viso is not crap. It isn’t an SL2 but works great as intended.

I had a lot of vintage SLR lenses including R, Contax C/Y, Konica, Contarex, Nikon and wanted to continue using them so a mirrorless like the SL2 with the superior EVF was a good idea. A good idea in theory at least. Rather than a photographer I became a lens tester with all these adapters and shots of mundane stuff to A/B test. Meanwhile for actual shooting I reach for an M9. So after some meditation I realized I was looking back too much in the past and it was burdening my current and future gear decisions. I only lost a little money trading the SL2, got rid of most of the legacy lenses save a few good ones like the Konica 58/1.2, and top ROM R lenses and got an M10M like I should have done in the beginning. The 020 Viso is not crap. It isn’t an SL2 but works great as intended.

Ray,

I see your points.

For me the biggest reason to go with a SL2 is for exploiting the native AF glass. Of course this is expensive and has the weight and bulk penalty.

I have no remorse because I see the SL2 and the native glass as being future proofed and the inages and I.Q. are outstanding.

I get what you say: nothing like a "M."

I own lots of legacy glass, but I very infrequently use it on the SL2. The native glass is that good.

Cal

I always wonder..
Why anyone these days..
Would want a reg slr camera w/o a flippy screen..
M10 not included..
Sure the SL is nice with Leica lenses..
But once you have a fully articulated screen..
And have the ability to do any any camera angle including vertical shots..
The SL is a no go for me..

It must be well hidden universe. I simply can't see the reason to buy another slr with evf body just because it is Leica Camera AG. Leica lens is big excuse, but I can't find any evidence it has something really valuable over lenses for Sony.
M10 has no alternatives. SL is just one from many.

Like Godfrey I`m happy with my CL and its native lenses .
I also use my M lenses on it.

Can`t justify an SL but if I was spending M10 money that`s what I`d get .
Size and versatility and I can use my M lenses on the SL too.
I prefer focus peaking to an RF especially with fast lenses.
The 24 -90 would probably do me for most of what I shoot .
Lack of flippy screen wouldn`t bother me .
My Sony has one and I`ve never used it .

Back