Why does M9 show "L102xxxx" when I hit Play button

ornate_wrasse

Local time
6:07 AM
I was trying to look at the 47 images that I'd taken with my M9 and that were on the card. But when I hit the "Play" button, instead of seeing images, I saw a number like L1021116 right in the middle of the screen on the back.

The number changes sequentially when I press the right arrow or left arrow on the back.

Does anyone know what's wrong, why it's doing this and how I can fix it?

I haven't yet tried to put in a new card to see what happens.

Thanks.

Ellen

Have you tried uploading the images to your computer? If you have, and they came out OK, reformat the card in the camera; perhaps something got corrupted.

Perhaps you already are doing this, but before I start taking photos with the card in camera, I will take a peek and from memory in my cranium, double check just to be sure I have put the files on a hard drive, then I format the card before using it. I don't take photos, keep the card in camera, then a while later take some more. At the end of the photo adventure/session I download the photos with a card reader, then put the card back into the camera. And when I start another session, take a peek at what's on the card, OK?, then format. I only use RAW capture, keep it simple, no mistakes or oops!

Hope this helps you.

Did you take the lens cap off?

Is your question a serious one?

When I'm trying to Play back the images so I can see them on the screen, what difference does it make if the lens cap is on or off??

BTW, even though the answer is not relevant to the question, I did have the lens cap off.

Have you tried uploading the images to your computer? If you have, and they came out OK, reformat the card in the camera; perhaps something got corrupted.

I just tried uploading the images to Lightroom in my computer. Actually, I found out that I'd already uploaded them and had forgotten to format the card after I'd done this. So, knowing they were already uploaded, I reformatted the card. I then took a test image and it played back normally, exactly as it should. Problem solved!

Thanks for your input.

Ellen

Perhaps you already are doing this, but before I start taking photos with the card in camera, I will take a peek and from memory in my cranium, double check just to be sure I have put the files on a hard drive, then I format the card before using it.

I am already doing exactly what you do, i.e. take a peek at the images on the card in the camera, double check to make sure I've already uploaded them, then format the card before a new photo session. I was trying to take a peek at the 47 images and was stymied that I couldn't see a single image, only the numbers as described in my earlier post. But once I formatted the card, everything is now OK and I can see images once again when I hit the Play button.

Thanks for your help!

Ellen

By the way, ornate_wrasse, I dig your lens collection.

Thank you!

The only changes I'm thinking of making at this time are to possibly sell the CV 28mm 1.9 Ultron (as I now have the 28mm Elmarit) and to perhaps buy a 21mm lens that works on my M9. I'll keep the 21mm Super Angulon for use on my M3.

All the best,

Ellen

Are you double-clicking on the images directly from the card, or are you downloading them from the computer and then working on them? If you're clicking on an image that's in your card (that is, if you've inserted the SD card into a card reader/card slot in your computer), and then working on it in Lightroom, PhotoShop etc, then that's what will happen. You should download the photo from your card onto your hard drive, THEN work on the photo.

here a recent post in ref. to the same issue on M240 (not M9) but it could be related :
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2556773&postcount=27

"Other thing you should not do is to work on a photo directly from the card -- download the photo from the card onto the computer, then work on it. If you double-click on an image on the card and work on it in say, PhotoShop, when you put the card back into the camera and then try to 'playback' the images, what you will get when you come to that particular image is not the image, but a black screen with the filename "

That is indeed very interesting because that is exactly what it looked like on my screen.

Thanks for pointing this out, it certainly is helpful information.

Ellen

Are you double-clicking on the images directly from the card, or are you downloading them from the computer and then working on them? If you're clicking on an image that's in your card (that is, if you've inserted the SD card into a card reader/card slot in your computer), and then working on it in Lightroom, PhotoShop etc, then that's what will happen. You should download the photo from your card onto your hard drive, THEN work on the photo.

I don't think I double-clicked on the images directly from the card and then worked on them in Lightroom, but maybe I did. This is likely the explanation for why I saw the file number appear on the screen of my M9 instead of the image.

Thanks for your post!

Ellen

When I'm trying to Play back the images so I can see them on the screen, what difference does it make if the lens cap is on or off??

BTW, even though the answer is not relevant to the question, I did have the lens cap off.

So it wasn't the lens cap.

;)

Glad u got it sorted.

My apologies; I was not being serious. It was a poor attempt at humor.

It is great that the cause of the problem was determined by more sincere and helpful RFFers here.

Back