Will M6 reissue mean meter repair parts will now be in stock for the Classic?

Replacement parts would be great, but no, it's probably not an M6, but rather an MP that looks like an M6.

After following along with the news of the supposed new film camera from Leica being just a reissue of the M6 Classic, I wonder if the meter parts will be interchangeable with the original cameras, or if Leica has reengineered it to be incompatible. ...
Not a chance. They'll use the meter from the MP, which BTW needs to be calibrated and adjusted at Leica. The original M6 classic's meter was a much simpler design (essentially plug 'n play).

Reactions: das
With almost 40 years between the models, I doubt it...add to that the parts shortages in the world, and I'd even say impossible.

Even if Leica makes a dumb decision, they will sell out of whatever they make, and pretty soon there will be a commemorative edition, and it will sell out too.

Doubtul in my opinion.

A meter upgrade using current technology and more bells and whistles is much more likely.

What sort of bells and whistles do you envision? Nothing comes to mind for me. A choice of metering patterns would be nice, but I don't see how they could do that. Or maybe a zone system function?

If it's different from the original M6, can it really be a "reissue?"

OK maybe a selector switch that lets you select one frameline at a time, like 50mm or 75mm, not 50mm and 75mm. So the selector would switch from set 1 to set 2. Set 1 could be the M2 set, 35-50-90. Set 2 would be 135-75-28.

Leica has some rewind crank tops left over from the á-la-carte days and engraves 500 of them with “M6”, a red dot and MP innards. Voila! You have a special edition. (My guess - as good as anyone’s).

I don’t know why people expect them to be sold at a lower price?
When did Leica ever surprise anyone with a price lower than expected?
Why would Leica use capacity to produce cheaper cameras when they can’t even meet demand for their more expensive models?

Why would Leica use capacity to produce cheaper cameras when they can’t even meet demand for their more expensive models?

If there's a parts shortage for something in the more expensive model that's causing a bottleneck, and that part can be replaced with something cheaper to take advantage of a booming interest in second-hand M6s that are increasing in value while still being cheaper than the models you currently sell... it makes perfect sense.

The question is more "is this even physically possible" than "would Leica do it". How can they cut costs and produce a cheaper model while also not undermining their reputation as a "premium"/"luxury" brand?

I would assume that the CL/M5 situation is one that folks at Leica are keen to avoid repeating.

Cheaper does not mean cheap though. It could be $500 cheaper and made somewhere else by different people than those making the MP and M-A.

Would a Portugal factory-made M be in the works? An M7-2? Interesting speculation and comments at the bottom of this article.

After following along with the news of the supposed new film camera from Leica being just a reissue of the M6 Classic, I wonder if the meter parts will be interchangeable with the original cameras, or if Leica has reengineered it to be incompatible.

More information on the upcoming Leitz M6 film camera reissue - Leica Rumors

PF

According to my old camera repairman friend (now long since retired), even during the run of M6 model cameras the meter and its circuitry changed a few times, and was thus incompatible from the end of the run to the beginning of the run, with a couple of changes in between. It would make no sense at all to try to revivify 1970-era electronics for the light meter in a "new" retro-classic M6.

Personally, I'd be more enthused if they revivified the M4 (or -2, -P variants) ... just a simple, all mechanical, batteryless M ... and to heck with the built-in meter. It's easy to set the exposure in daylight by guess, and I have half a dozen excellent meters anyway. That's one of the reasons that, while I once had an M6 and M6TTL, I prefer and continue to enjoy a nice M4-2 that I bought a dozen years ago. The availability of a new example of one of these cameras ... exactly as they were when introduced 50-40 some years ago ... would be a great thing.

G

What's wrong with the M-A and the MP? You have a choice between meter and no meter. Drop the price $500 for a limited time and Bob's your uncle. Then they wouldn't have to build a new camera. Of course I know that's not the way the Leica game is played. The new camera has to be limited edition with slotted screws instead of Phillips head screws to give Leica owners something to boast about. Obviously, the slotted screws more authentic. All the Barnacks had slotted screws.

Strong US Dollar bodes well for more-affordable Leica equipment for USA buyers, and the new 35/1.4 is already slightly cheaper than it's predecessor. But a new M camera body for 3000 USD is probably wishful thinking. Pretty sure that no matter what apparent consensus on internet fora seems to suggest, the actual market for luxury film rangefinder cameras is tiny.

Of all the people who have chimed in saying that the world wants, nay, needs a more-affordable film M-camera from Leica, I wonder how many are prepared to buy one immediately? Me: Nope.

According to my old camera repairman friend (now long since retired), even during the run of M6 model cameras the meter and its circuitry changed a few times, and was thus incompatible from the end of the run to the beginning of the run, with a couple of changes in between. It would make no sense at all to try to revivify 1970-era electronics for the light meter in a "new" retro-classic M6.

Personally, I'd be more enthused if they revivified the M4 (or -2, -P variants) ... just a simple, all mechanical, batteryless M ... and to heck with the built-in meter. It's easy to set the exposure in daylight by guess, and I have half a dozen excellent meters anyway. That's one of the reasons that, while I once had an M6 and M6TTL, I prefer and continue to enjoy a nice M4-2 that I bought a dozen years ago. The availability of a new example of one of these cameras ... exactly as they were when introduced 50-40 some years ago ... would be a great thing.

G

While I wasn't thinking that electronically the new meter would be a match, my concern was whether it would be physically possible to use the new meter in an older body. Will have to wait for the new camera to be introduced to find out.

I'm happy with my M4-P also, with a VC II for those situations when it's hard to discern a good solution on the fly.

PF

Back