Canon LTM Worth it to overhaul Canon VI-L?

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Exploring RF

New at RF
Local time
7:18 AM
Hi there, got a Canon VI-L in outwardly pristine condition. Bought it for the lens, so next to nothing in the camera thus far. Now digging the camera, but it has shutter issues. Rangefinder is well calibrated. VF/RF pretty darn good for visibility (I'm accustomed to Voigtlander Brightline viewfinders). It was stored as a collector camera for 25 years.

Got quote for overhaul, but at over $300. Sounds ok IF it will be reliable going forward. Thoughts from users of the Cannon VI? Big thanks in advance! Steve

I picked up an excellent Canon VI-T a few years back. Outwardly, almost mint, but the shutter was firing at the same speed no matter what speed I set it to, and it had a broken self-timer. I sent it off to Kanto Camera in Japan for a total CLA. They replaced the self-timer (don't ask me where they found a self-timer for a 60 year old camera), and retuned the shutter. It now works as if it was brand new. This camera is now one of my favorite rangefinders. It was well worth the money I spent on it.

Jim B.

I would go for the overhaul of the VIL...not a common model as the VIT and yet it was more enjoyable to use and weighed less and made more sense in retrospect.

For me, there's a pleasure in resurrecting and using a fine piece of mechanical equipment from the past. I've done so for cameras, bikes, motorcycles, and even (God help me!) a '69 Triumph Spitfire. Many of them are no longer in my possession (good riddance to the Triumph!), but I'm glad to know they're still in circulation somewhere, and bringing someone else pleasure (or, in the case of the Triumph, aggravation).
I certainly think the overhaul is worth it, from that perspective. But even if you choose not to do it, find the camera a home with someone who will have the work done. Beautiful old cameras such as your Canon deserve to be kept working, and used!

Thank you, each of you! The nudge is all I need. I use a Bessa T regularly, but I'm seeing this Canon as a good choice for me as well. Best!

Great camera! My only issue when I owned a VI-L was the serrated wheel is right next to the viewfinder. Scratched my glassed on more than one occasion...Pity really - one of best Canon Rangefinder

The VI-L was my favorite of the Canon screw mounts. If you keep it, you should also try to track down all the auto-parallax-adjusting finders that go with it. They are bright and clear and work very well.

I would absolutely get it repaired if you like the camera. I have a VI-L in great condition but that had a shutter that capped at high speeds. I sent it to the Head Bartender’s repair service for a CLA including shutter adjustment. Got the camera back in less than four weeks with the problem fixed. It’s a very nice shooter.

This is viewed by many as the best Canon RF camera ever made. I had one in very clean condition in a camera case. I traded it for a Standard Leica plus paying $200 or so.

This is viewed by many as the best Canon RF camera ever made. I had one in very clean condition in a camera case. I traded it for a Standard Leica plus paying $200 or so.

Second only of course to the VI-T, which is the best option for left-eyed shooters. :)

Thanks all for the advice! Reporting back, DAG did a fine overhaul job in a reasonable amount of time. Great communication. All good! Appreciate the encouragement here to go for getting the overhaul.

While awaiting the return of the VI-L, I acquired an L1 in perfect operating condition. I'm liking that viewfinder better for ease of use, but the VI-L 1:1 viewfinder for 50mm is great. I may have to try the VL too...if I can find one. My Bessa T is great, but I'm falling in love with these V and VI series Canons!

Thanks all for the advice! Reporting back, DAG did a fine overhaul job in a reasonable amount of time. Great communication. All good! Appreciate the encouragement here to go for getting the overhaul.

While awaiting the return of the VI-L, I acquired an L1 in perfect operating condition. I'm liking that viewfinder better for ease of use, but the VI-L 1:1 viewfinder for 50mm is great. I may have to try the VL too...if I can find one. My Bessa T is great, but I'm falling in love with these V and VI series Canons!

Check the classifieds, I have a very nice VL and the finders on sale if you're interested

You will love your L1, mine is my favorite RF ever. Handles smoothly, feels great in your hand. RangefinderViewfinder a gem.

Back then I admired a BRG Spitfire, strictly on looks.
Wound up with a 1968 Triumph 250 with its own issues instead
Can't argue about the looks; that car did turn heads. But the engineer who spec'd the twin SU carbs deserves to spend eternity in Hell, keeping them in sync.

Can't argue about the looks; that car did turn heads. But the engineer who spec'd the twin SU carbs deserves to spend eternity in Hell, keeping them in sync.T
AFAIK the Triumph 250 had the same twin SU carbs. :-(
Altho a six (!) cylinder engine sounded like a good plan (woo-hoo...like a Jaguar or a Big Healey!) turned out to be not so much....

Back