Would you buy Nikon S mount CV lenses now?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
3:49 AM
I have an Amedeo adapter for S-M, so it is tempting to buy from Stephen a CV lens in S mount at the special rates offered.

For example, the 50/2.5 and the 50/1.5 are well priced, and I could also maybe try a new CV wide angle lens too.

Why aren't people grabbing the leftover inventory, or are they?

I mean, with an adapter, an S mount lens could be used on M cameras or on S cameras.

Who has bought an S mount CV lens?

I actually use the Nokton 50mm 1.5 S mount on my Leica M cameras. Works well (focus spot on) and IMO the design looks better than the plain all black of the screwmount version.

I have an Amedeo adapter for S-M, so it is tempting to buy from Stephen a CV lens in S mount at the special rates offered.

Most external mount S-mount CV lenses don't work on an Amedeo type adapter. The rear metal shroud on the rear of the lens is too large and interferes with the focus cam on M-mount cameras. The only lenses that do work are the 50/1.5, 50/2.5, and 85/3.5. The 50/3.5 also works of course, but its internal mount rather than external mount.

I've owned and used all the S-mount CV lenses except the 50/2.5 and 85/3.5 (and I've tried both of those). They have the exact same optical formulas as the LTM/M-mount versions, so are excellent performers. But I ended up selling them all because I'd rather use vintage Nikkors on my Nikon rangefinders.

Thanks for the warning, so I better stay away from wide angle lenses if I want to use the lens on an M body.

You can get some cool vintage Nikkors for your Amedeo adapter, Raid, that are cheaper, and sometimes younger than the LTM counterparts. The 2.5cm, 2.8cm, and 3.5cm/2.5 come to mind. Unfortunately the 35/1.8 won't fit. Or a 50/1.1 .... Just saying. :)

Roland.

Jon made a list of Amedeo-adaptable lenses here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79631

Not many WA lenses work. You can use a Nikkor 3.5cm f2.5, but not a 35mm CV.

Looks like Roland was mistaken about the 2.5cm; also 2.8cm Nikkor except beyond 6'.

As Jon mentioned above, the CV S-lenses run counter to the vintage look that one might want from Nikon RF.

But the S-mount CV wide angles vignette less than their vintage Nikkor counterparts. I've been using a Nikkor 2.5cm and have found it fine for BW. But in color, the near-black corners can look unnatural and don't smooth out well with anti-vignetting software. 25mm Skopar also vignettes, but not as badly.

You can get some cool vintage Nikkors for your Amedeo adapter, Raid, that are cheaper, and sometimes younger than the LTM counterparts. The 2.5cm, 2.8cm, and 3.5cm/2.5 come to mind. Unfortunately the 35/1.8 won't fit. Or a 50/1.1 .... Just saying. :)

Roland.

I tried in vain to stay away from this path.
Now I can do what you have suggested, and this means spending money on more lenses.
The 2.5cm would be cool to get.

edit: Based on the last posting above, this is not possible.

This is currently my only S lens:

Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4 (Olympic/Millennium) (YES - will mount and focus properly)

I've bought a couple of CV S-mount lenses - 50 and 25 - and they're both great, but I only use them on my S3, I have other stuff for my M6 and SM Leicas.

Why aren't people grabbing the leftover inventory, or are they?

I am tempted, but the 25mm is a bit too close to my 28mm and would probably end as a shelf queen. And I have doubts whether residual focus error on the 35/2.5 won't bite me on the Contax.

Besides, the customs office relocated to some uncharted slum behind the remotest edge of town and requires personal pick up, so that I now have to calculate in a day off work just to pick up the goods, which has generally put me off US purchases for the past two years.

This is currently my only S lens:

Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4 (Olympic/Millennium) (YES - will mount and focus properly)

Get away from the adapter path, take advantage of the S3 finder, and just get yourself a fine classic W-Nikkor-C 35/1.8 in S-mount. Their prices have decreased a little and there are more of them on the market than a few years ago.

Then you'll have the S3 2000 with two Nikkors, and lenses being the finest of each focal length.

Travelling and shooting with an S3 plus the 35-50 combo is a breeze.

Keep it simple !

Of course you could get a W-Nikkor-C 35/2.5 (which will work on the Amedeo adapter and is almost as good as the 35/1.8) but I can't believe that you don't have any M-mount 35mm lens already... so the W-Nikkor-C 35/1.8 in S-mount is the way to go if you like using the S3 body ! ;)

I agree completely :)

Its a lot more fun using these vintage Nikkors on the cameras they were intended for, rather than trying to adapt this lens to that camera etc.

Yes. Adapters are a pain, in general. And using them always adds some nasty wobble, even with well built and expensive ones.

Raid, now that you have a beautiful S3 2000 plus 50/1.4 Millenium kit you will very seriously consider buying this lens.

Free shipping to Florida ! :angel: ;)

Raid, I agree with most here, get yourself the glass which is kind of 'exclusive' to the Nikon-S mount, you might grow tired,of the adapter on the M9 quickly (the millenium lens you already have works very well though.. and is very small on the M9 even with adapter) smaller than a summilux.

the 3,5 1.8 vintage is a must imo and has become very accessible pricewise lately, and it was MADE for an S3 which has the huge 35mm framlines in the 1:1 Finder, funny nikon coupled this lens with the SP. (much cheaper than the more difficult to find LTM version, also it looks better.. )

or the exclusive to the S-mount 3.5 1.8 all-black/multicoated (limited to 2500 with the SP2005 set) can be found split up sometimes for not cheap but let's say reasonable priced sometimes. maybe the best 35mm lens I've ever tested, different than the lux asph, but not worse, with rather better signature to my eye.

also the VC 21 skopar and the 25 skopar are very cheap and superb performers you can get them almost for free nowdays, they look good, have good ergonomics too.
maybe a 50 1.1 nikkor if you're lucky to see one low priced.

I have a soft spot for the 28mm 3.5, which is SUPERDUPER even on the M9 and the rare and special signature 25/4, but this one is rather expensive, but looks to good to be true on an S body.

Back