X-pro3 & state of the digital camera

Digital is so good now that unless you: print 2m on the long side, crop like a demon, or take pictures of black cats in dark rooms, then APS-C will serve you well. Dynamic range is also very good; though this is sensor dependent and not necessarily size dependent.

Fujifilm is very smart in a way. The 44mmx33mm sensor they use in MF isn't really a huge increase from 36mmx24mm (its much bigger going from APS-C to 36mmx24mm), but gives them branding room. "no, but we have..." Of course, they sell fewer cameras...

I tried the Canon RP but was underwhelmed; returned it. Granted, not the best sensor; happily went back to APS-C even though the RP was a bargain. I like smaller lenses also lol. YMMV

Bought a used Leica Q2 for a road trip last month. Had been longing for one since like forever. As expected, it was nice, the only gripe being it's also a beast compared to the rest of fixed lens camera pack. The 47MP sensor is overwhelming too - very thin margin of focusing & exposing error. Despite the awesome focus ring, it's not a camera that's fit to just snap away.

Would really be nice...if they can just resurrect a X camera and update it with an EVF. I really don't need FF for my intended use.

Good that Fuji is sticking to what it is, IMO. APS-C is the segment they'd been dead fixed to dominate, and that's a clever move. No way for them to drop that and join the FF competition with 4 established systems, a white hot fighting pit with little prospect of profit left.

As long as Fuji could push APS-C cameras with FF price tag, no point for Fuji. But they already feel competition and have to follow on IBIS.

I would love to see new X with just less antique sensor choice of Leica Camera AG. And updated battery latch. Plus touchscreen. T is too mobile phonish. CL is just a rip-off. On CL price and nothing special, if not mediocre lenses in entire CL/TL line.

The 47MP sensor is overwhelming too - very thin margin of focusing & exposing error. Despite the awesome focus ring, it's not a camera that's fit to just snap away.

Don’t zoom in to 100% and make smaller prints and it’ll be the same focus miss as your lower mp cameras.

Well, I use an XPro-2 professionally for my editorial photography on a flying magazine, and used to shoot air-to-airs on Leica Ms, Rs and even a Rollei SLX. I've used a Nikon DSLR for that kind of thing of late, but for all the ground stuff and personal pictures, the X-Pro 2 is an absolute delight - much more technically capable and almost as fun to use as a film camera

As long as Fuji could push APS-C cameras with FF price tag, no point for Fuji. But they already feel competition and have to follow on IBIS.

I would love to see new X with just less antique sensor choice of Leica Camera AG. And updated battery latch. Plus touchscreen. T is too mobile phonish. CL is just a rip-off. On CL price and nothing special, if not mediocre lenses in entire CL/TL line.

I dunno...I'm growing fonder and fonder of the little Elmarit 18 on the CL. It's pretty nice, and very compact. Plus, with the new "crop" feature, I can set it up for a 35mm equivalent, and actually see beyond the frame lines. And the resultant 16MP resolution is just fine.

I wish I could love the Fuji X system - god knows I've tried many of them (Xpro1, 3, XE2, 3, XT2) - but I just don't like the way the raw files look.
It's too bad, but it is just my problem. Many others love it.

I agree with you Ko Fe, although I don't caere for a touchscreen. I love the X cameras in their elegant design. What is interesting however is that Fuji with X100 line are with the hybrid finder and particularly the OVF, offering what Leica should offer in a compact X-like camera. As I am selling the X Vario, I considered a CL but went instead with the Fuji X100V, in large part for the finder. I like many other aspects of the Fuji as well.

David

I agree with you Ko Fe, although I don't caere for a touchscreen. I love the X cameras in their elegant design. What is interesting however is that Fuji with X100 line are with the hybrid finder and particularly the OVF, offering what Leica should offer in a compact X-like camera. As I am selling the X Vario, I considered a CL but went instead with the Fuji X100V, in large part for the finder. I like many other aspects of the Fuji as well.

David

I have tried X-pro 3 and have walk through with experienced user. Just not my thing. X100V, tried, but it is too small for advanced and AF/MF OVF/EVF, IMO..
I like images they render.

I don't like Leica X series rendering, but cameras are most attractive cameras I ever seen (non Vario ones, just X1, X2, X-E).

Wearing IIIc for now, it gets compliments regulatory. X with slow prime is just right alternative for it. And up to date sensor would make it for me as usable camera :).

Fuji X series are very usable, but not nice enough for me to justify cropped sensor priced camera at FF prices level.

Leica X series cameras are super nice, but finding image I would like from them is next to impossible.
This and only user seems to know some rare secret how to get good, fuji X like photo from X2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/138168860@N07/50492930671/in/photostream/

I have tried X-pro 3 and have walk through with experienced user. Just not my thing. X100V, tried, but it is too small for advanced and AF/MF OVF/EVF, IMO..
I like images they render.

I don't like Leica X series rendering, but cameras are most attractive cameras I ever seen (non Vario ones, just X1, X2, X-E).

Wearing IIIc for now, it gets compliments regulatory. X with slow prime is just right alternative for it. And up to date sensor would make it for me as usable camera :)

Fuji X series are very usable, but not nice enough for me to justify cropped sensor priced camera at FF prices level.

Leica X series cameras are super nice, but finding image I would like from them is next to impossible.
This and only user seems to know some rare secret how to get good, fuji X like photo from X2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/138168860@N07/50492930671/in/photostream/

Ko.Fe,

The IIIC is a really nice camera! Last time I had one, I glued my CV 28 f3.5 to it and was happy. I had the X-113 and it became my favorite X, shooting DNG. I found the rendering just fine. I also like the X Vario but it is a very different camera and for me having the faster lens is important. I did have X1 and that was a great camera but I felt the X 113 was an improvement.

The later X cameras XV and X-113 also have really wonderful manual focus capability with focus magnification that works really well. If you can look in two windows using a Leica III, then looking at magniifcation in the LCD should not be so bad! :D

The Fuji X100 cameras are a different layout but after a little adjustment I like using them. None are like an M camera for me but they provide auto focus, and the X100 are nice and small. And again, for me combined with size and OVF, they work well for me.

David

On several other discussion forums dedicated to the Fuji X cameras, I’ve noticed more than a few people saying they had thought about selling their X-Pro1 (even for very little money today), but then when they reviewed the many photos made with the X-Pro1, they claim they realized those photos have a certain “look” that other digital cameras, even later Fuji X cameras, don’t have.

I’ve heard the same thing about the Nikon D700 and Pentax K10D, but those have CCD sensors.

Personally, I don’t see any of it. Perhaps I’m not sophisticated enough. I have all three of these cameras and - aside from resolution - their images are just like every other digital image to me.

On several other discussion forums dedicated to the Fuji X cameras, I’ve noticed more than a few people saying they had thought about selling their X-Pro1 (even for very little money today), but then when they reviewed the many photos made with the X-Pro1, they claim they realized those photos have a certain “look” that other digital cameras, even later Fuji X cameras, don’t have.

I was guilty of this- except I did sell my X-pro 1. Pixel peeping gets a bad rap but you pretty much have to if you have a crap monitor.

Compared files of the x-pro 1 with the 23mm f2 to the Canon RP and RF35mm. Even though I no longer had the Fuji, I returned the Canon stuff while the returning was good. That said, the Canon was excellent, but it didn't blow anything away. Bought a beater Coolpix A to fill the void...

I could never get on with the X-Pro2 - the image quality could be challenging and unpredictable. I would have given serious consideration to the X-Pro3 but the compromised OVF was a deal breaker (I don't like EVFs). I still have an original X100 that is fun to use and still produces good files. I have always been very fond of the X-Pro1 and regretted selling the last one I had so I bought another one about a week ago. Very happy to say that it does all I need and hopefully I'll be able to hold on to this one. So, Fuji have nothing in their current offer that interests me with the possible exception of the X100V but I still have concerns over the later versions of the X-Trans sensors so probably wont buy one. I do have an M240 so I'm not suffering :)

The XP1 does have a somewhat different "look" than the XP2--even different from the other Fujis of the same heritage like the XT1. It's not really better, just slightly different. The way some lenses have a different look. I'm also happy with the Nikon D700's "look". I love how the D700 is so well behaved (Thom Hogan's jargon) the 12mp sensor always makes for a photo that looks right, organic, filmic, whatever you personally see in it. Again, this is not "better", just different.

It's how the camera handles that determines how I use it. The XP1 is a problem for me because I wear progressive lenses and Fuji, in their infinite but questionable wisdom, chose not to give the viewfinder diopter adjustments. I still use the XP1 but I have to make allowances in how I hold the camera to get the eyepiece position right. XP2 fixes this and a few other little nitpicks I had and the XP2 is a pleasure to handle. The XP3 hasn't appealed to me because, for me, the handling would be a disaster.

Further, the D700 handles great for me. It's big and heavy I admit but I like the fit of the camera. The D800 and D810 (I have both) are also nice fitting cameras but those 36mp are just overkill for my use. I treat them as medium format cameras.

Image quality? They're all great. Better than I need.

I just bought a lightly used XP2 because I couldn't find an XP3 in stock anywhere. So far I'm really happy with the camera. The magnification of the OVF is brilliant.

I've been using the X-Pro3 for about a year I think...(and the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 before that) and it is absolutely my favorite camera ever.

Back