X100 vs 35mm f2 conundrum

Ste_S

Well-known
Local time
10:15 AM
Currently own a X-E2 with 16-55, and a X100S.

Debating getting a 23mm f2 for the X-E2 (and potentially selling the X100S), or alternatively part ex-ing the X100S for a X100T.

I'm happy with the 16MP sensors and don't feel the need for a X100F/V or X-E3, but do like classic chrome hence the X100T.

Opinions? I'd imagine a few Fuji shooters have gone through similar. Anyone ditched their X100 for a 23mm f2 on a X-Ex?

Opinions? I'd imagine a few Fuji shooters have gone through similar. Anyone ditched their X100 for a 23mm f2 on a X-Ex?

I bought the x100 (original) shortly after that model was launched, and then I got an x-E1 about three or four years later. Although it didn't come with the 23mm, that focal length was covered by the 18-55mm which was attached.

For a couple of years, I used the x-E1 quite a lot, but now it sits mostly unused. :eek: The x100 still sees regular use, so I guess that's a (sort-of!) answer to your question.

I initially pre-ordered an X100S back in 2013. Then I felt I wanted to have ILC camera so purchased a used X-E1 which I used with the XF 35mm and a Nikkor 85mm f2.0. Eventually I decided I would just stick with the X100 series so sold the X-E1 and the two lenses. I purchased a second X100S and picked up both the TCL and WCL lenses. Eventually my first X100S died and I sent it for repair. Fuji informed me that I would cost about $450 for the "repair" and I approved it. Turns out they sold me an X100F instead of repairing the X100S. For a variety of reasons, I sold the X100F and picked up another [used] X100S. For me, the three-lens setup (28mm, 35mm, 50mm) satisfies the way I shoot today in retirement.

The X100t is the sexier option and the 23mm f2 is the practical option. Your wallet will dictate the latter of course, but what do you really want?

My normal kit is an XT-1 with the 23mm f2 lens. That is simply because I do best with one lens and that is the focal length that works best for me. Others differ. I also have an original X100 that is always in my car. The XT-1 has the ability to swap for the 14mm f2.8 lens when that works best. The X-100 has the built in flash which is helpful at times. I do not see this as an either/or situation.

I have evaluated upgrading my gear to later models but finally concluded that the quality of my photos, which is of primary importance to me and not equipment, is my only objective.

It all boils down to whatever works best for you.

You have everything you need in the X100S (or T).

For me, I upgraded from the X100 to the S and skipped the T because darling husband stole the S and replaced it with an F. Poor me? No!

I used to carry around a D3 and the X, but now? I am an woman of certain age and maybe 50 kg dipped in the ocean. So. I carry just two X100F (I bought another one) and the little 28mm WCL-x100 stays on it.

For the work that I am doing... 28-35-50-75 bellissimo!

Not an exact comparison for your question but it is my offering.

Ciao bello,
Mme. O

The X100t is the sexier option and the 23mm f2 is the practical option. Your wallet will dictate the latter of course, but what do you really want?

Happy with the 18-55 on the X-E2 for 90% of the time. The other 10% I want something a bit more compact, fixed focal length and an extra stop of light.

So X-E2 with the 23mm and slim down to one camera, two lenses. Or two cameras with a X100T, and X-E2 for the 18-55.

I think I know what I want now. The X100 series are so nice that I'd regret it if I got rid of one, so I'll be swooping my S for a T.

Sounds like you've made your mind up but I wanted to add: why not an x-pro 1 or 2, viltrox 23mm 1.4 and the 18-55?

The X100 series are so nice that I'd regret it if I got rid of one, so I'll be swooping my S for a T.

If you like photography and do it seriously, it is always smart to have two cameras. I think you made the right decision.

Hi,
I have the X-Pro2 with 18, 35 and 60mm lenses, which I love. However, I missed the 35mm (equivalent) which was my favourite lens on my Leica. Therefore, my problem was whether to get the 23mm lens or an X100 camera instead. I decided to get the X100T as it was smaller and more discreet than the XP2. I don't regret the decision at all. As with the Leica+35mm I can easily carry it all day in a small bum-bag or large pocket and it is virtually invisible in action.

X100T
GENIUS by John Beeching, on Flickr

Leica M6 35mm
Grating cassava, Amazonas, Colombia by John Beeching, on Flickr

I have the X100F and XT3 and I basically never use the 23 on the XT3. No reason to for me, the X100F is perfect as it is. If I wan to go small with the XT3, I'll use the 27 f2.8. I guess I don't really need the 23... hmmm

You don't really need anything more than what you have, lens wise.

I'm not sure but the firmware update for the XE2 might include Classic Chrome. It's been a good while since I owned either but I recall the XE2 and XE2S were essentially the same camera once the update was done.

The X100T was my choice. I also have a X-Pro 2.

The advantage of a second camera is you have a back up.

The disadvantage is camera operation is not identical for both cameras. For me, even small differences can slow things down. Since your XE-2 does not have an OVF, the differences could be greater if you find you enjoy using an OVF.

I also have a 23/2 for my X-Pro 2. I use the X-Pro 2 for planned projects. I use the X-100T as an every-day carry.

These two lenses do render differently.

The X-100T lens is not suitable for close ups when at apertures wider than f 4. Fujifilm states:

""However, when shooting macro shots with an open aperture in the neighborhood of F2, spherical aberration tends to occur. It is therefore recommended that an aperture value of F4 is selected for macro applications."

Also, the X-100 Macro Mode doe not affect lens optics. Instead it changes the AF algorithms to optimized for critical focusing at close distances.

In general the X-100 lens renders differently below f 4 with a bit less contrast compared to narrower apertures.

In my experience the 23/2 contrast does not vary with aperture.

I'm not sure but the firmware update for the XE2 might include Classic Chrome. It's been a good while since I owned either but I recall the XE2 and XE2S were essentially the same camera once the update was done.

Yes, it must because my XE-2 does have Classic Chrome, though I only ever use Pro Neg Hi. Actually, I never use the recently purchased Fuji since I've been going crazy with film lately. But there you go; thank the Dogman for saving you all that dough.

Back