Xpan Battery Cover?

gdmcclintock

Well-known
Local time
3:14 PM
Question:

Is there a small spring in the Xpan battery cover that touches the battery? I recently acquired an Xpan (first version) that is said to lock up occasionally. This has not yet happened to me, but noticed there was no spring when I loaded new batteries in the camera. Thanks very much!

At least mine has no spring in it, the inside of the cover looks like this. It has been serviced a while ago and the workshop had no complaints about it. It's from a XPan 1.

39537411sa.jpg

My Xpan battery cover looks the same. Because I heard about the camera locking up, and everything seems to work with new batteries, I wondered if there was a missing spring. I guess only time will tell if the locking-up problem occurs for me.

Note that I am the 3rd owner of my Xpan (that I know of) and the first owner was a photojournalist who took it all over the world. The camera is pretty beat-up but seems to work fine so far.

Thanks for your reply!

There is some "springyness" when screwing in the battery cover, but I think that comes from the inside, which the batteries press against inside, rather than from the lid/cap. It always takes me a few goes to get the battery cover started in the thread...

There is some "springyness" when screwing in the battery cover, but I think that comes from the inside, which the batteries press against inside, rather than from the lid/cap. It always takes me a few goes to get the battery cover started in the thread...

If you look into the battery compartment, you will see that the bottom is formed like a spring to bring some tension on the batteries. Pretty clever since this is much less delicate than a spring in the cover which will bend at some point.

39563941em.png

Back