XPro or XT?? Tell us why you decided one or the other

DownUnder

Nikon Nomad
Local time
12:04 PM
Earlier this year I came into a little unexpected money - not having to use it for home repairs, car maintenance, cats or other everyday expenses, I decided to invest in a new camera system other than my Nikons (D90, D700 x2, D800 x2) - okay, with such an arsenal of cameras at my call, it may seem to some to be a little rash (or even silly) to contemplate buying into another system - my reasons were many, but can be quickly summed up as I wanted a new kit that didn't weigh me down every time I went out bush walking or day tripping, I needed something to kick-start my shooting away from the somewhat static images I've tended to make in the past, and I had the cash for once and I wanted some new toys to play with. Reasons enough, I reckon.

I went out hunting - and fell afoul of the "too much information" syndrome one can so easily find on the 'net - a seemingly endless list of sites praising the value of this camera and that lens, many entirely advertorial, far too many very badly put together and written, some outright stupid. All confusing to me - I quickly went off those posters (far too many of them) who lauded the simplicity of traveling with one camera and one or two lenses but then went off with enough gear to fill a steamer trunk, or took every zoom in the Fujinon range with them, somehow managed to use them all and then inflicted too many poor images they had taken with their arsenal of expensive optics. Ditto those who supposedly went seeking 'pure' landscapes and then posted leggy baby dolls in fashionista gear in front of old doors or on beaches.

A few sites did provide rewards (Dpreview posters and Photography Life are two that immediately come to my mind) but I found they were few and far between.

In the end I weaned myself off the search for internet plugs and went to Melbourne to visit my favorite secondhand camera seller - I won't give them a free plug but let me just say Alan and Venus were as always, happy to see me, made me feel entirely at home in their new shop, and Venus proceeded to show me a good range of Fuji camera with some select Fujinon lenses and gave me entirely rational, sensible, intelligently worded advice on what she believed would suit me best. Not always their most expensive stock, but as always for these sellers, excellent value overall.

Then the conundrum - Xpro or XT?? Keeping in mind that I wanted to find an entirely new direction in my photography, and what was on offer, as usual I found myself dithering between one XPro 2, expensive but good value, and several XTs in equally fine condition, two XT1s and one XT2.

As aforesaid, as usual I dithered. The XPro is a little beauty, but I decided was far too much, and a little too expensive, for my needs. So no go. (I must say that I did regret this decision afterwards, and even called the shop again to "negotiate" for an exchange on the camera I did buy, and this little baby, but alas, by then it had sold to someone who saw it and decided to nab it on the spot, a wise customer, he!)

The XT1 appealed, and after a few minutes of intense deliberation I decided to go with it. So I bought it. With two Fujinons, the 14/2.8 and the 18/2.0, which I had decided best fitted my vision of the 'new' photography I intended to do.

Two weeks later - I found the XT1 wasn't really the camera for me. Mechanically, it suited me, but optically, and in the color and mid-tone rendition I preferred, it wasn't quite my cup of, well, fixer I guess. As a lifelong Nikon shooter I was rather too used to the vivid Technicolor-like images my D700s and D800s were producing, and more realistically, I wanted images from my Fuji that more closely matched those already in my archives, than the XT1 was giving me. Yes, I gave the camera a good workout, but it didn't fill my requirements. So back it went.

Alan and Venus were good about it, and quickly gave me an entire refund (which I took as a credit). Venus had a new XT2 in the cabinet and took it out, put me through its paces and voila!! I realised it was the camera for me. Along with two more lenses, the stellar performing 18-55 zoom and a beautiful 23/1.4 they had on consignment, which went on the camera to let me play with it, and in moments I had quite fallen in love with it. So I bought it.

My reasons were many, but on the whole, I preferred to put most of my money into the lenses rather than the camera. Which is why I went with an XT1 first. Other reasons then came into play, and I opted for an XT2. Essentially it was as simple as that...

One day later and about A$3,000 poorer, I had my ideal Fuji kit, one camera and four lenses. Wisely (and for me, sensibly) my partner accepted my reasoning for having spent all that money, in fact a little more than I'd budgeted for, and agreed that having me out and about in the great Australian outdoors with my new toys was infinitely preferable than having me moping about at home (I've been retired for 10 years now, did a lot of travel in Southeast Asia for a few years until Covid grounded me) and brought positive health benefits as well, far better than expensive doctor's visits and medical treatment in my old age.

The XT2 is a delight, the lenses perform faultlessly and give me the colours, tones and sharpness I want, my results now closely match my Nikon images but have a 'look' and 'feel' entirely their own, and I am quite besotted with the XT's black-and-white simulation, especially so the Acros features with all the nice filter effects. With only one negative thought - Ii only Nikon had thought of this film feature before, I would be three thousand dollars richer, sigh!!

Enough for now. What do you think about your own choice of Fuji cameras?? As I did, why did you decide to go with XPro/XT as against XT/Xpro??

I owned the X-Pro 1 and X-T1 more or less concurrently; I'd bought the X-Pro 1 for "stills" (i.e. actual photography), then found it was truly atrocious for video (which I - annoyingly - found myself doing more of not long after picking up the X-Pro), so grabbed the X-T1 as a video-centric body that could take the same lenses (this is pre-X-H1). I kept that two-body kit going for bloody years, and it served me well.

Through using both bodies, I eventually found that the X-T1 didn't inspire me. It was a workhorse, sure, but it wasn't a pleasure to use. It had some benefits over the X-Pro for stills (namely the articulating LCD, the ISO dial, and the far better focus peaking), but the EVF-only finder was annoying for action shots, and the general layout/feel in the hand wasn't as satisfying.

So, when I finally decided it was time for an upgrade, it was a no-brainer: X-Pro 2. It's the best of both worlds for me. Changing the ISO doesn't require going through menus, the focus peaking is even better than the X-T1s, video quality is good, and the OVF is a vast improvement over the original one in the X-Pro 1. Every so often I lament the loss of the articulating screen when doing low-angle product photography shots, but other than that, it just "clicks" with me more than any non-M digital ever has. If the X-Pro 2 had existed a few years earlier, I'd probably have never even looked at the X-T series.

My introduction to fuji started in the 1970's, I always preferred the Fuji company as my go to film option, occasionally Agfa and Hp4 for all my b & w, fast forward and my first digital compact was a Finepix, (the exact model is lost in the mists of time to me), eventually I settle on the x100 and the x-pro1, an x-e1 followed. Placed in the back of a wardrobe I returned to film, recently however I dusted off the Fuji's, (the imminent arrival of my first grandchild a catalyst for this return). Obviously a few weeks of familiarisation led to GAS and so after a lot of lurking in the Fuji chapters of this forum I purchased an X-T2 and boy am I hooked, I would have gave my left arm for such a camera back in the day. Don't get me wrong I love my fuji's the X series is amazing but as a tool, the dials feel so so intuitive on the X-T2, back in the late 1970's as a teenager I used to chat to a neighbour who had decades of experience shooting Pentax, he would recoginse and not be put off by the dials of the X-T2, and so this long winded dribble leads me to a short reason for picking the X-T2, it feels like a familiar tool for my youth but combines the capabilities of this new age. I love the X Pro and XT in different ways, but the X-T is a very exciting camera for me.

I am an X-Pro fan. I just prefer cameras shaped like bricks without huge grips and with the viewfinder on the left. I guess it is the rangefinder fan in me. I still like that shape. To me that is how cameras are supposed to be. I have used the X-T series, X-H, X-E, but now I do not buy them anymore. Currently I use the X-Pro3, GFX50R and a Ricoh GR IIIx for digital. I am very happy.

X-Pro1 for me - I bought it when it was introduced and so there was no XT yet. On sampling XT’s later, they reminded me of the Nikon F4 in that all the main controls are accessible as switches or dials. Highly appealing, but I still preferred the X-Pro1 for its viewfinder. My only complaint of the early X cameras is the right side rear of the camera is too cluttered and easy to make inadvertent button presses. Later cameras were better.

X-Pro for me. As jsrockit mentioned the rangefinder style is a better fit for me as well. Also I can't stand too many buttons on a small camera.

X-Pro1, X-T1, X-E3, X-Pro3. The only ones left with me are the X-Pros.

My only complaint of the early X cameras is the right side rear of the camera is too cluttered and easy to make inadvertent button presses. Later cameras were better.

My modified X-Pro1 has no such problem ;)

When Fuji came out with the X100 I was intrigued but couldn't justify buying one. The X-Pro1 was even more intriguing but also more expensive. Then, in 2016, Fuji started a sell-off of the X-Pro1 that I could not resist. That was my introduction to Fuji. Later I added X-E2 and X-T1 bodies and a lot of Fujinon lenses and even an older X100S. I discovered the reason I loved using the Fujis was the hybrid viewfinder in the XPro and X100 models. I never quite shook the feeling I was using a video camera when I shot with EVFs and I disliked what I considered to be a loss of contact with the subject. (Yeah, I know: go figure.) The only thing I disliked about the X-Pro1 was the lack of an adjustable diopter eyepiece. I struggled with my progressive eyeglass lenses in finding the spot that was in focus. But I continued to use the XP1 and the XE and XT models faded from my use.

Along comes the X-Pro2 and all became right with my world. It had more features and bells and whistles than I needed or wanted but it was a pleasure to use the OVF for a limited range of Fuji AF lenses and there was that EVF for wider and longer lenses than could be handled by the OVF. Kinda like using a Leica M again. Over time I've even come to accept the EVF's versatility when using adapted and manual focus lenses along with focus peaking.

ozmoose, I'm glad you found your ideal Fuji kit. I always say that a person can best use the camera that is comfortable for their uses. I'm also a Nikon user and I mostly shoot B&W. I love the look of the Fuji Acros simulation. I also love shooting my Nikons and I don't care that they are big and heavy and clunky in comparison to the mirrorless trend. It's a good combination, Fuji and Nikon. But everything is good these days--it's just finding what you're comfortable using.

I started with the X Pro 1 and loved the files and the form factor. I didn't like the low res EVF and the difficulty I had using vintage lenses. Replaced it with XT1 cameras and used them happily for several years. When they began showing their age I replaced them with a pair of XH1's at close out prices. Love the XH1 bodies except for the size. I recently had the opportunity to pick up a low mileage X Pro 2 and that seems to be the one that I'll use the most. It's all good. Love all of the bodies with the Zeiss Touit lenses!

My wife has the XT, I had the X Pro, now an X E3. I prefer the RF format for all the usual reasons. High on the list is the ability to pressure the camera against my face for increased stability. More and more necessary as I age.

I'm probably on the younger end of the forum membership (29) but I got my start on film aged 15 because I couldn't afford a digital camera. I eventually got a DSLR but missed the manual shutter speed, the aperture dials, the beauty of older cameras. Blobby plastic was simply the price to pay for digital pictures. The X100 caught my eye when it came out. I finally got an X100S with graduation money and liked it a lot. I ended up finding the fixed focal length limiting and got an X-Pro1 and 35mm ƒ/1.4 a few years later. The vintage design was what really captivated me. That and having an OVF. I used the X-Pro1 from around 2015-2021, when I upgraded to an X-Pro3 Dura Black in September. Same reasons: the OVF and vintage design. The SLR-styled models never appealed to me.

I started out with X-Pros and still have an X-Pro 2, but it now sees action mostly as a backup camera to my X-T 4. I don't actually prefer the X-T 4, since I find the X-Pro's optical finder very useful, but I wanted in-body stabilization for marginal-light shooting and the occasional video clip. If someday there were an X-Pro 4 with IBIS, I’d be all over it.

I bought my first x-pro2 as an alternative to a digital M. I sold it because I didn’t find it to be an M alternative or a good platform for my M and other old lenses - sensor size largely. I bought a second when they were end of line for a very good price - what they cost secondhand now - and accepted that it’s better as an af camera and it’s own thing, not as an M substitute. I like the RF form, the light weight and the optical viewfinder. I also like the ability to use the evf at the push of a lever if I want and the focus patch for manual focus now I’m not trying to have an M replacement.

I have the 23/2, 50/2 and the MF 7artisans 35/1.2 lenses. Sometimes I put my old Canon 28/2.8 on it and zone focus with the ovf. It’s just a nice tool.

M photography is all film now and I have one other digital camera - Panasonic S1r - which is also brilliant but a different thing in many ways.

so X-Pro for the ovf and the form. The S1r does what I’d want an XT to do with a full frame sensor for my old lenses. It’s nice with the Pentax 50/1.2.

No DSLR any more, only my old Canon AE-1 that my grandfather bought me when I was a school boy.

A while back I was shooting film with an M and wanted a camera I could use M glass with. The logical choice was an X-pro2 2nd hand. Love the thing. I got an m246 and the thought was that I would sell the X-pro. Just couldn’t do it. I have since added an X-t4 for potential video/work stuff. Having experience with both cameras, my answer as to what to recommend would be based almost entirely on focal length. For the X-pro2…any prime from 18-35mm is a gem with the OVF. If I was using another focal length (or zooms) OR I used the EVF mostly in an X-pro….I would say the Xt-4 is a better choice as the EVF is superior on the XT line. Subjectively I feel like the x-pro2 is better built than the X-t4 though. IQ is almost the same as well. I do have to say that IBIS is nice to have.

When I looked for a camera to hold me while my Monochrom went in to Leica for a new sensor, knowing it would be there a while, I found the X Pro 2. The OVF is important to me which was why that camera was a logical choice. I also liked that I could use Leica glass on it. I discovered though that I actually preferred using Fuji glass on the Fuji camera. The X100 series of course also offer the OVF and so the X pro, and X100 would be my choice. I eventually sold the X Pro 2, but if I were to have one camera and that was it, I could be happy, as it is very nicely designed camera, makes nice pictures and feels great to use.

David

I accept the admonishment, (and would even furnish an icon but there isn't one in the toolbar with bended knee!) nothing replaces an X Pro 2! I did however pick up an X100V last year that I will have with me this weekend....it needs exercise almost as much as I do. :angel:

AI would say the Xt-4 is a better choice as the EVF is superior on the XT line [...] I do have to say that IBIS is nice to have.

I agree these are the only two things that I miss on my x-pro3. An X-Pro3s / X-E4pro that lacked an OVF but instead had a state-of-the-art EVF + IBIS would be a great camera.

X-pro3 for 23/35/50 users. X-T for super wide or tele.
Both styles are excellent cameras. I'm a 23 guy so x-pro for me.

I choose the X-Pro 1 - which I replaced with a X-Pro 2 - because I can use this camera just as I used my Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder film camera.

After a small investment in time I set the camera up with a minimalistic set of menu parameters to emulate an optical rangefinder. This includes:
  • the OVF finder
  • focus and recompose using a single, centered focus region
  • manual selection of shutter time and lens aperture
  • five ISO setting scenarios
    1. ISO 200 for bright light
    2. ISO 800 for low light
    3. three auto ISO settings
      • 200-636 for bright light
      • 800-3,200 for low light
      • 4,000-8,000 for extreme low light
  • only prime lenses
The ISO settings are used with raw files. I usually just use one of the first two scenarios. I don't review images in-camera (see below). Unlike the Zeiss Ikon, I often use x auto bracket aperture using 0, +1/3 and -1/3 stops. I keep the file with the best exposure and delete the others. In vey low light AF performance is somewhat less reliable. So I use the second or third auto-ISO setting. When image review is important I use first first suit-ISO scenario.

I almost always use the AF system manually. I use a small centered focus region for the desired focus object and recompose. This can be done using a rear body Fn button or a shutter half press. This focus system works very well and outperforms the X-Pro 1 and X-T1 I owned by a wide margin. Occasionally I will use a small focus region that is moved in type finder to an off-center focus object. In this case I use the Electronic Rangefinder system with the OVF. A small EVF window pops up and you can visually check focus and change adjust it when needed with the lens collar.

I almost never use the finder in EVF mode.

Back