XPro or XT?? Tell us why you decided one or the other

after months of shooting through a Leica IIIf, I find the evf of the X-T2 rather refreshing, (I know they are incomparable).

That looks amazing... but how do you change any of the settings, bar shutter speed and aperture? Are you just locked on Auto ISO forever?

Fn button controls the ISO. I am shooting raw and there isn't much else needed to control, that's the beauty of the Fuji cameras..

I could still connect the buttons with a cable that could come out from the the usb/hdmi port.

In an updated design, I reincorporated the buttons but trimmed them down to the minimum size. So now I can still use the right side buttons but they are not that visible and can't accidentally push them. Maybe I should give an update on that old thread.

Eight or ten years ago I went to my local camera store (which has since closed) to buy my first interchangeable lens digital camera. To my great disappointment, the offerings from Canon and Nikon consisted of big, heavy bodies to which you could attach big, heavy lenses, so they were a no-go. Instead, I inclined to Fuji because their bodies and lenses were small and light, and had physical knobs and rings to change shutter, aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation just like my film cameras. I narrowed the choice down to the XPro1 and the XE2. I was sort of leaning toward the XPro1 because it had an optical viewfinder. Unfortunately, when using the OVF, most of the lenses intruded into the viewfinder, and so for most of the lenses I was going to be using the EVF. Why pay for the OVF if you are going to be using the EVF. So I went with the XE2. It was also smaller and less expensive. A few years later I bought an XT2 and kept the XE2 as a backup. Of course, as any Leica user will tell you, you get used to having the lens intrude into the viewfinder, and you really don't need to know what is in the lower right-hand corner of the viewfinder when framing a shot anyway, At the time I had been shooting SLRs for 40 or so years, and I had this thing about the sanctity of the uncluttered viewfinder, so I wasn't buying it. I have been happy with the XE2 and the XT2. I am sure that passing on the XPro1 cost me a show at the MOMA, but sometimes that is just the way life goes.

... I am sure that passing on the XPro1 cost me a show at the MOMA, but sometimes that is just the way life goes.

Me too!! In my case, I gave up the 'dream' of an MOMA moment of fame if not fortune after scanning a few thousand old color negatives I took in SEAsia in the 1980s and 1990s. Mostly converted to black-and-white images as I made the mistake of having my films processed in Jakarta at the time and I suspect they shorted me on the stabilising rinse, so never ever again (fading and major color shifts) which made me realise the inadequacies of any 'art' fantasies I had.

Life sure can suck at times, but so it goes - we live and we learn. On the Fuji front at home, I am having na enjoyable time taking lovely panoramas of pretty Aussie bush landscapes with my XT2 - my partner has just lucked into a one-owner as new XE2 which will be coming home this week, so we are fast turning into a Fuji family - I will probably be kissing goodbye to my 18-55 (or buying another one) and our cats have been put on warning to expect to be models for a lot of at-home candid shoots, mostly leisurely composed images of snoozing felines...

Eight or ten years ago I went to my local camera store (which has since closed) to buy my first interchangeable lens digital camera. To my great disappointment, the offerings from Canon and Nikon consisted of big, heavy bodies to which you could attach big, heavy lenses, so they were a no-go. Instead, I inclined to Fuji because their bodies and lenses were small and light, and had physical knobs and rings to change shutter, aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation just like my film cameras. I narrowed the choice down to the XPro1 and the XE2. I was sort of leaning toward the XPro1 because it had an optical viewfinder. Unfortunately, when using the OVF, most of the lenses intruded into the viewfinder, and so for most of the lenses I was going to be using the EVF. Why pay for the OVF if you are going to be using the EVF. So I went with the XE2. It was also smaller and less expensive. A few years later I bought an XT2 and kept the XE2 as a backup. Of course, as any Leica user will tell you, you get used to having the lens intrude into the viewfinder, and you really don't need to know what is in the lower right-hand corner of the viewfinder when framing a shot anyway, At the time I had been shooting SLRs for 40 or so years, and I had this thing about the sanctity of the uncluttered viewfinder, so I wasn't buying it. I have been happy with the XE2 and the XT2. I am sure that passing on the XPro1 cost me a show at the MOMA, but sometimes that is just the way life goes.

Ah, now i know why i do not have a MoMA show either and it is because I was dumb enough to buy the X-Pro and use the EVF!

Ah, now i know why i do not have a MoMA show either and it is because I was dumb enough to buy the X-Pro and use the EVF!

I got so much blowback here the first time I mentioned I didn't buy the XPro1 because the lenses intruded in the viewfinder, I have to say stuff like that as a sort of preemptive strike.

The funny thing is Leica users usually go on and on about how being able to see outside the framelines is such a big deal. I mention I'd like to see inside the framelines and it's as if I shot their dog or something.

my introduction to Fuji was an original X100 bought used from a friend. Its rangefinderesque design was appealing, the ability to set it for black and white, the fixed lens, durability - everything about it was perfect for my needs. Still, I wanted the ability to switch lenses, so I added an X-Pro 2 to my kit, still enjoying the RF styling. I picked up several lenses for it, then decided to pick up an X-T 2 as a backup body with a 10-24 lens. The X100 is such an excellent choice for me I ended up getting an X100F when they came out, and now have my eye on the X100V when they become available. All these Fujis have different capabilities - in my mind, at least - for my varying projects, and am quite satisfied with them, but there is something about a Leica that has been causing G.A.S. in me for quite some time, so recently I added a new Monochrom Q2M to my bag. For me, the ideal fixed lens camera - full frame, fixed lens, minimalist design, dedicated to black and white only. It rounds out my kit, is the perfect companion piece to the Fujis - in my opinion.

An X-T series dangling from the neck makes the user look like a retired dentist.
X-Pro series makes the user look like Robert Capa. ;)

My annoyance with buttons/screen led me to get rid of them long time ago.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/node/157609/page2

Yow! I’ve heard of sex-change operations before, but that’s a species-change. Impressive.

Talk about viewfinder intrusion - try Fuji’s petal hood on their XF 23/1.4 - hah!

Even so, 90% of the time I use the OVF. Also, I don’t want the clutter and distraction of the extra “corrected focus square” in the viewfinder, so when I need more focus precision or accurate framing on subjects closer than six feet, I switch to the EVF.

Yow! I’ve heard of sex-change operations before, but that’s a species-change. Impressive.

Talk about viewfinder intrusion - try Fuji’s petal hood on their XF 23/1.4 - hah!

Even so, 90% of the time I use the OVF. Also, I don’t want the clutter and distraction of the extra “corrected focus square” in the viewfinder, so when I need more focus precision or accurate framing on subjects closer than six feet, I switch to the EVF.

As long as The Decisive Moment shots are more than six feet away you should be okay.

An X-T series dangling from the neck makes the user look like a retired dentist.
X-Pro series makes the user look like Robert Capa. ;)

I choose to believe it makes me look like what I am, a retired architect. Grid lines in the EVF and all...

A friendly warning to be careful what you post. I suspect you are safe, as most dentists go about either with Leica or Hasselblad's, but just in case, if you get a strange parcel in the mail, be sure to soak it in a bucket of water before you open it. And let's all hope it's not a kitten a maiden aunt sent you from her most recent litter.

Yep, also the OVF in the high magnification settings covers perfectly the 25mm that I use with that camera. No need for frame lines..

As long as The Decisive Moment shots are more than six feet away you should be okay.

That's where the snapshot skopar that has "clicks" for different distances helps..

A passing thought - or to throw a new spanner into the works...

Does anyone here prefer the XE above the XT or the Pro?? I have two friends who use XE2s and say they are the best ever.

I've never used an XE, but I've seen posted images and they look exceptionally good, given the size of the XEs and all.

Your thoughts, please.

A passing thought - or to throw a new spanner into the works...

Does anyone here prefer the XE above the XT or the Pro?? I have two friends who use XE2s and say they are the best ever.

I've never used an XE, but I've seen posted images and they look exceptionally good, given the size of the XEs and all.

Your thoughts, please.

The X-E series are perfectly fine, but they are lower end models. People like the X-E2 over the newer X-E models because it had a lot of customizable buttons and the 4 way controller. However, it is a bit outdated these day, but perfectly usable. The higher end models are nicer in almost every way, but some people prefer the lower end models still. Most probably due to size.

Back