Yashica electro 35 GSN light leak situation

ratm22

Local time
3:24 PM
Recently I acquired Electro 35 GSN in very good condition with electronic in working order (pictures came out with good exposure).

Single thing I have to do with body was changing light seals. I thought I made a good job just until I developed the film. Every photo is having a small light leak mark always on the same spot-upper left (see photos below).

med_U76655I1574718333.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U76655I1574718332.SEQ.0.jpg

Could you guys help me out figuring from where is this light coming from?
Is it leaking through counter reset latch?

med_U76655I1574718982.SEQ.0.jpg

Because the evidence appears at the upper left, look for the leak at the lower right, diagonally opposite.

You'll want to check the bottom edge of the film door towards the take-up side. Could have a little bend in it, or the seal is not correct in that area.

But it depends on whether the leak is from the front or back of the film. Check the negatives to see if the leak strikes the sprocket holes. If it does, then it's from the film door. If it doesn't, then it's coming from the front somewhere. There is a foam gasket that fits over the rewind shaft that can cause problems.

Another clue is the color of the leak (and this is particular to color film). With a red cast, it would be coming from the back of the film, shining through the anti-halation layer with just enough strength to affect the red emulsion layer. Since it is blueish, it should then be coming from the front.

PF

Thanks for replying guys.

Check the negatives to see if the leak strikes the sprocket holes. If it does, then it's from the film door. If it doesn't, then it's coming from the front somewhere.
PF

Sprocket holes on negs are OK, so I was guessing it was from something on front as you said.
In room dark enough with flashlight lightning through lens I checked possible leaks from the front, but I didn't find any (I was looking very carefully, there was leak only when I snapped the shutter :p).

But I can't seem to find any leak signs looking on negatives. Maybe it's not so noticeable because they are not so heavy, or it's the scanner in photo shop that was making those marks.
I tried some random android app for negative scanning and still no sign of leaks on negs (black dots in video are from light source). See below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqw2h9Mx8A

I was looking at those two photos:
med_U76655I1574892391.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U76655I1574892392.SEQ.1.jpg

Solution to eliminate doubts is I guess try to scan negs somewhere else or, with friendly approach, try to explain the problem in photo shop which scanned the negs in first place :)

I picked up a GSN for $10 a year ago. Similar light leak which I think is the seal near the take up spool. They’re old cameras - seals dry out and crumble.

I say look one more time at the sprocket holes on the film.

Here's my test sequence for this:
- Load new roll, advance film to first position
- Shoot off four blanks in a very dark room.
- Leave camera out in bright light for a couple of days
- Now, without advancing, shoot one exposure of known subject; this will show what film was behind shutter during test
- Immediately four more blanks in dark area

Develop film and look at negative.
Here's more on this and an example.

Back