Yashica Minister 700 issues

moggi1964

Established
Local time
8:12 PM
Good afternoon,

I recently acquired the above camera in very good cosmetic condition but it has a few issues. I'll start with the two most basic:

Releasing the rear door: Despite pushing the button to the '0' and then pressing it in the back refuses to open. I don't feel any resistance when I push the button in and am wondering if the mechanism has become disconnected. Anyone had this issue on Minister D models before and if so were you able to resolve it?

Battery compartment: Feels like it has been welded closed! Any suggestions on what fluids I might use to try to help release it?

The lens on this model looks stunning and I can't wait to start shooting with it. It might be that it needs a CLA but if I can resolve some of the basic issues that would be a start.

Thanks.

M

Some images:

Attachments

• 2020100520201005_14314605.jpg
    2020100520201005_14314605.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_14321306.jpg
    2020100520201005_14321306.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_14304903.jpg
    2020100520201005_14304903.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
And a few more:

Attachments

• 2020100520201005_14311804.jpg
    2020100520201005_14311804.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_14291701.jpg
    2020100520201005_14291701.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_14300702.jpg
    2020100520201005_14300702.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
The best way forward is to unscrew the bottom plate. Once this out you will have a clear overview as to what might be wrong.

Good afternoon,

Battery compartment: Feels like it has been welded closed! Any suggestions on what fluids I might use to try to help release it?

What Pan said above.

Be prepared to find an old battery that has leaked. If that is the case some corrosion is to be expected.

Good luck

Joao

Sounds like a good place to start. I'm guessing some white vinegar might then be the order of the day depending on what I find. I'll post results of course.

Thank you both.

As thought, there's a lovely little battery in there that has seen better days. Is it safe for me to soak the entire plate in vinegar for a few minutes or should I just try drops on the offending area?

Also, I managed to open the back but haven't quite figured out how the connection to the pin works. I can see the parts but the mechanism for opening evades me (that's not unusual). Looks like new seals are needed too.

Finally, I now tried the shutter button and whilst it 'fires' it doesn't activate the shutter and there is no resistance in the button (or click) when you press it down. The winder does then wind on to the next frame though.

I'm sensing a major overhaul coming :(

Attachments

• 2020100520201005_16530706.jpg
    2020100520201005_16530706.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_16502903.jpg
    2020100520201005_16502903.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020100520201005_16515405.jpg
    2020100520201005_16515405.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
As thought, there's a lovely little battery in there that has seen better days. Is it safe for me to soak the entire plate in vinegar for a few minutes or should I just try drops on the offending area?
Finally, I now tried the shutter button and whilst it 'fires' it doesn't activate the shutter and there is no resistance in the button (or click) when you press it down. The winder does then wind on to the next frame though.
(

I suggest to let a few drops of Ronsonol on the groove between the battery cover (both sides) and the bottom plate. Let it act for some time and repeat. Try then to rotate the batteru cover holding it from both sides (not easy, I know). I had sucessfully unscrewed a battery cover in a couple of times using this method. But I did not succeed the last time I tried (a Pentax Spotmatic).

The shutter button does not activate the shutter - does it happen when the bottom plate in in place ??

I may not be of much help as I am not familiar with the mechanics of the Yashica Minister (I had a different Minister model several years ago) . Their optics are excellent !

Regards

Joao

I suggest to let a few drops of Ronsonol on the groove between the battery cover (both sides) and the bottom plate. Let it act for some time and repeat. Try then to rotate the batteru cover holding it from both sides (not easy, I know). I had sucessfully unscrewed a battery cover in a couple of times using this method. But I did not succeed the last time I tried (a Pentax Spotmatic).

The shutter button does not activate the shutter - does it happen when the bottom plate in in place ??

I may not be of much help as I am not familiar with the mechanics of the Yashica Minister (I had a different Minister model several years ago) . Their optics are excellent !

Regards

Joao

Thank you for your assistance so far.

The button does not activate the shutter when the bottom plate is in place but I can confirm the winder mechanism operates as expected (the film advancing mechanism works). I would be less surprised if the button clicked but the shutter didn't open as all the older shutters seem to gum up at some point.

The button does go all the way down when pressed so maybe something has come apart in the mechanism.

I'll try the Ronsonol option and see how I get on. Thanks for the suggestion.

I dont think i can help you with my suggestions but these are simple mechanical cameras so i doubt that they can't be repaired. You can ask some repair person for a quote (Miles Whitehead is the one i have had good experience with).

I dont think i can help you with my suggestions but these are simple mechanical cameras so i doubt that they can't be repaired. You can ask some repair person for a quote (Miles Whitehead is the one i have had good experience with).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.

One thing you sort of realize when you’re “camera collecting” is that there is a point when it’s simply easier and more efficient to just buy a better one. That’s why desks have bottom drawers....it’s nothing to be ashamed of, and while a crafty soul with the right tools can usually sort out basic cleaning and mechanical issues, bad electrics are another matter. Then, as with the OPs camera, there are issues on several fronts, possibly parts being required. •••• by some strange thought process, a camera sold on eBay as “parts non working” sometimes brings in enough to cover the cost of a Working replacement! I suppose Most buyers see a pretty picture and think a tap here and there will make it work great again. Then, they see the corrosion and bad shutter and seals....and then the cycle repeats as They sell it forward. Advice... sell camera as parts non working (no returns) and clean the case nice and sell that separate.

One thing you sort of realize when you’re “camera collecting” is that there is a point when it’s simply easier and more efficient to just buy a better one. That’s why desks have bottom drawers....it’s nothing to be ashamed of, and while a crafty soul with the right tools can usually sort out basic cleaning and mechanical issues, bad electrics are another matter. Then, as with the OPs camera, there are issues on several fronts, possibly parts being required. •••• by some strange thought process, a camera sold on eBay as “parts non working” sometimes brings in enough to cover the cost of a Working replacement! I suppose Most buyers see a pretty picture and think a tap here and there will make it work great again. Then, they see the corrosion and bad shutter and seals....and then the cycle repeats as They sell it forward. Advice... sell camera as parts non working (no returns) and clean the case nice and sell that separate.

I appreciate the advice and I have done what you suggest on a few cameras and other items over the years. I'm inclined to see if I can get this one up and working as the 700 was released in relatively small numbers. If necessary I'll track down a parts Minister D if I do need replacement parts given they are basically the same camera.

I did the same with a TEAC magnafloat turntable where there are really very few still in operation. The one I had developed an issue so I bought a non-working one to use for parts and it ended up I got them both working in the end :D

At some point of course it doesn't make sense to throw money at it so a repair quote is free and may be the next option for the 700.

Sounds like your shutter is stuck, most likely from helical lubricant migrating to where it shouldn't be. The whole camera needs a good CLA, and replacement of the light seals. You'll have to check the wires from the battery well also to make sure they aren't corroded. You'll have a lot of little parts lying around while doing the CLA, so make sure it's a secure area where no child or animal will disturb the work.

The Yashica rangefinders were top notch cameras, so Good Luck!

PF

Sounds like your shutter is stuck, most likely from helical lubricant migrating to where it shouldn't be. The whole camera needs a good CLA, and replacement of the light seals. You'll have to check the wires from the battery well also to make sure they aren't corroded. You'll have a lot of little parts lying around while doing the CLA, so make sure it's a secure area where no child or animal will disturb the work.

The Yashica rangefinders were top notch cameras, so Good Luck!

PF

Thank you for the detailed direction.

Just picked up a Minister D for £25 on ebay that will give me a template to work to as well as a source of parts should they be needed. I'll need to get some foam for the seals still.

Thanks for everyone's helpful input, I will of course keep the thread updated over the coming weeks.

Quick update:
The Minister D hasn't arrived yet but I did manage to free the shutter blades with the judicious use of Ronsonol. I was able to check the aperture responded when changed and there was a clear difference between the stutter speeds when they were changed. Can't say how accurate they were of course in the 125/250/500 settings but the slower settings seemed right. Bulb works too.

No amount of soaking of the battery cover will get it free but given the battery only drains when the metering button is pressed (assuming the metering actually works of course) then I should have to change it often. Removing two screws to do so is not the end of the world.

Anyway, I have decided I will get the chap who has just tidied up my Belmira to give the 700 a once over and get everything working that can work. It'll go off to him in a couple of weeks with the D to accompany it as a source of spare parts or possibly for a CLA if it doesn't have to be used. Let's see what needs doing on that one.

I'll provide an update as and when.

Update: Seems there is internal corrosion damage on the shutter mechanism and the parts aren't interchangeable between the 700 and the Minister D.

The Minister D also has some internal corrosion though I don't have the report yet. Seems I haven't had much luck with these purchases. Oh well, I didn't spend a lot thankfully.

I'll keep the 700 and see if another turns up at some point so maybe I can salvage a working one. I'm just so taken with saving it!!

The Minister 700 is currently with Newton Ellis being sorted out; I just couldn't not get it fixed. I told them I'm not in any rush as I have a few other cameras to run some film through but I can't wait to get it back.

I'll update of course.

Back