Yashica Minister II: No Shutter Speed Coupling

Russell W. Barnes

Well-known
Local time
2:50 PM
Hello all,

I bought a case for my Yashica Minister II and it came with a 'free' Minister II that isn't working. Irrspective of whichever shutter speed is selected, it only works on one, and the shutter was also sticking. I thought I'd try to get it working.

I removed the LVS ring by turning the half-head screw and removing the brass locking ring around the lens aperture, and it appears that all speeds work: when I turn the exposed shutter top plate I can cock the shutter and fire it and rotate the top plate through all the speed settings. I gave the whole shutter a good soak in naphtha and all now free. I shall put a drop of thin lubricant on bearing points before re-assembly.

It appears there is no mechanical coupling between the speed adjustment ring and the shutter top plate, and it looks like a pin may have broken off. The broken pin (if that's what I think it is) aligns with a radial slot in the back of the shutter speed ring and at one point of the radial slot, there is a hole.

Am I correct in thinking the broken pin should connect the shutter top plate with this hole so that when the shutter speed ring is rotated the shutter top plate will rotate too?

I appreciate this would be easier to describe with photographs. All assistance appreciated!
--

Kind Regds,

R.

I araldited a new pin (part of a small nail) into the plate.

John - thanks for that: might be a plan 'B' if the bolt doesn't work. I've just had my vernier guessing-stick on it and I reckon it needs to protrude from the shutter speed plate by 9mm to mate with the hole in the bottom of the front radial slot. Does 9mm sound about right?

John - thanks for that: might be a plan 'B' if the bolt doesn't work. I've just had my vernier guessing-stick on it and I reckon it needs to protrude from the shutter speed plate by 9mm to mate with the hole in the bottom of the front radial slot. Does 9mm sound about right?

I don't remember - it was long ago, and I didn't keep any notes!

I just came across this post whilst browsing and it reminded me that I had a Yashica M given four or five years ago. Somepne had taken the top plate off and mangled the lightmeter needle assembly and the lens rings need a pipe wrench to move them but the shutter works ok at all speeds. Thanks to PF's link I may try to ease the rings but I suspect the lightmeter needle is totally kaput.

Back