Your Visual Memories... the Ones You hold dear

Kathy

I shot this in 1977 in Miami Beach. We had just had a really bad fight and she was seriously thinking about leaving me. I would not have blamed her. I was fighting terrible demons in my head back then. I was trying to smooth things over when I grabbed my Nikon F2 and begged her to pose for me. This was the result.

I owe her everything. She literally saved my life. We are still together.

p65016171-5.jpg

Kathy

I shot this in 1977 in Miami Beach. We had just had a really bad fight and she was seriously thinking about leaving me. I would not have blamed her. I was fighting terrible demons in my head back then. I was trying to smooth things over when I grabbed my Nikon F2 and begged her to pose for me. This was the result.

I owe her everything. She literally saved my life. We are still together.

Great shot and story!

https://flic.kr/p/WT8PJX

rats. ok, i got the link correct. no one has the time to mess with multiple clicks. again, sorry, helen. i will figure out delete. it has been a few years.

No worries, Paul, here you go:

isla
by paulfish3006, on Flickr

In your Flickr page, you can click on the curved arrow on the right (between star and download), select BBCode, and then just copy and paste that code here to the forum. I usually select the Large (683x1024) image size.

Jim, we have some similar Kodachrome photos taken on a big hill in Ann Arbor, late 50s early 60s. Your pic brings back great memories!

Same area, generally. This is on Hines Drive, probably in what is now Canton. Every winter we'd spend hours there on our toboggans and sleds.

Jim B.

First Assignment by Narsuitus, on Flickr

My first assignment as a newspaper photographer was to shoot the grand opening of an Ethan Allen furniture store. I could not capture the image I wanted because at that time, I only had a 200mm telephoto lens and a 50mm normal lens. A chaperone mirror helped me get the wide-angle subject coverage I needed.

I was pleased that my city editor was pleased with my image.

There has been a lot happening the last few years in my family and extended family, but scanning negatives during Covid (a project I finally found time to embark on), I came across some images of a friend (Brad T) that really evoked a lot of memories. We were friends in the mid-70s. Both our dads were high school teachers, and occasionally we just ended up in each others company. This day he just showed up at our house on a day when my dad handed me an Olympus Pen F, and said go out and try this out (unfortunately it was not for me or him, but a donation to the school). The day started out well for him, but he had some health issues, and we wandered all over the place on foot, and he started getting a little perturbed.

BradT by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

BradT Walking by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Eye See You by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

We ended up in our back yard, he eventually rested and got more stable. Then he said, let me take a picture of you.

BradT Reclining by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

me 1974ish by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Brad got into theater and teaching in NY and Massachusets, as well as some foray into film. He married and had a son. (I discovered all this on the internet after scanning the pictures). I lost touch with him at around 15 years old, but he did have an effect on me in terms of thinking artistically. He died pretty young about 10 years ago. I heard about it through my parents and was saddened, but only really gave it more thought when I rediscovered the negatives and scanned them, and basically relived some of that day. The effect of the pictures and the memories really saddened me more, but also made me glad I had those pictures. I uploaded the happy picture on one of his obituary pages 10 years later.

Here is an album for some of what we did that day: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPmdsWN

Photography can sometimes help and be therapy in tough times. In the late 1990s I went through a tough divorce. I was looking at some contact sheets of things I was photographing and started to realize I was capturing what I was feeling. Anyway I credit the work for helping me get me through it.

I put a small personal book together. I printed small approx 4 X 6 inch images on ektalure paper. This wasn't a great period of life for me in many ways but photograph helped get me through it all and helped me realize some of my demons I needed to face. Here are just a few from the book.

170711903.jpg

170711901.jpg

170711909.jpg

170711904.jpg

170711911.jpg

170711906.jpg

170711907.jpg

170711908.jpg

170711902.jpg

170711912.jpg

170711905.jpg

170711910.jpg

Thanks Sam.

The work did get me through a rough patch and caused me to take a hard look at how I was living and treating others.

Back