Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM photos

Leica All Day

Mentor
Local time
4:28 PM
The title says it all, feel free to post some photos if you have or used this lens.

Bangkok, Chinatown , Yaowarat
26235514145_235109979c_b.jpg

Bangkok by

Bangkok

Patrik and Burny by

Bangkok, shot on Ilford XP2

Honey seller in Bangkok by

Bangkok
26055265000_26e8397320_b.jpg

Nakhon Pathom by

cheers, michael

I love these images. Thanks.

Does the ZM 35/1.4 have the same optical design as the SLR Distagon 35/1.4 for the Rollei 35mm system?

not sure if the OOF areas are as Smoooooth as your CV 35 1.2
though I do LOVE what I see with the Zeiss ;)

Perhaps the Zeiss has more crisp , more 3d pop especially in the isolated hi focused areas... Beautiful

What are your Thoughts Michael ?

Hi Helen, I think it has more 3d pop than my old 35mm 1.2 and it has a warmer tone to it, and from my understanding this is common with Zeiss glass.

I haven't had a new lens in about 8 years, so I thought I would change things up a little.

I love these images. Thanks.

Does the ZM 35/1.4 have the same optical design as the SLR Distagon 35/1.4 for the Rollei 35mm system?

Thanks a lot Raid, I have no idea about the optical design of this lens or of the SLR Distagon 35/1.4, I am sure some knowledgeable people here will be able to answer that question.

cheers, michael

The SLR Distagon may have different coatings, and it does not have that "pop" that we see in modern Zeiss lenses. I chose the Biogon 35/2 as I don't encounter often dark scenes that require a 1.4 lens.

The SLR Distagon may have different coatings, and it does not have that "pop" that we see in modern Zeiss lenses. I chose the Biogon 35/2 as I don't encounter often dark scenes that require a 1.4 lens.

I totally understand that Raid, I sort of 'need' the 1.4 because I only shoot film and I mainly shoot Kodak Pro Image 100 film. Thanks again Raid.

Cheers, michael

This image is striking, Michael. She is about to jump up to prevent you from taking another photo of her.
For me, she is curious and attracted, and maybe in that moment is dreaming of having the freedom she does not have.
I would rather expect her "owner" to be ready to jump, if he was around.

Lovely photos, Michael!

I'll go out on a limb here and say the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 is technically the best 35mm M-mount lens ever made! But its size (for an RF lens) in a market already flooded with alternatives will result in few people ever trying it.

Here's a few from me all taken on Fuji Superia X-TRA 400.

@ f/2

横浜 Yokohama by Jon, on Flickr

@ f/1.4

@ f/1.4

@ f/1.4

Untitled by Jon, on Flickr

@ f/1.4 - not everything has to be sharp ;)

Untitled by Jon, on Flickr

This is where the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 smokes the ZM Biogon 35/2 - coma control.

Distagon @ f/1.4
23711300596_64f3dc6ff7_b.jpg

Biogon @ f/2 (image borrowed from here)
15852291792_6e1fa8d995_b.jpg

Oh well. I would not use "smoking" here. Both lenses are great lenses. My SLR 35/1.4 Distagon has an aspherical element, Does the RF Distagon also have an aspherical element?

In the world of pixel peeking to see minor differences between high end lenses, this is definitely a "smoking" ;)

"The Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM has ten elements in seven groups. Two of the elements have aspheric optical surfaces and three of the elements are made of special glass with anomalous partial dispersion. The Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM shows no noteworthy focus shift due to a floating elements design."

Zeiss used all the tricks in the book for this one.

Back