Havana
49431916853_381d06609c_b.jpg
[/url]Havana, Cuba by

Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba by

Trinidad
Trinidad, Cuba by

cheers, michael

@michael - you've gone through quite a few fast 35s including the Voigtlander 35/1.2 v1 and an older Summilux (I think), and now you're shooting with the Distagon. How do you find the Zeiss compared with the other fast 35s you've used?

@michael - you've gone through quite a few fast 35s including the Voigtlander 35/1.2 v1 and an older Summilux (I think), and now you're shooting with the Distagon. How do you find the Zeiss compared with the other fast 35s you've used?

Hello Archiver,

The 35mm 1.2 is a great lens, some people complain about its size but it never bothered me. The Zeiss Distagon is sharper than the 1.2 and I like the contrast better on the Distagon. I tested a bunch of 35mm Summilux lenses before I got my Zeiss and I decided to get the Zeiss. I absolutely love the Zeiss lens, the build quality is great and I like the look it has. Once again, some may complain about its size, but I have big hands and it feels great to me.

Havana
49452351303_7931ae18c9_b.jpg
[/url]Havana by

Havana
Havana by

cheers, michael

@michael - I tried the Distagon in a shop late last year, and was astonished at how good it felt, and how nice the images are. No glow or fading wide open, just sharp detail in focus and lovely soft bokeh elsewhere. It's almost a bit too contrasty wide open, I'm not used to that.

I have the Voigtlander 35/1.4 v1 and 35/1.2 v1, and while I like them a lot, the Distagon seemed to have much better performance. I don't mind the weight of the f1.2, but prefer the size of the f1.4. The Distagon seems a reasonable size between the two.

So I'm thinking about getting a Distagon, and I have a few options:

- trade in my unused Heliar 50mm collapsible and 75mm LTM and pay some money. I have never used the Heliar 75 since getting the Summarit 75, and I've used the Heliar 50 maybe five times in as many years. Owning that 50 is more about having something relatively uncommon rather than using it. Sigh.

- trade in the 50mm, 75mm, and Nokton 35mm f1.2 and f1.4, making the 35mm Distagon my only 35mm. This option might even mean paying only $400-700 depending on what the dealer offers me. The Noktons are glowy wide open, whereas the Distagon is all sharpness and contrast and no glow.

- don't trade in any lenses and take the full financial hit

- realize that GAS is just the desire for what I don't have, and that sitting on my money is probably a better idea in this post-covid economic climate

But the rendering, contrast and sharpness of the Distagon is amazing, and I don't mind the size and weight at all.

Just thinking aloud. GAS sucks.

Nothing wrong with mixing things up; what seems 'just right' for a time, can change. Recently had a similar quandary when a used 28 Summilux unexpectedly appeared on my radar, still with warranty. Bundled off a 75 APO (whose perfect focus eluded me despite an adjustment), and a 28 Elmarit ASPH (sweet lens but slow). Sold both at no loss. Threw in $900 for the speedy 28. No regrets. When has GAS hurt anyone?

Anyway, life is too short to be shooting 7TTfArtisans.

That ZM 1,4/35 might be one of the greatest M-mount lens of all time. Period.

- trade in the 50mm, 75mm, and Nokton 35mm f1.2 and f1.4, making the 35mm Distagon my only 35mm. This option might even mean paying only $400-700 depending on what the dealer offers me. The Noktons are glowy wide open, whereas the Distagon is all sharpness and contrast and no glow.

Sounds like the wisest (and most economical) of your options.

Nothing wrong with mixing things up. Recently had a similar quandary when a used 28 Summilux unexpectedly was offered up for sale to me, still with warranty. I Bundled a 75 APO I never really loved and a 28 Elmarit ASPH (sweet lens but slow); sold both at no loss and threw in about $900 for the speedy 28. No regrets. When has GAS hurt anyone?

Anyway, life is too short to be shooting 7TTfArtisans.

Get thee behind me, Satan! :D:D:D

Sounds like the wisest (and most economical) of your options.

I've just put the f1.2 Nokton on my M9 and am taking pictures with it around the house. Not sure if it's to justify keeping it, or have a last hurrah... :confused:

On one hand, it's larger and heavier than the Distagon, not easy to focus, and is pretty glowy wide open. On the other hand, it's got character, and the f1.2 f stop and very low t stop means it's great in low light. Not sure what the t stop is like with the Distagon. Hm.

Yet the ‘punch’ of a Zeiss lens is seductive. Clarity, resolution and color that nothing else, not even the mighty 35 Summilux can match.

Yet the ‘punch’ of a Zeiss lens is seductive. Clarity, resolution and color that nothing else, not even the mighty 35 Summilux can match.

The Tempter makes himself known once again! :D I'm having this exact conversation in my head while attempting to get some last minute work done.

I think at the most, I could trade in the Voigtlander 50, 75, and 35/1.2, and keep my 35/1.4 for when I want speed, compactness and character. That lens has given me some really nice images, and as much as people say the rendering of the f1.2 is smoother, I prefer the big soap bubble bokeh and weird imperfections of the f1.4 version.

I agree, that image quality wise that lens is unbeaten in the RF-world of fast 35 lenses. I had it multiple times and absolutely love its images.

Still, I sold it every time and came back multiple times to the Summilux ASPH FLE, because of weight, size and for me most important the ergonomics of the focusing tab. If these damn Zeiss lenses only had tabs instead of the knobs, with wich I never really could conect! It would have saved me thousands of Euros over the years...

But still: if you‘re okay with the Zeiss-ergonomics and size/weight: get that lens! Its beyond incredible.

I agree, that image quality wise that lens is unbeaten in the RF-world of fast 35 lenses. I had it multiple times and absolutely love its images.

Still, I sold it every time and came back multiple times to the Summilux ASPH FLE, because of weight, size and for me most important the ergonomics of the focusing tab. If these damn Zeiss lenses only had tabs instead of the knobs, with wich I never really could conect! It would have saved me thousands of Euros over the years...

But still: if you‘re okay with the Zeiss-ergonomics and size/weight: get that lens! Its beyond incredible.

I've just offered my mint collapsible Heliar 50mm and Color Heliar 75mm LTM to the dealer, and it's shaved over 50% off the price of the Distagon. This lens will be mine just after Christmas. I actually prefer the Zeiss knurled focus ring and bump over Leica's focus tab, so that's a huge plus for me.

Congratulations! The Zeiss 35s (Distagon and Biogon C) are the finest of the line and any serious M shooter ought to have one at some point. Another brilliant Zeiss ZM is the 2,8/25 that never got the attention it merited.

Congratulations! The Zeiss 35s (Distagon and Biogon C) are the finest of the line and any serious M shooter ought to have one at some point. Another brilliant Zeiss ZM is the 2,8/25 that never got the attention it merited.

Thank you! I'm also considering trading in my Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 v1 to further offset the cost of the Distagon. I shot with it the f1.2 at Christmas lunch yesterday, and while it's a good lens and handles nicely, I have issues with how it renders. Am giving a bit of thought to letting it go in favour of the Distagon.

Do you mean the Biogon 28mm f2.8? That was my first M mount lens and I love the way it renders, although my copy has developed serious grinding and scuffing issues with the focus ring. Sooner or later, I'll send it back to Zeiss for repair. Then I can get back to enjoying it.

Only a few more days before I can get my Distagon!

Do you mean the Biogon 28mm f2.8? That was my first M mount lens and I love the way it renders, although my copy has developed serious grinding and scuffing issues with the focus ring. Sooner or later, I'll send it back to Zeiss for repair. Then I can get back to enjoying it.

I think, he really meant the 25mm. While the 28mm is not really a bad lens, its also not stellar in any respect. Mechanical it is one of the weakest Zeiss ZM lenses. It was my first ZM and after it, I thought, I better skip ZM forever. But luckily, I also checked out the 35mm Biogon, the 25mm and finally the Distagon. They all feel like from a different manufacturer compared to the 28mm. They are all incredible lenses.

In fairness, I have to say, I compared the ZM 28mm to Leicas 28mm Elmarit ASPH (11606), which is IMHO the best 28mm ever made - despite being 2,8.

Anyway, the 25mm is a really great lens and the Distagon is from another World. You will surely love its output.

Back