ZEISS IKON BLOG by ZeissFan

Huck Finn

Well-known
Local time
11:20 AM
I have asked our esteemed moderator to put a sticky on this post so that it will automatically show up at the top of the list on the Zeiss Ikon forum. While many of us may know of Mike Elek's Zeiss Ikon blog, our membership is growing all the time. So, for new members - & any oldtimers who aren't aware of it - here is the url for Mike's blog in which he record his continuing journey with the Zeiss Ikon:

http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon

Let me add a "thank you" to Mike for providing this service. "Thank you's" are the only benefit he receives from doing this.

Huck Finn

Last edited:
Go!

Go!

I spent about 20 minutes sampling Mike's blog just now. Whether you have the hope or plan of owning this camera or, like me, can only dream about it, see what
he has done here. This is exemplary work, and I must thank Mike for creating it
and HuckFinn for bringing it to my attention.

Fred

Mike's ZI blog is the best camera blog I have come across. High lighting its presence is a good thing.

I have written a fairly lengthy technical piece to summarize & save the research about the ZI that I have posted from time to time. Mike Elek has graciously agreed to post this on his blog website so that it can have a home. I have called the article "Inside the Zeiss Ikon" & it can be accessed under "Other Comments" on the home page or in "Other Views" on the ZI Blog page. I expect that Mike would welcome contributions from others. The url is http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon.

Thanks to Mazurka for encouraging me to do this. :)

Huck

I'll be perfectly Honest Here......I haven't seen that many photos on that blog that are superb....Shot after shot of Mundane stuff. Start shooting some photos that are Class A. After all....you have a Class A Camera.....Let's see some "great" shots now. Enough with the Mundane.....Anyone else agree?

XXXGRAPENUTSXXX said:
I'll be perfectly Honest Here......I haven't seen that many photos on that blog that are superb....Shot after shot of Mundane stuff. Start shooting some photos that are Class A. After all....you have a Class A Camera.....Let's see some "great" shots now. Enough with the Mundane.....Anyone else agree?
No need to own a Zeiss Ikon to take great photos... and conversely.

Vincent

Relax Buddy Boy

Relax Buddy Boy

grantray said:
What the f#ck kind of comment is that to make?!?

I'm Expressing my honest opinion.....Go take a look at those shots. They are DOF Studies....Sharpness Studies...etc; et al. I'm merrely suggesting some different shots....

Don't get bent out of shape. Why don't you kick back; Light up a Cohiba...sip a whisky and just Chilllll.

hey whatever man. that's why i'm not world-reknown. i never lay claim to being an art photographer -- just shooting what i like

not your cup of tea? that's cool. never met you - never will, so no big deal

Mike, your blog makes me want a ZI, too. And Hucks contribution seems to be what people missed in Erwin Puts review of the ZI.

Grapenuts: I think the point of the blog at this point is that Mike's getting used to the cameras and lenses as gear. And the camera was away for 5 weeks for an adjustment of the rangefinder.

Add to that, Mike has a full-time job as a photo editor, so it's not like the blog is his main activity. He even mentioned recently that his schedule changed, so he has a lot less time during good light to get out and make pictures; it's winter where he lives, ya know.

Some of us are just glad he's thoughtful and meticulous in his review of the camera, and appreciate it.

Enjoy your Cohiba.

Never feed the you-know-what!

Never feed the you-know-what!

You should know by now what they look like. Don't bite, guys! I know you can do it! :p

Many thanks to Huck who has obviously devoted much time and effort over my humble suggestion! :) I haven't the chance to read your monograph but I'm sure it will complement ZeissFan's blog (itself also good work) very well.

Last edited:
Actually, I work as one of several editors for a Web site (www.post-gazette.com). During the day, I generally process photos that go up on the site, rebuild the home page and do a lot of advance work, plus edit work of others.

I create head shots for the head shot library that I created for us and pull down and process wire photos that will run on the weekend.

I probably read and write more in a day than most people do in a month.

I redesigned the home page over the summer: five weeks, no staff, no budget -- just me. I designed our Super Bowl promotions for the home page and Steelers page in one day. I designed the PM Business report in one hour. Little tricks I learn at work are put onto my site. And things I create for my site often are used at work.

I write Word VB macros to streamline my own work. I also use Word's Autotext function extensively. I have Word macros that create HTML tables. I've done countdown timers, <IFRAME> slideshows and a small amount of Javascript work.

I can work circles around most people on this planet, and I know it.

Photography is a hobby and a way to relax. I generally take most of my photos these days on my four-block walk into work from the bus or a 15-20 minute out of office break that I take each day. Not much time for creativity, but it's a nice break and it's my time.

My original plan was to be a news photographer, but I lacked the confidence (and apparently the talent) to do it way back when. So I'm on the news side. But that's fine. I've worked at nine newspapers in three states and three countries. In my life, I've lived in 23 different places (a different place every two years) and have visited 13 countries -- give or take a couple. I've lived a pretty damn good life so far. Didn't make it to Egypt, India aor Thailand, which I really wanted to do. But I still have time.

So one person's comments don't really mean that much in the grand scheme of life. It's a lot like the guy who cuts you off in traffic. You get pissed for a moment, but you won't remember him in 10 minutes, because in your entire life, it was two seconds. There are more important things.

This may be a weird viewpoint, but I'd prefer to read others' experiences and information right here in RFF. I don't really have the time or inclination to read someone's weblog or diary. An informative website is different from a blog, in my view. There are a lot of great reference websites out there, and always room for a few more on interesting topics like the new Z-I.

i wish i could maintain that kind of perspective mike.
i try and am succesfull part of the time but i get impacted too easily sometimes and then react without enough thought instead of respond with more thought.

i have a bit more hope for success after reading how you deal with it.

thanks
joe

Mike Elek....You're a good Man....I'm just trying to say that you should try some other shots.....with your Class A Camera. Make Carl Zeiss Proud.....You've got the talent

you can have a little space on your web site; Call it "Grapenuts" This will be where some of your favorite shots will be located. Your favorite shot out of every roll perhaps.

Back