Zeiss Ikon Problems

Zeiss Ikon Problems

• My Ikon has the "popping" frameline issue.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • My Ikon had the "popping" frameline issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My Ikon had a different issue, but I sent it back and now it works fine. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • My Ikon still/currently has another issue. (please specify in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Ikon has worked great since the day I got it, without problem.

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • My Ikon had Rangefinder Alignment Problems

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • My Ikon had shutter problems

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
I have the problem that a few people mentioned where the film doesn't fully advance in about one frame of every roll. Anyone have luck fixing this? I actually lost 2 images on the last roll that would have been great...

My problem with the Zeiss ZM is the viewfinder, It has some yellowish color at the bottom (see the pic)

It has the most brightest and biggest viewfinder that i appreciated very much except the yellow thing !!!

Has anyone had this problem before ?

Attachments

• DSCN12052.jpg
    DSCN12052.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2
My problem with the Zeiss ZM is the viewfinder, It has some yellowish color at the bottom (see the pic)

It has the most brightest and biggest viewfinder that i appreciated very much except the yellow thing !!!

Has anyone had this problem before ?

Looks like viewfinder separation. I've seen this in Leicas before, and it's possible heat or something else made adhesives that keep the assembly together leak into the visible area a bit and cause staining. Should be possible for a camera tech or Zeiss to fix, especially if it's in warranty.

Now, on to me: I got a nice Used Ikon for a sharp price, but found that the rangefinder is entirely off. Horizontally, it is severely offset at infinity, and the first roll I ran through it definitely showed focus being off when the rangefinder said it should be spot on. I've looked around the Bay Area and made countless visits and calls but nobody here seems to be willing or able to fix it. I'm sending it off to Steve's in LA today... Hope to have it back before the 14th. Fingers crossed.*

* I sent a message to Zeiss, too, who indicated that I could ship it to them and they'd ship it on to Germany or Japan, and the whole process would take 6-8 weeks. :(

My second Ikon had a misaligned rangefinder. Sent to Germany for repair. Came back and immediately the shutter speed dial popped off and springs flew everywhere. I gave up.

My first Ikon worked beautifully.

My second Ikon had a misaligned rangefinder. Sent to Germany for repair. Came back and immediately the shutter speed dial popped off and springs flew everywhere. I gave up.

Er, whoa. What'd you do? Ask them why they sent you a spring-loaded self-detonating replacement? :)

Edit: The Ikon should be with Steve now, though I've yet to hear from them. Fingers crossed.

A slight exaggeration methinks... there's just one spring under the shutter speed dial ;)

The same thing happened to me while travelling in Sicily a few years back. I reassembled it in about five minutes and used a tooth pick to tighten the single screw that holds everything in place, and it hasn't given me any trouble since. Anyone somewhat mechanically minded should be able to reassemble it IMO. I then ate an ice cream and enjoyed the rest of my day in Taormina.

I have the problem that a few people mentioned where the film doesn't fully advance in about one frame of every roll. Anyone have luck fixing this? I actually lost 2 images on the last roll that would have been great...

You're accidentally pressing the rewind button on the base of the camera. If you're halfway through a roll and accidentally press it, the film won't advance far enough for the next frame. Happened to me many times. After being puzzled for a while, I eventually noticed that with the way I held the camera my pinkie finger sat right on the rewind button sometimes. I solved the problem by using a Zeiss grip on my camera. The base of the grip protects the rewind button from my pinkie finger accidentally pressing it.

does the zeiss Ikon still fire its shutter even without battery?

was thinking of "jumping" to the ZI family.:) I really like the design of this camera, absolutely proportion.

does the zeiss Ikon still fire its shutter even without battery?

was thinking of "jumping" to the ZI family.:) I really like the design of this camera, absolutely proportion.
It does not... this is an electronic camera.

However, the viewfinder is better than any Leica I've handled. Including M9...

It does not... this is an electronic camera.

However, the viewfinder is better than any Leica I've handled. Including M9...

+1 on that viewfinder.

As for the electronic shutter, I carry the small 3V battery in the bottom of my little Tylenol tube with a dab of cotton over the top. I put a few tylenol on top and I am all prepared for my little emergencies. :)

Actually, on my birthday, my present to myself is to swap out all the camera batteries to new ones. Since I started this I haven't had one problem with batteries.

I am considering a ZM. With the stop in production, what is the outlook for serviceability?

They seem quite reliable, but everything ages!

Thanks!

A slight exaggeration methinks... there's just one spring under the shutter speed dial ;)

The same thing happened to me while travelling in Sicily a few years back. I reassembled it in about five minutes and used a tooth pick to tighten the single screw that holds everything in place, and it hasn't given me any trouble since. Anyone somewhat mechanically minded should be able to reassemble it IMO. I then ate an ice cream and enjoyed the rest of my day in Taormina.

Something similar to this happened while using my ZI today. When trying to adjust the ISO value by pulling up the shutter speed dial, I noticed that the top-most disc with the shutter speeds was loose and rotates freely over the rest of the dial.

I see two small holes in the center fastener that look they are meant for adjusting/tightening the dial and the disc on top. The problem I see is getting the shutter speed disc properly aligned with the rest of the dial so that the shutter speeds are correctly selected. Any ideas?

Something similar to this happened while using my ZI today. When trying to adjust the ISO value by pulling up the shutter speed dial, I noticed that the top-most disc with the shutter speeds was loose and rotates freely over the rest of the dial.

I see two small holes in the center fastener that look they are meant for adjusting/tightening the dial and the disc on top. The problem I see is getting the shutter speed disc properly aligned with the rest of the dial so that the shutter speeds are correctly selected. Any ideas?
Adjust the dial to bulb. When you find it, line up the indicator disc appropriately then tighten.
I don't have a ZI but this sounds like a problem I've encountered on other cameras then fixed this way.

Phil Forrest

Adjust the dial to bulb. When you find it, line up the indicator disc appropriately then tighten.
I don't have a ZI but this sounds like a problem I've encountered on other cameras then fixed this way.

Phil Forrest

Thanks Phil. I had some difficulty getting the disc to lie flat and tightening it down. Fortunately, a local repair shop nearby took care of it in about 20 minutes while I waited. Apparently there are a number of parts that have to be aligned to get things working properly. Wish I had taken some photos of the process!

Hello all,

Now after 10 since I bought it new, my most cherished camera, ZI, gave up on me totally unexpected. Having advanced the shutter mid-roll, I could not fire it anymore. The batteries are OK, the negative pole contact, too (the battery cap does close the circuit). It doesn't seem to be the problem with incomplete advancing (it happened to me once, but managed to unjam it), rather there is some electricity supply interruption somewhere inside. Does anyone have knowledge/experience where I could send it for repair in Europe, Anno Domini 2019? Oberkochen? Elsewhere?

Cheers,
Pirx

Hello all,

Now after 10 since I bought it new, my most cherished camera, ZI, gave up on me totally unexpected. Having advanced the shutter midroll, I could not fire it anymore. The batteries are OK, the negative pole contact, too (the battery cap does close the circuit). It doesnt seem to be the problem with incomplete advancing (it happened to me once, but managed to unjam it), rather there is some electricity supply interruption somewhere inside. Does anyone have knowledge/experience where I could send it for repair in Europe, Anno Domini 2019? Oberkochen? Elsewhere?

Cheers,
Pirx

Oberkochen will do. They'll end up sending it to Cosina but the job will be done.

Exposure measurement 1 stop short?

Exposure measurement 1 stop short?

Hi forum,

it's been some time since I have last visited and I am not sure how active this section still is... but I will give it a try, hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I have "rediscovered" my trusty ZM recently. Just to make sure everything works fine before shooting away, I compared the exposure metering with the results of my Fuji X-Pro 1. With the same ISO and f-stop settings the ZM will always measure one stop less (e.g., 1/500 from the ZM, 1/250 from the Fuji).

The batteries seem to be fine, at least according to my battery tester and the camera is also not complaining about low battery.

Any ideas? I am now going with the values of the Fuji as I can directly see how the picture is turning out and I am trusting it more, especially in tricky lighting situations. When I get the film developed, I will see how that worked out. But I would like to understand what is happening here so I can rely on the Zeiss alone.

Cowboy,
I assume aperture is set the same in addition to Iso and shutter speed, and that you are using the same lens for these two cameras when checking the metering.

With the ZI camera, I've found that the metering indicator on the left side can go up or down a stop with even a small change in the field of view within a high contrast scene.
I've also seen such metering differences between other cameras, so I check each with my sekonic meter to pick up major inconsistencies.

Back