Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder alignment - cost and time?

Tzelet

-
Local time
7:10 PM
Does anyone know how much it would cost, and how long it would take to have Zeiss repair a rangefinder disalignment? Mine is out at infinity, and I'm trying to find out if it is worth having it fixed.

If it must be Zeiss, I don't know, but any competent range finder repairer can do this. I had the Classic Camera in London do it, was just fine.

This was the information I was given last summer:

The alignment of the Zeiss Ikon viewfinder must be done at the factory in Japan and the average cost is approximately $125. If you are interested in this service, complete the attached form and ship with your camera to our address below. Upon receipt, we will forward to the factory on your behalf. It generally takes 2-3 weeks to prepare the service estimate and another 3-4 weeks to complete the repair upon your approval.

Send to:
Carl Zeiss, LLC
Attn: Steven Travis
One Zeiss Drive
Thornwood, NY 10594
USA

Sincerely,
Richard Schleuning

Thank you all :) I got a reply from Zeiss in Germany as well, and they quoted 100 Euros. So, now to decide if I should send it in, or sell it as is....

To conclude this, Zeiss returned the camera today. Cost was 95 Euros plus shipping (around 115 Euros total). It took exactly two weeks from they received it until I had it back in my hands.

That concurs with my experience with Zeiss, very good service indeed. I splashed mine with salt water, and the on/off switch went very stiff. Zeiss fixed for free, not a single complaint from me.

Oh I wish my country have an official Zeiss representative. My ZM is also out at infinity, since shipping to Germany or Japan is expensive (not to mention risky) from where I'm living. I guess I just have to live with it. Nevertheless I never take a picture where I missfocused because of the camera.

I searched and couldn't find much of an answer, so...has anyone in the US sent their camera to a person/center/shop in the US for rangefinder alignment and calibration? I'm just wondering if there is a solid, trusted alternative to sending overseas........or, if it's all moot, as it's just another RF camera that can be aligned at Essex or any other place that regularly services RF's. Any experience sending your ZI out for a tune-up in the US?

I bumped my ZM a while back and now the rangefinder's off again. So I'll have to send it in again for the second time in two years. Is this normal?

I bumped my ZM a while back and now the rangefinder's off again. So I'll have to send it in again for the second time in two years. Is this normal?

I would say twice in two years is unlucky, but I suppose it depends how hard you knocked it, and how badly the range finder is out. If it's just a hair out at infinity, and it's not affecting your images, I'd leave it alone.

I would concur. Zeiss Germany service is excellent. They recently replaced a stuck power switch on mine (silver, early limited - possibly salt water related) and aligned the RF whilstvthey had it. Total cost e134 and turned round in two weeks.

Mike.

Back