ZI Viewfinder window cracked.

Rangefinder 35

Well-known
Local time
7:21 PM
Does anybody know where I can get my ZI's front viewfinder window replaced? I found it mysteriously cracked, even though I haven't taken it down from its shelf lately. I tried local camera clinic, but they work only on cheap cameras. Thanks for help.

Try Popflash in Los Angeles. They are authorized Zeiss dealer and should know who can service it. It is a Cosina made finder so it might have to go back to Japan for service though.

Thanks for advice. I called Popflash in LA, and they said that they don't deal with repairs. I tried my local camera clinic and the guy just decline the repair. I finally sent the ZI to their US service center in NY State. Haven't got reply from them yet.

Do keep us updated. It will be interesting to see if Zeiss offer after sales servicing for accessories. Most companies do not.

Cheers,

CQ doesn't like the zeiss ikon for some reason. they used to have a page on the zeiss ZM lenses and ZM ikon but they took it down.

CQ doesn't like the zeiss ikon for some reason. they used to have a page on the zeiss ZM lenses and ZM ikon but they took it down.

I think CQ was for a short period very early on (2007?) a Zeiss Ikon ZM dealer, and then suddenly they weren't. I recall reading somewhere (most likely here) that the change wasn't voluntary.

So I sent ZI to a service center upstate NY. For 6 weeks no reply. Finally I sent them email asking to acknowledge that they had received my camera. No reply, but about a week later I got a package by UPS with my ZI inside. The rangefinder window still cracked... I'm gonna try somebody else.

No reply, but about a week later I got a package by UPS with my ZI inside. The rangefinder window still cracked... I'm gonna try somebody else.

Now you know what really rude and abrupt is. :)

Seriously -- did you do the following?

You may also choose to carefully pack your lens and send it to one of the Zeiss Service addresses shown below along with a completed repair form. Please note that we can only accept requests accompanied by a correctly completed repair form:

Americas
Carl Zeiss SBE, LLC
Attn: Camera Lens Division, Service
One Zeiss Drive
Thornwood, NY 10594
USA

Thornwood is not really upstate, it is about a 50 minute ride by Metro-North, from midtown, stop at Pleasantville.

That is very odd. every time I have contacted them they have been very quick to respond. The last time I was in contact with New York they were still servicing the camera though they may forward it to Germany for the repair.

I have always contacted them at 1-800-543-1033.

I would second Don Goldberg. I don't know if he works on Zeiss RFers. He did work on my M7 though. If you need it quickly, and don't mind asking to be put in front of other repairs, mention it in a note when you send it in. Call him first and see if he works on the Ikon.

That is very odd. every time I have contacted them they have been very quick to respond. The last time I was in contact with New York they were still servicing the camera though they may forward it to Germany for the repair.

I have always contacted them at 1-800-543-1033.

I have tried to call that number. After a couple redirected calls I finally got on some person's answering machine. They'll call me back. Except I don't have a phone...

Last edited:
Once the camera top cover has been removed, it should be easy to replace the cracked window by a piece of glass coming from a specialized shop dealing microscope glass sheets for biology labs. The cracked window is probably nothing more than a flat sheet of thin glass, either hold in place by a metallic frame and a few screws (like on the Nikon rangefinders) or glued on the hidden side of the camera topcover (Leica M manner).

Of course there is the question of the viewfinder coating but it's on the prism itself not on the outer protective window, in general.

Any competent camera repairman located in a city large enough so that he can get some microscope glass sheets and custom cut them himself using a small diamond pick glass cutter should be able to fix your camera.

I have tried to call that number. After a couple redirected calls I finally got on some person's answering machine. They'll call me back. Except I don't have a phone...

The number is changed, but I spoke to someone at 800 633 6610, very nice, they are not doing all repairs at the Thornwood location, but they will respond if you leave a message.

Also you can ship -- with the online form filled out.

Not sure how you can get a phone call, if you have no phone, perhaps a friend can take the info for you?

Back