1/500th on Retina

JSteed#2

Established
Local time
3:04 PM
My gorgeous Retina (Rodenstock) works perfectly except at 1/500, when the shutter does not open. I read that there is a separate 1/500 spring. Is this something i can fix myself? Any instructions on opening the beauty up?
Thanks

Is this a synchro compur or compur rapid shutter? Compur rapid has a boost spring for 1/500 which need move to 1/500 before cock/charge the shutter. If it is synchro compur, may need CLA to bring it back to work condition.

I wouldn’t even mess with it if it were my camera. I have never seen a leaf shutter even get closet to the marked top speed. Usually the 1/500 is around 1/300-1/350 at best. Copal shutters are just as bad.

I wouldn’t even mess with it if it were my camera. I have never seen a leaf shutter even get closet to the marked top speed. Usually the 1/500 is around 1/300-1/350 at best. Copal shutters are just as bad.
Although that's within half a stop, which is fine for negative film generally.

Unfortunately Chris Sherlock has retired and now only does cameras for fun, though you may find what you want on his website or YouTube channel.

Paul Barden (Corvallis, Oregon) works on certain Retinas. Not sure which model you have?

Last edited:
Paul Barden (Corvallis, Oregon) works on certain Retinas. Not sure which model you have?

Paul is also the person Chris recommended when he retired.

Before we go any further down this road, are you sure the shutter actually does not open? Lens at full aperture, camera back open with the lens facing a window and peer through it as the shutter fires? You should see a flicker of light. Also of course the obligatory shutter noises.

The reason why I am asking is that if the shutter spring is in good nick they can get 1/350 to 1/400th (although what speed you exactly get varies shot by shot - a Nikon F2 this isn't) which can - especially in dim light - look as if the blades are not moving at all when in fact it is firing.

Edit: There should be also a notable increase in resistance both in the speed dial when setting 1/500th and when charging the shutter. If the booster spring were absent or weak you should - from my understanding working with these shutters - just get the next lowest speed again unless something is seriously fouling up.

Before we go any further down this road, are you sure the shutter actually does not open? Lens at full aperture, camera back open with the lens facing a window and peer through it as the shutter fires? You should see a flicker of light. Also of course the obligatory shutter noises.
Good point, I've been got by this myself a couple of times. Yes, absolutely check as TenEleven says if you haven't already. 1/500th is pushing the human eye's ability to spot it moving.

Back