Camera advise for US travel

Thanks Vince, good advice! I will bring my own film, not planning to purchase anything while traveling. Yes, a lot of ground to cover, but this will be three weeks, so I hope we will manage somehow :)
I don't know if you are taking shorter flights here in the US, but flying domestically here you should have no trouble requesting hand checks for film. With the proliferation of the stronger CT scanners, I'd be more worried about carrying film on the flight from Europe, as I'm not sure whether the security agents at your outbound airport would accommodate hand checking film.

I don't know if you are taking shorter flights here in the US, but flying domestically here you should have no trouble requesting hand checks for film. With the proliferation of the stronger CT scanners, I'd be more worried about carrying film on the flight from Europe, as I'm not sure whether the security agents at your outbound airport would accommodate hand checking film.
No flights in US. I fly direct from Helsinki, they indeed use CT, but they always allow a hand inspection - I did that before.

I would humbly suggest that Vince Lupo gave your some very good advice… he’s traveled all over New Mexico w/ a pretty minimal kit.
I surely bear that in mind. Still, there is a wish to have both color and BW, therefore the hesitance.

I somehow always end up happier with what I produce when I bring one camera and use what I have, rather than trying to have a kit that prepares me for anything. The limited equipment constrains what I'm looking for and I seem to do a better job seeing within that constraint.

I'd probably opt for 35 and 50 mm (or equivalent) focal lengths, just one type of film, and a digital compact camera as a backup, and for everything not covered by the film cameras.

In a couple of weeks we will be visiting US. We will arrive to and depart from Dallas, will rent a car and will visit some places in Texas, Luisiana, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado (mostly focusing on nature, avoiding big cities, maybe except of Houston). I want to avoid taking too many cameras, yet I still don’t want to make too much compromises in terms of quality. I plan to fit everything into one medium size backpack. I am film only shooter, so it’s all about film gear. I surely plan to take at least one MF (Fuji GA645). I am a bit hesitant regarding the Rolleiflex. Now I am struggling a bit regarding 35mm. A couple of pocketable cameras (Minolta TC1, ContaxT) are no brainers. But then I am hesitant if I should take M system (I have lenses in 15, 35, 50, 90mm focal lengths) RF, or OM SLR (lenses in 21, 35(PC), 50, 85mm). The reason for many cameras is that I usually shoot BW, color negative and slides. Any thoughts?
hmm. When I was only shooting film (because it was the only thing available ... yeah, I'm old), on a long trip like that I might once carry my Nikon with a typical four to five lens kit (from the 21, 35, 50, 85, 135, 200 lenses I had) and practice changing films mid-roll so that I could use different films as the whim took me. I might also take a compact (Rollei 35 or Minox 35), and/or a MF camera. In later years, when most of my long trips were by motorcycle, I'd carry just one camera (Nikon FM or Leica M) and two lenses for lack of space. Even later in the film era, I'd just carry the Rollei 35S and/or a Minox B or C submini.

Once the digital era was upon us, I was well in tune with carrying one camera and two/three lenses (wide, normal, short tele or some subset) as the entire kit. One trip I also carried a Polaroid, another trip I carried my iPhone and the Polaroid, another the iPhone and a 6x6 folder, etc.

As time has gone on, I've carried less and less and done what feels to me to be more and more satisfying photography. Because, to my mind, what makes the difference is removing distractions and options, leaving just what your vision is and what you come across in your travels to focus on. But I'm moving into a philosophy of photography there, and that's really up to you to meditate on and decide for yourself. ;)

I'd say, one medium size backpack with a GA645 + 10 rolls of film, an M with two/three lenses and 20 rolls of film, a Contax T ... is going to be one very full backpack. A Rolleiflex MX or 3.5F isn't so much heavier but it is pretty bulky to carry, will take up a lot of space. So I'd say ... pull out your backpack and start trials by seeing what fits and what it weighs. That will determine the physical limits of what you can carry that way. THEN, knowing that, think carefully on just what photography you want to do, and how much of it needs what films, what lenses, what formats... and soon you'll have your personal answer to this question.

I think sometime soon I'm going to do an entire trip with an iPhone, a Polaroid SX-70, a dozen packs of film, tripod, tele lens, flash, self timer, filters ... That already just about fills my medium backpack.

polaroid_kit.jpg

It will be fun. ;)

G

So I'd say ... pull out your backpack and start trials by seeing what fits and what it weighs. That will determine the physical limits of what you can carry that way. THEN, knowing that, think carefully on just what photography you want to do, and how much of it needs what films, what lenses, what formats... and soon you'll have your personal answer to this question.
I would do that in the reverse order, focusing first on what photography you want to do, and, based on that, choosing what equipment you will need to do it. You may find you can do with a smaller backpack.

Last edited:
hmm. When I was only shooting film (because it was the only thing available ... yeah, I'm old), on a long trip like that I might once carry my Nikon with a typical four to five lens kit (from the 21, 35, 50, 85, 135, 200 lenses I had) and practice changing films mid-roll so that I could use different films as the whim took me. I might also take a compact (Rollei 35 or Minox 35), and/or a MF camera. In later years, when most of my long trips were by motorcycle, I'd carry just one camera (Nikon FM or Leica M) and two lenses for lack of space. Even later in the film era, I'd just carry the Rollei 35S and/or a Minox B or C submini.

Once the digital era was upon us, I was well in tune with carrying one camera and two/three lenses (wide, normal, short tele or some subset) as the entire kit. One trip I also carried a Polaroid, another trip I carried my iPhone and the Polaroid, another the iPhone and a 6x6 folder, etc.

As time has gone on, I've carried less and less and done what feels to me to be more and more satisfying photography. Because, to my mind, what makes the difference is removing distractions and options, leaving just what your vision is and what you come across in your travels to focus on. But I'm moving into a philosophy of photography there, and that's really up to you to meditate on and decide for yourself. ;)

I'd say, one medium size backpack with a GA645 + 10 rolls of film, an M with two/three lenses and 20 rolls of film, a Contax T ... is going to be one very full backpack. A Rolleiflex MX or 3.5F isn't so much heavier but it is pretty bulky to carry, will take up a lot of space. So I'd say ... pull out your backpack and start trials by seeing what fits and what it weighs. That will determine the physical limits of what you can carry that way. THEN, knowing that, think carefully on just what photography you want to do, and how much of it needs what films, what lenses, what formats... and soon you'll have your personal answer to this question.

I think sometime soon I'm going to do an entire trip with an iPhone, a Polaroid SX-70, a dozen packs of film, tripod, tele lens, flash, self timer, filters ... That already just about fills my medium backpack.

View attachment 4822868

It will be fun. ;)

G
Oh, sounds cool :). I plan to have something similar, but with Fuji FP100 pack film. But that is next time, some place in Europe…

I would take what you shoot with at home. Don't make it too complicated. In my experience, having already internalized how to use the equipment I'm using means I can spend more processing power exploring the new place and paying attention to my subjects and less processing power knowing where to stand and fiddling with an unfamiliar camera and lens.

I will say that places in the USA tend to be pretty spread out compared to Europe, so *maybe* bring the OM with 21, 50 and 85 so you have a telephoto? But if you can get good pictures where you live now with compacts with moderate-wide angle lenses, you can get good pictures with them in the US.

Last edited:
Bring what you're comfortable with both in it's use and weight and volume. Too much stuff is just as bad as not having the right thing.

Leaving camera equipment in cars in the US is not a good idea, no matter where you are. It's just asking for trouble if you do. Even if it's in the trunk.

Your biggest issue may not be equipment. Carrying film on a plane is getting more complex all the time. If you hand your film in a large bag to TSA insist that it gets hand checked. If TSA asks tell them it is ISO 800 and higher or they will insist on running it thru the scanner. Sounds like you have experience traveling with film so this is just a reminder.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

I would do that in the reverse order, focusing first on what photography you want to do, and, based on that, choosing what equipment you will need to do it. You may find you can do with a smaller backpack.
I said to do this second mostly because we all generally know what kind of photography we want to do a priori ... so there's usually little need to articulate that specifically before sizing what gear you can comfortably carry. Once you know about what gear fits the carry solution, then you can become more specific about which of the stuff you can fit does what kind of work best, and winnow it all down from there.

I forgot to mention the other rule of thumb I usually apply to packing: I lay out everything that will fit, and that I think I want/must have/need. And then I remove at least two things from that. My justification for this step: until you get down to "one camera, one lens, ten rolls of film", I have found I *always* have at least one or two things that I carry for a whole trip and never use. ;)

G

It’s unfortunate that your medium format camera doesn’t have interchangeable film backs - that would allow you to have many types of film with one camera.

If it were me with that choice of equipment, I‘d supplement the Fuji 645 with a 35mm SLR - whichever one you feel works best for you and whatever choice of lens focal lengths you feel work best for you.

Just my opinion, but bringing more than two cameras and more than two lenses per camera becomes an unenjoyable hassle for a personal vacation.

On my trips I travel light: a main camera (35mm SLR or rangefinder - maybe a 6x6 folder) and a small 35mm compact camera like an XA2. I never take extra lenses. I use only one type of film.

The least you bring, the better! It's a long trip! I look back at my past (long) and feel sad I usually was packed down.
Today I use small digital cameras, my phone (most important). A Rollei sounds nice but although, my main camera in studio, very hard to use in OPEN! If you love your Leica, 35 or 50mm and a 90/135mm.Small bag! NB. I left a camera behind in a last trip! My daughter downloaded the card and voila, my images in a zip file!

Thanks all for your inputs so far. I agree that "the less is more" very often, but the reason I am planning to take compacts is to have family snapshots. I usually do this during any travel - documenting the mood, taking pictures when we are walking or in the restaurants. It's my "mobile phone type of camera". When I look back at my archive I am really happy I have been doing this. Contax T and Minolta TC1 are so tiny I don't even count them as cameras. MF and RF/SLR is where I have some doubts. But I can probably take Zeiss folder instead of Rollei to save the space/weight and still have MF for both BW and color. And can probably do with one FR/SLR camera with short tele (and maybe wide)...

But I can probably take Zeiss folder instead of Rollei to save the space/weight and still have MF for both BW and color...
For several years not long ago I travelled with my Zeiss Nettar 515/16 and was happy that it is so compact and easy to use. I enjoy it.

One thing to be aware of is what apertures your folder’s lens is best at. I love to use f/5.6 and f/8 with whatever lens I have, but with the Nettar, the lens was soft until about f/11 or f/16. This meant I had to use super high speed film (ASA 400) to avoid slow shutter speeds at those apertures - even in daylight!

WAY TOO MUCH STUFF.

You just aren't going to be able to shoot three types of film and two formats while dealing with your family.

As someone who has spent an enormous amount of time roadtripping out West I'd advise you to keep it simple, especially since there are other people involved. If you are going to shoot 35mm for your family snaps then maybe stick with just that. Point and shoot with the Olympus. Leave the medium format at home. Or just take the point and shoot and the medium format and skip the Olympus. If you do take the Olympus then I'd recommend having a telephoto zoom. The West is a biiiiiiiiig place.

Decide what you want to do then go from there. You can't do it all.

Frankly if it is a family trip then there is an excellent case to be made for just one camera. Enjoy your family.

when I travel I take just a smaller camera and a couple of lenses (unless traveling with photography enthusiasts). I otherwise worry that these hobbies cause strain on the event itself.

I used to travel a lot carrying a ton of gear. My advise is to carry as little as possible to cover the subjects that interest you. For me that would be a couple of DSLR bodies and 24 (or 21 or 25 or 28) , 35 and 50 lenses. Substitute "SLR" or "rangefinder" for "DSLR" is that suits you more.

Back