Canon LTM Canon 35mm f/1.4 ?

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Peter, thanks for such informative and helpful inputs ! I'm looking forward to your book.

%750 is not that outrageous of a price, the starting bid for some 1.5s on eBay right now is around $500.

I missed to save the auction pictures, but they were quite bad and small as far as I remeber.
To me, it makes sence if CANON experimented with a 35/1.4, like Nikon did. As sensible as the 35/1.5 is for backlite, they did right to slow it down a bit, IMHO. 1/3 f-stop more can have make it worse. As visible with the 50/0.95 CANON high speed lenses had big front elements to catch enough light for the outer picture zones, to be fully usable with color film. Leica had the opposite philosophy which made it a bit easier in lens design, because mad outer light rays just spoil the whole picture, resulting in ghostings and lower contrast. But cutting the outer light rays off results in heavy lite falloff wide open, and this exactly is the behavior of the pre-asph. Summilux.
Just compare the front elements of the Canon 35/1.5 and the Summilux 35/1.4.

Well, after reading this I went and looked again in the prototypes section of Peter's book and was surprised to see no mention of this lens. I wonder if he decided it just wasn't real, or couldn't track down the buyer, or what.

The Canon 35mm f/1.4 LTM lens exist.

I suppose prototypes like these are usually experimental lenses in the final stages of production testing. There are usually 2 problems that prevent it from going into full production; cost or performance. As such, only collectors can be bothered with these type of irregularities. Most of us would already be very happy with the Canon 35mm f/1.5 LTM already, which is incidentally getting quite pricey lately.

Cheers,

How funny to see this thread again and my own replies (guest :ROFLMAO: ) in it as well... yes, things have changed, indeed, over the past 17+ years.

Back