Minolta LTM Chiyoko 50/2 Super Rokkor

Minolta M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

brobbins

Established
Local time
3:38 PM
I just acquired a Chiyoko 50/2 ltm Super Rokkor. My first roll of film shot with it suggests that the lens is quite sharp and has relatively high contrast for a lens of its age, though I did notice some flare. Has anyone had experience with this type of lens? Could you tell me anything about its reputation? Also, I would be interested in knowing if there is a hood for the lens, and what the filter size is.

Thanks.

Chiyoko (or Chiyoda Kogaku, later Minolta) made 2 versions of this lens. The first has a 40.5mm filter ring and stops down to f16, and the second has a 43mm ring and stops down to f22. The 2 versions appear optically the same, based on weight, sizes of the elements, and the images they produce. I do not know why they changed filter size, but perhaps it was to match the filter size on the Super Rokkor 50/2 for the Minolta Super A (same glass). There are Minolta-made screw-in and clamp-on hoods that fit these lenses.

This lens' reputation is basically absent, probably because there were not very many made and it is not found very often today. That won't stop me from rendering my opinion, however, that the Super Rokkor 50/2 is an outstanding lens overall -- plenty sharp and contrasty as you have noted -- and as good as any f1.8-2 lens of the era. I have not encountered any flare problems, although I always use a hood and have not purposely "challenged" the lens in flare-prone situations. The later Super Rokkor 50/1.8 (in LTM and Super A mount) is even better, but harder to find.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
Super Rokkor

Super Rokkor

In Jason Schneider's book two, He discusses this lens.

He thinks it is a Summicron copy and further states that in testing done by Modern Photography, shows it to be a excellent lens

Rolleinut

In Jason Schneider's book two, He discusses this lens.

He thinks it is a Summicron copy and further states that in testing done by Modern Photography, shows it to be a excellent lens

Rolleinut
Yes, I remember reading that -- if I recall correctly, he liked the performance of the lens. Regarding its design, from old Minolta literature I've read, I think that its optical design more like a Summitar than a Summicron, but not a direct copy.

Cheers,

David

Back