Crist
Local time
3:58 PM
Hi I recently bought sonnar 5cm LTM but hard to see is or not fake
please can you help me

8723579231_36926365bd.jpg

8723579281_7d86c0168b.jpg

Thanks a lots

Your lens should be a pre-war lens, true Zeiss if the serial number is correct. That means:

Small 'm' for meters, not a capital 'M'.
Two screws above each other in the wider knurled ring, a bigger and a smaller one.
A black line as an aperture indicator, NOT a red dot.

To be absolutely sure, you need to perform a check on the inside of the lens that sounds scary but really isn't.
Grip the base of the lens with one hand and the front with the other, and unscrew the optical block from the focus mount. The rear element shouls have a number stamped into it, which should correspond with the number on the front of the lens.
If it's not matching but stamped: lens is made up from two Zeiss lenses. If it's not matching and a number is scratched in, it's a Russian fake.

By the looks of it your lens might be uncoated and if the rear element is uncoated too it's at least made from all Zeiss parts, the Russians never made these lenses uncoated.

Nice lens anyway, love how they look on Barnacks! Happy shooting!

I had been watching this camera , the number series is perhaps too early for those listed as Leica screwmount in Zeiss records . The seller had indicated it had the small m on the focus scale which is like original .
I think it is genuine Zeiss optical unit mounted immediately post war in Zeiss factory under Russian occupation .
I have tried to stop buying lenses - this one was about to change that .
And a iiic sharkskin with it .
Glad that you have purchased it .

That's a 1945/46 Russian Occupation era Zeiss lens, postwar build with WW2 era parts......

Congrats on the find, it should shoot very very well.

Tom

according Marc james

the serial
number, that belongs properly to a Contax
rangefinder bayonet-mount (CRFBM) 2.8/3.5cm
Biogon from 1938

may be is fake!!

Thanks Marc

This lens is a real one, in 1945 Zeiss had blocks of numbers of lenses never used so they just put together whatever was on the table at the time, your lens almost looks like one of those nortorous "Leica Sonnar's" that a bunch of enterprising Russian NCO's decided to build from spare Zeiss parts, ether way, your lens is postwar build at the time the Russian Army Techs were running the factory.

The Zeiss lenses were #1 Black Market material in July/August 1945, so the Russian Military forces in charge of the plant were putting lenses together faster then they were doing them even before the war, because the demand from the US Army personnel living and working in the Western Zone for Zeiss lenses in M39 and Contax mount far exceeded the amount of lenses they even had left so by 1947 all the WW2 era stamped parts were gone so then the Russian parts got build together with the Zeiss parts and thus the Jupiter 3 and 8 was formed.....I hope that tidbit of info helps out.

I think the Russian Army stuff, according to production numbers is far far less than the wartime Zeiss production, making them actually rarer than the so called "real" CZJ lenses.

You should have a fine lens there, please feel free to post some pics here of it's performance, :D

Enjoy!

Tom

Back