Tanack LTM Fake Tanack Leica copy, made from Fed 1

Tanack M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Yes, ansd visibly the seller doesn't know it's a copy.
If not, he woulld not have shown the inside of the camera which denotes a Fed 1f, for sure...

Yes, ansd visibly the seller doesn't know it's a copy.
If not, he woulld not have shown the inside of the camera which denotes a Fed 1f, for sure...

That is what can happen to these forgeries. They exchange hands so many times that eventually they get to naive sellers that know very little on what they are selling and think it must be worth a fortune and thats it, with little or no research done on their part to verify the validity and soundness of their asking price.

Actually by looking at the seller's other items and what he buys and high asking prices, I kind of doubt now that he is all that naive on what that fake Tanack really is.

well, the listing says "Tanack-Camera-w-Tanaka-Kogaku-50-2-8-Tanar-Leica-Russian-Copy" so odds are that he know its a copy and he/she is letting the buyers know it.

well, the listing says "Tanack-Camera-w-Tanaka-Kogaku-50-2-8-Tanar-Leica-Russian-Copy" so odds are that he know its a copy and he/she is letting the buyers know it.

His Ebay ad did not say it was a Russian copy yesterday.

He verily stated it was a very early Tanack model

The savvy ebay seller must read the RFF forum (probably a member here) and now is back tracking to cover his a$$ once the jig is up.

Indeed, he changed the title recently!

Indeed, he changed the title recently!

Sep-08-16 08:59:50 PDT
Sale Start
Buy It Now Price

Sep-15-16 14:08:12 PDT
Sale End
Title
Description
Buy It Now Price

Looking at the photos of the camera, its kind of interesting. Is it possible the RF cover itself is from a Tanack and put on a Fed to make the fake? The RF cover just seems to have a different shape to me, and the top seems just slightly bowed. And it looks like it partly covers the "B" of the rewind lever on the top plate.

One thing for sure. That poor camera has been opened up by a hack. The damage to the screws around the lens flange is awful. The cam follower is bent way out.

I've don't think I've seen the terms "opened" and "closed" on a baseplate before.

Overall, very funny offered at $699 :eek:what?

He is probably a member !

Most likely a forum member, or an RFF member sent him a query or question on validity of said model and he shrewdly modified his Ebay ad.

He would be more believable if he lowered the price accordingly or better yet pulled the ad, as it does him a dis-service. He does not seem to be a fly by night type from seeing what he sells.

Probably Ebay got notified or someone asked him to change the listing title. Ive done so in the past with seller and listings that have misleading descriptions.

Probably Ebay got notified or someone asked him to change the listing title. Ive done so in the past with seller and listings that have misleading descriptions.

Again as I mentioned above, for his reputation's sake he should have lowered the price, (less than the going price of an unmolested Fed 1 IMO :D) or best of all, remove the ad totally. Those FSU mangled camera fakes do more harm than good to bonafide Ebay sellers.

Again as I mentioned above, for his reputation's sake he should have lowered the price, (less than the going price of an unmolested Fed 1 IMO :D) or best of all, remove the ad totally. Those FSU mangled camera fakes do more harm than good to bonafide Ebay sellers.

Totally agree about that.

Looking at the photos of the camera, its kind of interesting. Is it possible the RF cover itself is from a Tanack and put on a Fed to make the fake? The RF cover just seems to have a different shape to me, and the top seems just slightly bowed. And it looks like it partly covers the "B" of the rewind lever on the top plate.

One thing for sure. That poor camera has been opened up by a hack. The damage to the screws around the lens flange is awful. The cam follower is bent way out.

I've don't think I've seen the terms "opened" and "closed" on a baseplate before.

Overall, very funny offered at $699 :eek:what?

I don't think that the top cover is from a real Tanack Leica copy as the forgery has the top VF frame line flush with the horizontal top edge, typical of a Fed 1 or Zorki 1 camera model. I suspect that the fakers re-stamp the original FSU top, as I seen these as fakes labled as Leotax, Reid, and even as a Shanghai, but no Nicca or Tower yet, but I am sure they exist also.

People are getting wise to fake Leicas so the scammers go for the rarer Leica copies, which is odd, as serious collectors know their models inside out and these people would be their obvious market and yet these sellers price them higher than the real thing.

So we are looking at a fake copy of a copy of a Leica. Selling for the price of a Leica. No good.

Selling for more than the price of a Leica.

Some Leica copies are much rarer than most Leicas.

A Leotax G for instance, sold only 500 examples in 1960/61( the SLR was the in thing by then) and it was the last of a long line of Leotax cameras based on the Leica.

The Leotax G looked like a cross between a Leica M3 and a bit like a Nikon SP. Leotax went bankrupt slightly before the 500 were sold and this last model was assembled from factory made parts by several contractors on behalf of the foreclosing bank.

I only ever saw one Leotax G in person in 1989, and it was in rough shape, neat camera none the less.

That is a crazy thing! I would not mind owning a SD, V3, or VP Tanack, just because they are not direct Leica copies, and have a great rangefinder.

I have never noticed a fake Japanese camera from the FSU.

The Leotax G is indeed interesting, but to me looks more Yashica, not as nice as the Nicca IIIL. I always wanted a IIIL but never found a mint one.

That is a crazy thing! I would not mind owning a SD, V3, or VP Tanack, just because they are not direct Leica copies, and have a great rangefinder.

I have never noticed a fake Japanese camera from the FSU.

The Leotax G is indeed interesting, but to me looks more Yashica, not as nice as the Nicca IIIL. I always wanted a IIIL but never found a mint one.

And most Tanacks were easier to load film in than any Barnack Leica, although Tanack build quality was not up to the other Japanese Leica copy makers, Leotax in particular.

I did find the re-badged Yashica version of the Nicca IIIL many many years after Yashica bought out Nicca in the late 1950s.

In 1988 I was offered a very newish looking Yashica YF with the original Yashica 50mm f1.8 lens in LTM, all in the original box with instruction manual for the princely sum of 100 CDN... and I foolishly turned the offer down.:eek: Live and learn.

And most Tanacks were easier to load film in than any Barnack Leica, although Tanack build quality was not up to the other Japanese Leica copy makers, Leotax in particular.

I did find the re-badged Yashica version of the Nicca IIIL many many years after Yashica bought out Nicca in the late 1950s.

In 1988 I was offered a very newish looking Yashica YF with the original Yashica 50mm f1.8 lens in LTM, all in the original box with instruction manual for the princely sum of 100 CDN... and I foolishly turned the offer down.:eek: Live and learn.

Yeah, that YF would be going for about $800USD or more now. Saw a beat up one the seller wanted $400 for it. Going to get mine overhauled someday before Mark decides to quit.

PF

Yeah, that YF would be going for about $800USD or more now. Saw a beat up one the seller wanted $400 for it. Going to get mine overhauled someday before Mark decides to quit.

PF

A super minty one like that example I stupidly turned down in the original box with the original lens and instruction manual ( it was what is now called N.O.S) would easily sell for over 1200 usd, if you could find one.

Back