Focus Tab for Zeiss Distagon (and other Zeiss ZM?)

DIY in Metal: Focus Tab for Zeiss Distagon

DIY in Metal: Focus Tab for Zeiss Distagon

Hello,

as promised and requested, here are some shot of my result so far.
Higher res images (and a few more) also available here.

The dark gray material is Alumide which was laser sintered with a 3D printer. Feels like slightly rough pure aluminium, same cold feeling as the pure metal. I paid just around 5€ for the print-service. You can see in the pictures, that I still have to remove a few spots of remains of the glue, but this can only be seen close up. (Still, it bothers me... :rolleyes: )

I chose the rough finish to have more grip, but there also had been several options for polishing or colored coatings. But I like it this way, and has a nice contrast to the lighter gray of the lens barrel.

I tested the setup before with my self-printed black painted plastic version and already loved it. Now with this even better feeling of the metal version, it feels like a different lens to me. I tested it now for a few days and its so much more pleasing to use and I now can focus really quick with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210822-11-30-40.jpg
    20210822-11-30-40.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210822-11-28-19.jpg
    20210822-11-28-19.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 4
Well done, loojs great. My main issue with the Zeiss handing wise, is the centre of mass is towards the front ot the lens. The VM 35mm f1.2 handlea better IMHO because of this. Only have the 28mm VM ultron (now the II version) with a tab. I get on with both tab and bump.

Well done, loojs great. My main issue with the Zeiss handing wise, is the centre of mass is towards the front ot the lens. The VM 35mm f1.2 handlea better IMHO because of this. Only have the 28mm VM ultron (now the II version) with a tab. I get on with both tab and bump.

The two new Ultrons (28/35) with tab are a joy to use. I have them both. Really great lenses, image quality and ergonomics. The 1.2 also has no Tab, thats why I never tried it, although according to what people say, it seems to be a very good lens.

But without tab, I just don't like using a lens, it doesn't "bond"... :rolleyes:

That's why I did this whole thing. Now that I know, that it works so good, I can try other lenses also, that I always somehow wanted, but did never actually get because of a missing tab.

@krötenblender: do you have any recommendation as to what metal would be best for this tab? Choices from a local printer include stainless steel, copper, aluminium, tungsten, scalmalloy and inconel 718.

Thanks.

Did you made one also? Would love to see yours.

UPDATE. I finally got around to 3d printing krötenblender's focus tab and a few other bits and bobs. I attached the tab with glue. It works really well and has improved the handling a lot. Also the 3d printed thumb rests also improves the handling. I also printed an M10 case for fun. The material used for printing was PETG in all cases. The cost was about £1 each for the tabs and thumb rest, £6 for the Leica M10 case. 20240128_150710.jpg

Attachments

• 20240128_150819sm.jpg
    20240128_150819sm.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 6
Back