fuji 645 folder repairs

dozuki

Local time
1:29 PM
I have a fuji 645 folder i got on ebay and i love it, but it needs some love. Does anyone know where I can send it to have it overhauled. I took it to mexico and the pics weren't all that i had hoped. There was sun flare or something wrong so I need someone to give it a good going over.

Thanks for the help.

Chances are you need a bellows replaced- small streaks on some images?

Frank Marshman at Camera Wiz is a great one to work on these. He gave mine a bellows and a once over. Not always the fastest repair, but FLAWLESS work.

1-800-471-8133

I think he is one of Fuji's reccommended folks, but I had known him from doing work on some View Camera shutters for me.

Best of luck, I bought one of these new in the 1980's, the most unreliable camera I ever owned in 50+ years of photography. The bellows on mine fell to bits after a few years, and the linkage between the wind on and shutter cocking is very weak and badly engineered. (Not my words, but those of a well known repairman in UK)
I could not recommend the camera for hard usage, Fuji soon discontinued it!!
Sadly the lens is very good, and when it was working it took good shots.

I never had any trouble with mine after Frank worked his magic on it. Wound on fine even working with it in extreme cold. (ten to fifteen below zero F) Shutter and meter were both spot on. My 645zi was a little less reliable, seemed less well made, but was just as fun to shoot with. Enjoy your 645 dozuki!

More information here.
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/fujirf.htm
P.S. unless you have or can find the correct snap-on lens hood, you cannot use filters, as they screw inside the front of the hood (40.5mm) and you need very slim fingers to do this.
There is also a weird close up kit for the camera, consisting of a special rangefinder which fits the accessory shoe and uses two powers of close up lenses which again fit the lens hood.

Please don't think that I have a grudge against this camera, I don't. It had the potential to be a truely great camera, a modern Super Ikonta, but God knows what happened along the way. Perhaps there was some cost cutting, I don't know, but definitely a case of "close but no cocoanut"
I also remembered that I had a light leak not caused by the bellows. the body developed a hair line crack on the hinge side of the opening front. I was told by the guy a Fuji (UK) that they had had several cases of this. It was cured by sticking a piece of rubber the same as the grip, over the area.
I'm a very careful user of my cameras, so I could not recommend the camera for hard use, or rely on it as the only camera for a once in a lifetime trip!!

Last edited:
I've owned two over the years, had no trouble with either, and had severe sellers remorse immediately after the sales. I'm now looking at a third. The key to staving off failure is to always remember to have lens focussed to infinity and the shutter cocked when you fold it. Great lens and a pretty good meter.

Second the suggestion for Camera Wiz; he did a great job at reasonable price on a GS645S (fixed 60mm) that had problems with the meter, the RF, and broken lens mount parts. Came back quickly and works like new.

I have read comments complaining of long turnaround
time for repairs sent to Camera Wiz.
Has anyone here used them in the last few months?
I'd like to get my GS645 serviced...

Chris

Not recently, but back in July 03, my repair by Camera Wiz took just a month including shipping both ways between Washington State and Virginia.

I've just bought one of these on ebay (awaiting delivery). You guys are scaring the hell out of me!

Anyone know of where to get them serviced in the UK?

Also any hints and tips of use would be helpful for a MF newbie.

Cheers,

Bob.

Bill Orford at +44 (1793) 695025 did my bellows and a CLA when I had the inevitable light leak. Been very happy with it since though!

Flinor said:
...The key to staving off failure is to always remember to have lens focussed to infinity and the shutter cocked when you fold it. Great lens and a pretty good meter.

This is key! hard to remember the first few times, but then it quickly becomes second nature. You'll wonder what you did wrong trying to close it once or twice.

I've found Frank to be very good at estimating how long repairs will take. He's been at this for a while. Do call first and be sure he has bellows in stock- I had a friend who needed a bellows while Frank was waiting to get them from Fuji- their delays were the problem.

I've not had the folding model, but recall comments that the original bellows is not very durable. A paper-based product? I seem also to recall mention that a third party was offering better-quality leather bellows for these Fujis. Would be a nice upgrade.

I am excited and terrified by what you guys have to say about my little camera. I am going to send it to camera wiz and hope for the best.
Thanks Paul.

Back