Konica LTM Hexanon 50/1.9?

Konica M39 lenses

02Pilot

Malcontent
Local time
3:30 PM
As I'm clearly not completely cured of my lust for a Konica LTM lens (see my thread on the 50/2.4 from a few weeks ago), I'm now back to ask about the older 50/1.9. I have a Konica III with the 48/2, and I shot a roll through it recently and was pleasantly reminded of how much I like the lens.

My first question then is simple: does anyone know if the 50/1.9 is the same basic design as the 48/2 or 50/2 that were mounted on the Konica fixed-lens III-series cameras?

Beyond that, any comments on the 50/1.9? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information anywhere. Thanks.

I can't comment on the 50/1.9 but I have noticed their prices are getting higher and higher.

Don't forget, there's also the 50/1.8 on the later IIIa and IIIm which I understand is quite spectacular, probably the best of the bunch. I am biding my time until a decent IIIa with the 1.8 comes up at a reasonable price (but not holding my breath).

I like the idea of the IIIa, but I already have the III, which is great apart from the small viewfinder, and which I am not selling because it was my grandfather's. I find I tend to prefer using my screwmount Leicas in any case, so I think the LTM lens is my first best option, but I would like to know more about it before spending the money. Not that I would refuse a IIIa if one came along at the right price, mind you....

I can't comment on the 50/1.9 but I have noticed their prices are getting higher and higher.

Don't forget, there's also the 50/1.8 on the later IIIa and IIIm which I understand is quite spectacular, probably the best of the bunch. I am biding my time until a decent IIIa with the 1.8 comes up at a reasonable price (but not holding my breath).

Don't know your definition of reasonable but Japan Camera Exchange (sangetsu03) on ebay often sells Konica IIIa that have already been CLAs with the rangefinders cleaned and the shutters overhauled. I bought one from them a couple of years ago and it was in great shape and works well. As part of the overhaul they also disconnected the LV interlock which is nice.

Shawn

Thanks for that. I found a similar block diagram, but I hadn't associated it with the Ultron design. I also found a mention on one of the wikis that said this lens was substantially similar to the 48/2 on the Konica III, which may be as much of a confirmation as I'm going to find.

Now to rummage through the pile to see what I can sell off to fund this thing....

I know nothing about its design, but I've found the 50/1.9 Hexanon in LTM to be an excellent lens. For some reason (rarity?), the asking prices on eBay tend to be outrageously high (like the Chiyoda Kogaku 5cm/1.8 Super Rokkor), but I was able find an affordable "cosmetically-challenged" example w/good glass.

Here's a boring shot to illustrate its performance at f/1.9 on an M240:

16560015574_f82b9c9c64_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furcafe/16560015574/

As I'm clearly not completely cured of my lust for a Konica LTM lens (see my thread on the 50/2.4 from a few weeks ago), I'm now back to ask about the older 50/1.9. I have a Konica III with the 48/2, and I shot a roll through it recently and was pleasantly reminded of how much I like the lens.

My first question then is simple: does anyone know if the 50/1.9 is the same basic design as the 48/2 or 50/2 that were mounted on the Konica fixed-lens III-series cameras?

Beyond that, any comments on the 50/1.9? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information anywhere. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is it as sharp as the Hexanon 50/2.4?

I doubt it. The 48/2 I have is nicely sharp for a 50s lens, but I doubt it would be comparable to the much more modern 50/2.4. I'm more interested in it for the out-of-focus rendering, which furcafe's shot demonstrates.

My curiosity got the best of me; a (hopefully) nice example of the 50/1.9 is on its way to me. I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

Agreed on "sharpness", if we're talking about resolution, but the 50/1.9 (my example, anyway) is very good for a 1950s lens, particularly in contrast & flare-resistance, a bit better than other well-regarded LTM contemporaries like the 50/1.8 Canon & 5cm/2 Super Rokkor (currently trying out a 5cm/1.8 Super Rokkor).

I doubt it. The 48/2 I have is nicely sharp for a 50s lens, but I doubt it would be comparable to the much more modern 50/2.4. I'm more interested in it for the out-of-focus rendering, which furcafe's shot demonstrates.

Agreed on "sharpness", if we're talking about resolution, but the 50/1.9 (my example, anyway) is very good for a 1950s lens, particularly in contrast & flare-resistance, a bit better than other well-regarded LTM contemporaries like the 50/1.8 Canon & 5cm/2 Super Rokkor (currently trying out a 5cm/1.8 Super Rokkor).

I'm pleased to hear that. I tend to use lens hoods on most lenses, but it's nice to know that the lens is well-controlled.

It has arrived. Got it mounted on my IIIg and loaded with FP4+ so I can concentrate on wider apertures during the test roll.

40103333854_44f5dcd8c4_c.jpg

Lovely! I have one coming later this week. I got it rather cheap because it's in need of an overhaul and has some front element scratches. Performance shouldn't suffer, I hope. I also have the 48/2, but in a IIA.

A few scratches shouldn't make much, if any, difference. The Hexanon takes 40.5mm filters, which means that hoods are readily available.

That is a mouth-watering combo. And I like the sample shot too. It looks Summicron-like

It is pretty, isn't it? Nice to use, too. I'm quite pleased with it.

I never had a Summicron, so I can't comment on the specific comparison, but given the reputation of the Leitz lens, it sounds like high praise.

A few scratches shouldn't make much, if any, difference. The Hexanon takes 40.5mm filters, which means that hoods are readily available.
Many of these take 39.5mm filters. I just got one, and it is the same. I was able to find a 39.5 to 40.5 step up ring on AliExpress.

Back