Italy Travel with Digital and Film.

I live in California and traveled to Croatia and Slovenia in September. Flew out of SFO. No sign of the new CT scanners and no problem getting a hand inspection of the film I was carrying. Don’t know if next year will be different, but for now I’ll stick w taking one film camera and one digicam…

I have been lugging the Nikon D800E through France in 2016, 2017 and 2018 together with the Zeiss ZF Distagons 2,8/21 mm and 2/35 mm.
At the end of 2018 I decided I had enough of it and I would be more productive with less weight on the shoulder and a smaller camera in my hands. Now I'm using Fuji X-T3 for interchangeable lenses and a X100V if 65° angle of view is all I need. I feel I should have kept the 2/35mm for my Nikon FE2 but other than that I don't regret sizing my equipment down at all.

The Fujinon 23/2.0 would be an ideal 'duplicate' of your 35/2.0 FF. For my XE2 I have the 23/1.4, a hefty beast of a lens, but it produces truly gorgeous images. I see more as a '28 photographer so my standard lens is the Fujinon 18/2.0, but the '23 is also a favorite, if less often used than the wider '18.

My equivalent of your Zeiss 21/2.8 is the Fujinon 14/2.8. This is a brilliant lens and I really should make more use of it, 'tho my style of photography is more distance architectural than tight interior situations, so the '18 suffices for my needs.

Like you, I have no regrets at all about downsizing my gear, tho' in my case I've kept my FF Nikons. I'm tempted to take them all in (two D800s, two D700s) and trade them in on something smaller, but so far I've not been able to make up my mind what I would replace them with. This indecision is typically me. One of these days I will visit my camera dealer in Melbourne and find THE camera I want and boom! the deal will be done.

I have an essentially similar trip coming up, to Athens at the end of January. I initially thought it would be nice to have full frame, for me that means the Pentax K-1 II with a couple of lenses. But I took an overnight trip a week ago to Victoria, British Columbia, and walked around a lot with the camera and lenses in a backpack. Now I'm planning a SMALL kit. Probably the Ricoh GRIIIx and Olympus EM5II with a zoom (I just bought the 12-45mm f4 used and am playing around with it, making sure I want to keep it).

I'd bring some film too, but I really want to travel light. I have fond memories of exploring old Boston with the Ricoh 500G and B&W film.

Back