Jobo 2021 film sheet size

valdas

Mentor
Local time
12:48 AM
I thought that this lockdown is a perfect time to start some new projects. I always wanted to try large format. Now I found quite a nice Super Graphic on ebay and seriously consider buying it. But before that I wanted to make sure I am prepared from LF processing point of view. Scanning is no problem - I have Epson V700, so it will do. After some digging in my basement I found some development tanks and reels that came with CPE processor which I bought many years ago. Apparently reels are for LF, but I am not sure it will hold 4x5 sheets. Those are Jobo reels and I can see on them No 2021. So I googled and it looks those are for 4x5 sheets. However, I measured the height of a reel and it's only 9 cm which is more like 3.5in not 4. So I am confused. I don't have any film sheets to try so I am wondering if I can get an advice here. Will 4x5 fit into this reel? I also see there are sheets available of slightly different size - 9x12 cm (3.5x4.7in). Maybe I can only use those? And if that's the case, will that particular Graflex handle this format (do I need different film holders?). Some basic questions, but like I said - I am absolute beginner in LF.

P.S. Investigated some more - it seems that Jobo 2021 is for 9x12 cm sheet film, so too small for 4x5 in. I have also find some info that 4x5 holders should be fine for 9x12 com sheets. Is that really so?

I don't think 4x5 sheets will fit in there (but maybe someone has more info than me). 9x12 is a dead format, you can get Linhof 9x12 film holders but you'll have to special-order film from Ilford or cut it down yourself. I don't think it's worth it, just to fit in your tank.

With Jobo processors with lifts, I have used the 3006 (6 sheet) and 3010 (10 sheet) tanks for years. I think nearly everyone working with 4x5 film and Jobo processors uses these. They are great tanks for color film processing. Necessary accessories for these are a little air pump to force the lid off, and a sponge-brush for cleaning.

For black and white film, many don't like the contrast from the constant agitation of the Jobo. I use a Patterson tank with the MOD54 insert. This is essentially a plastic/3D printed holder for six sheets of 4x5 film.

If you're using a drum/tank that only takes six sheets at a time, it makes sense to use a few grafmatic holders (which hold six sheets of film). This way, each grafmatic can be treated like a "roll" of film to process. Of course, standard double-darkslides work fine too.

I don't think 4x5 sheets will fit in there (but maybe someone has more info than me). 9x12 is a dead format, you can get Linhof 9x12 film holders but you'll have to special-order film from Ilford or cut it down yourself. I don't think it's worth it, just to fit in your tank.

What do you mean dead? In terms of film availability or processing accessories (holders, reels etc.). As to the film - there is no problem to get it here in Europe, I think it is still quite popular. Holders might be an issue if those 4x5 won't take 9x12 sheets.

What do you mean dead? In terms of film availability or processing accessories (holders, reels etc.). As to the film - there is no problem to get it here in Europe, I think it is still quite popular. Holders might be an issue those if 4x5 won't take 9x12 sheets.

I'm in Norway, and there is no 9x12 film available here that I've found. There is no color 9x12 film made anywhere in the world. Maybe you can find some boxes of one or two stocks of Ilford or Foma, but it's not a popular format. For instance, there is no 9x12 film holder for your V700, so you will need to wet-mount each sheet for scanning.

There is information here about using 9x12 holders on Graflex cameras: https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/
However, I think you'll find 4x5 a much more useful format between purchasing film, using a plethora of available film holders, developing tanks, and scanners.

I'm in Norway, and there is no 9x12 film available here that I've found. There is no color 9x12 film made anywhere in the world. Maybe you can find some boxes of one or two stocks of Ilford or Foma, but it's not a popular format. For instance, there is no 9x12 film holder for your V700, so you will need to wet-mount each sheet for scanning.

There is information here about using 9x12 holders on Graflex cameras: https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/
However, I think you'll find 4x5 a much more useful format between purchasing film, using a plethora of available film holders, developing tanks, and scanners.

Both fotoimpex and macodirect have Foma, Ilford and Adox film in 9x12. I only buy film online anyway. I found Linhof holders 9x12 for 4x5 cameras. But you are right, I need to re-think scanning options. Or find some reels for 4x5 film.

I have also find this thing - apparately it can take 4x5 sheets, but I could not find any tank to go together with this one. I don't even know what model it is to google any accessories. Any ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
I have also find this thing - apparately it can take 4x5 sheets, but I could not find any tank to go together with this one. I don't even know what model it is to google any accessories. Any ideas?

attachment.php

The 2021 reel is an older type of jobo reel. The later one, the 2509 is for the 2500 series tanks, and is adjustable for different film sizes including 4x5 and 9x12. They are a good option. The 3006 and 3010 Expert tanks are great, but they may cost you as much as the camera at current prices.
I'd stick to 4x5 as it will be easier to find film and holders. It just makes more sense.
I have one of these processors also, but I don't have the matching tank. I prefer jobo because of the efficiency of chemicals used anyhow. I do use this in a larger open bucket as my film washer, which works fine.

Great, thanks all for inputs and suggestions. I went for 2509 reels (still available at maco and fotoimpex) as it seems to be the most practical option in my case.

The 2021 reel is an older type of jobo reel. The later one, the 2509 is for the 2500 series tanks, and is adjustable for different film sizes including 4x5 and 9x12. They are a good option. The 3006 and 3010 Expert tanks are great, but they may cost you as much as the camera at current prices.
I'd stick to 4x5 as it will be easier to find film and holders. It just makes more sense.
I have one of these processors also, but I don't have the matching tank. I prefer jobo because of the efficiency of chemicals used anyhow. I do use this in a larger open bucket as my film washer, which works fine.

Thanks. By the way, do you know if 2509 fits into Jobo 4322 (it works well for 2021 reels)?

Thanks. By the way, do you know if 2509 fits into Jobo 4322 (it works well for 2021 reels)?

I don't know. They were not designed for those tanks. I do also have a 4530, which is an older generation jobo, and they do fit in that diameter tank, but I don't have a core to check if that would fit. Ideally I would just look for a 2500 series tank. I have 2 of them in a multitank 5.

The 2509 is 128mm diameter, and 106mm high. The core is 24mm diameter.

I don't know. They were not designed for those tanks. I do also have a 4530, which is an older generation jobo, and they do fit in that diameter tank, but I don't have a core to check if that would fit. Ideally I would just look for a 2500 series tank. I have 2 of them in a multitank 5.

The 2509 is 128mm diameter, and 106mm high. The core is 24mm diameter.

I'll see - 2509 is on the way from Fotoimpex. If it does not fit I will need to buy 25xx series tank, but I hope it will work as the core for 45xx fits the newer series reels, those things are quite universal/interchangeable.

attachment.php
Did you ever find out what that model is? (Seems one of the pictures is not online anymore, but the other still is visible in this thread.)

attachment.php
Yankee daylight tank....I've got one, very poor, leaks everywhere....uneven agitation....

Back