Jupiter LTM Jupiter 3 or Jupiter 8?

Jupiter M39 lenses
I forgot to add that - compared to the 7S - the FEDs have another advantage "No Mercury Batteries Required"...

Regards, David

I forgot to add that - compared to the 7S - the FEDs have another advantage "No Mercury Batteries Required"...

Regards, David

7s works in fully manual mode (no battery required), then it works fine with LR/SR batteries or a simple voltage reducing adaptor is a simple solution (I use those for OM1). Fed’s advantage (if we try to find such) might be multi-lens capability and smaller size.

Different beasties but all rather fun. After a day out with the Leica III, an M3 and a Rolleiflex, I think the Zorki would provide the viewfinder of the M3 (a bit less good) and the lens capability of the III, so it strikes me as a good compromise. But I must have had at least ten people come up to me to chat about the Rolleiflex, and, again, be offered darkroom equipment and a full Mamiya RZ67 kit of lenses. It's one of many reasons why I like funny old cameras - you get to talk a lot!

Now to a lot of developing...

Different beasties but all rather fun. After a day out with the Leica III, an M3 and a Rolleiflex, I think the Zorki would provide the viewfinder of the M3 (a bit less good) and the lens capability of the III, so it strikes me as a good compromise. But I must have had at least ten people come up to me to chat about the Rolleiflex, and, again, be offered darkroom equipment and a full Mamiya RZ67 kit of lenses. It's one of many reasons why I like funny old cameras - you get to talk a lot!

You can’t beat Rolleiflex when it comes to getting attention, I experienced that many times.

I have no idea why you are spending time to get FSU RF if you have working III. Any FSU RF LTM is just bad copy or simply ugly and bad function camera comparing to III. Zorki VF has nothing to do with M3 VF.
If you need best 50 mm VF ever made get SBOOI.

III, M3 and Rollei is one if not the best set for film. FSU will add nothing to it. But J3, J-12, Orion-15 and Russar are great lenses on film Leica.

I have Zorki from serviced by one of the best, if not best service person for FSU LTM RF (he is not available for outsiders). It lasted few months with frequent use and now has typical FSU LTM uneven exposure. I can't re-adjust it.
In opposite my Australian buddy Lynn has LTM Leica which comes to him with unknown service history as working and it just keeps on working.

The FSU LTM RF were made for soviet service centers. It was government job. No matter if you spend one month with just one camera. This is what FSU RF LTM is. You have to have time to fix it....

Fair points Ko.Fe, well made.

The III is generally reliable but misses the odd shot. It was serviced a year ago and came from a top London dealer. Ultimately, I find focussing slow and very difficult in low light. I took it out to photograph old cars of the same age as the camera, and they were going nowhere quickly.

I am increasingly uncomfortable using the M3 for street photography - it is too recognisable now and too valuable. I am entirely unbothered about carting round a piece of Soviet kit, if nothing else, it looks like a fine defensive tool!

Did some lens testing with it on the A7s on tripod with measurements done with a tape measure. There's about a cm of front focussing at 1m at f1.5, largely gone by f2. At 5, 7 & 10 meters, F1.5 is slightly out but all the other apertures are absolutely spot on.

This is why shimming is sometimes required. Only 1cm off for a Jup-3 actually is pretty good. Many were 4-5cms front focusing.

The Sonnar has focus drift as per the design, and the closest focus wide open is set to agree with the Contax standard that Zorki and FED cameras are made with, not the Leica standard which is a wee bit shorter.

The idea is to shim for wide open closest focus, and when focusing further away, let the increasing DOF cover any focusing inadequacies.

The III is generally reliable but misses the odd shot. It was serviced a year ago and came from a top London dealer. Ultimately, I find focussing slow and very difficult in low light. I took it out to photograph old cars of the same age as the camera, and they were going nowhere quickly.

I am increasingly uncomfortable using the M3 for street photography - it is too recognisable now and too valuable. I am entirely unbothered about carting round a piece of Soviet kit, if nothing else, it looks like a fine defensive tool!

I find the old and new Leicas to be no different from any other camera in that they all need regular servicing and bad wear and tear take them beyond the servicable point. Alas, you don't get a log book with them - unlike aircraft - so what can we do? So far I've scrapped two, one old and one newish as they were past the point they could be helped.

BTW, I'm shocked, shocked*, that you have no SLR in your line up.

My classic film line up is the Leica CL, Olympus XA and Pentax ME super. The problem is that each of the three have a few closely following them in the order of merit and then there's digital...

Regards, David

* This is a reference to a scene in the film "Casablanca" btw.

This is why shimming is sometimes required. Only 1cm off for a Jup-3 actually is pretty good. Many were 4-5cms front focusing.

The Sonnar has focus drift as per the design, and the closest focus wide open is set to agree with the Contax standard that Zorki and FED cameras are made with, not the Leica standard which is a wee bit shorter.

The idea is to shim for wide open closest focus, and when focusing further away, let the increasing DOF cover any focusing inadequacies.

I would love to have this widely known but alas...

The strange thing is that CZ lenses are seen as perfect and Jupiters spoilt by those wicked Soviet workers. A great pity as I know someone who took a J-8 to bits and measured everything against a Sonnar and decided that they were exact copies.

Regards, David

I got the Casablanca bit!

I do have more than the odd SLR, but yesterday was an historic motorsport event and I like to shoot the cars with old cameras. Ko.Fe can rest assured none of them are, or will be, FSU as I started with a Zenit 38 years ago and I see no reason to return.

But my SLR line up has a Leica R7, a Nikon F2 and lenses, plus some highways and byways that I need to sort!

M3 is under 1K$ camera. Not really valuable.
Been recognized on the street is part of the honest, humanist photography.
HCB was acting like hunting crane bird and GW was just plowing through.

You'll be better served with Bessa L or R for the street than any FSU.

The only thing which bugs me with film M is cost of the service. But at lest it is still more less obtainable comparing to FSU.

If you really want to try it, get half a dozen of FED-2 and make one working.
Use Jay Fedka Zorki service pages as instructions for rehaull.
eBay has curtains material for it. And here is one guy from Ukraine who sells instructions video how to fix fed-2 as well.
Fed-2 has tinted vf and film is advancible with one stroke of index finger, on late models. It is the only FSU LTM RF which is beautiful, the rest is ugly ducklings.

I got the Casablanca bit!

I do have more than the odd SLR, but yesterday was an historic motorsport event and I like to shoot the cars with old cameras. Ko.Fe can rest assured none of them are, or will be, FSU as I started with a Zenit 38 years ago and I see no reason to return.

But my SLR line up has a Leica R7, a Nikon F2 and lenses, plus some highways and byways that I need to sort!

I'm amazed, no one these days seems to have seen it or even recognise the title; same goes for L&H etc, etc. A great shame...

As for matching the camera to the subject, this is what I often shoot and cameras of that vintage are a bit beyond me. Or rather the repairs and plates are.

09535-XL.jpg

I wish I still had my R5 it worked well at airshows; like a superior P&S.

Regards, David

PS An old car photo for you, taken in the car park at an airshow:-

Photo%2028-XL.jpg

...Fed-2 has tinted vf and film is advancible with one stroke of index finger, on late models. It is the only FSU LTM RF which is beautiful, the rest is ugly ducklings.

I wish you hadn't mentioned that version. I can see more expense coming along...

Regards, David

Very nice David - that must be Old Warden I assume! You are just a bit before really portable cameras with that era.

The reason I take the Rolleiflex is that I go to the Bugatti Owners Club Prescott Hillclimb. That opened in 1938 and the great Ettore Bugatti himself was photographed at that event taking photos with his Rolleiflex.

By coincidence, this original Bugatti works racing car was present in 1938 and back in 2018.

type39-1-of-1.jpg

Another Jupiter 3 on its way back to the vendor, with haze and fungus that the 100% positive feedback Ukranian seller somehow overlooked.

The English seller of the Zorki 3 I returned didn't bother to refund so Ebay did so. It must be me, but as a source of stuff it's become so poor.

However, a Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 arrived and I've just put a 24 roll of HP5 through it testing all the shutter speeds and absolutely no issues. It's a bit lower rent than the 3, the shutter speed is fiddly to set and the shutter goes off like a pistol crack, but every image has been fine. I didn't get much of a chance to shoot wide open as it has been sunny plus a 400iso film. But it's sharp enough.

Back lane in Plymouth's Barbican. HP5+ in Ilfosol 3

barbicanlanehp5-1-of-1.jpg

If you're intent on trying out FSU gear, I would suggest a Zorki-6 as perhaps the most ergonomic variant, and the Fed-3 as the most indestructible.

Fedka in NYC sells the J-3. Might be more $$ than the Ukrainian sources on ebay, but your chances of getting a winner are much, much, much greater.

Oh, just looked and I see you're in UK. Fedka is not as attractive an option now, expense-wise.

If you're intent on trying out FSU gear, I would suggest a Zorki-6 as perhaps the most ergonomic variant, and the Fed-3 as the most indestructible.

Fedka in NYC sells the J-3. Might be more $$ than the Ukrainian sources on ebay, but your chances of getting a winner are much, much, much greater.

Oh, just looked and I see you're in UK. Fedka is not as attractive an option now, expense-wise.

Z-6 s with sharp tooths on stiff realese. With advance travel way too long. It looks nice, but I have sore index finger after couple of rolls with it.
And I never made FED3 working again :).

Another Jupiter 3 on its way back to the vendor, with haze and fungus that the 100% positive feedback Ukranian seller somehow overlooked.

The English seller of the Zorki 3 I returned didn't bother to refund so Ebay did so. It must be me, but as a source of stuff it's become so poor.

However, a Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 arrived and I've just put a 24 roll of HP5 through it testing all the shutter speeds and absolutely no issues. It's a bit lower rent than the 3, the shutter speed is fiddly to set and the shutter goes off like a pistol crack, but every image has been fine. I didn't get much of a chance to shoot wide open as it has been sunny plus a 400iso film. But it's sharp enough.

Back lane in Plymouth's Barbican. HP5+ in Ilfosol 3

barbicanlanehp5-1-of-1.jpg

That Zorki 4 and J-8 did alright.

Once you find a good Zorki 4 and a good J-8 lens combo, I would say they would be keepers and worth using.

Back