Kiev 4 shutter release stuck down

Sputty

Established
Local time
2:51 AM
Hi all,

I just received my first Kiev 4 in the mail. Having been duly warned to cock the shutter before setting speeds, I did so, and then turned it to bulb mode and removed the back so I could take a good look through the lens from behind.

However, the shutter release button seems to have locked itself down and will not pop back up. If I turn the film advance, the shutter does not cock, and the advance doesn't lock after a full turn, but rather turns indefinately.

I've found that if I lift if the advance knob as if to adjust shutter speed, and turn clockwise, the shutter moves up and down.

I'm unfamiliar with cameras of this type - have I managed to jam the shutter up? Or is there another explanation? What is the best way to fix this problem?

Thanks for you help,
Jonathon

Hmm. Did not work.

Will it hurt anything to disassemble the shutter release button collar and associated pieces while the shutter is still cocked?

I've tried holding the shutter button down while turning it. I have inserted a shutter release cable and holding it in to get the shutter to fire. None of these seem to work. Left with disassembling the shutter release itself as if I were going to remove the top plate but everything I read about this process says to fire the shutter first. Since I can't get the cocked shutter to fire it appears I'll have to start taking everything apart with the shutter still cocked.

Any other ideas?

Taking the top of the winding knob / shutter button apart will not hurt it.

If you take the 3 screws out of the collar. Only the top cover with the shutter button and a spring will come out. The rest of the knob is still locked down with three screws internally. The stem of the shutter button leading down in to the release mechanism will remain unaffected as well.

Sometimes enough dirt gets caked into and around the button itself to lock it in the depressed position.

Back