Leica CL meter repair and frame line delete

shawn

Mentor
Local time
7:52 PM
Two little mods on my CL today. Both done with copper tape.

I no longer have any 40mm lenses and I'm planning on just using the Voigtlander 50mm f2.5 Color Skopar with the CL. As such I wanted to see if I could get rid of the 40mm frame lines. I used very small slivers of copper tape to cover the 40mm frame lines.

[
53460534817_5b353f5ce4_c.jpg

Couldn't quite cover them entirely or it might have interfered with the mask when it switches to 90mm. That results in two tiny sections of the 40mm frameline still being visible but it does declutter the viewfinder nicely. I might have been able to use something to fill in the framelines directly but this way is easily reversible. If I went in from the back side it would have been easier to cover the lines but I didn't want to take this all apart.

53461769389_a17e5c97a2_c.jpg

My CL meter is jumpy. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it sort of stops responding while trying to meter. When it was being jumpy/weird I noticed that if I would hit the battery test button it would often seem to wake it up.

On this page, in the comments, the author responds to a person that had a very similar problem with their CL. The pointed out that the battery test wiper might be slightly out of position. To test this I removed the front panel and used a piece of the copper tape on where the battery test button presses to see if it would change the resting position of the wiper.

53461769419_39d60e9a93_c.jpg

Just finished putting it back together and so far the meter is dramatically more stable. Time will tell if it acts up again but so far so good.

Will diode mod it soon.

Last edited:
Back